Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

I’ve never owned a mobile gaming device, and I tend not to play games on my phone due to the small screen. How does playing on the Switch’s screen compare? I imagine it would be better to play something like Breath of the Wild on a TV then the small screen, but some types of games would be perfectly fine on the built in screen?

I also worry that if I get one in France that I won’t use it much when I get back home. I play 95% of my games on the PC even though I own a PS 4 (and have had other consoles). Is the Switch something that could buck that trend?

I played Zelda while on my bus to/from work for 10s of hours. Worked great for me.

The best games will adjust their UI to be more readable when in handheld mode.

Anecdotally, while I prefer gaming on my pc, I would say 90% of my gaming is now done on the switch in handheld mode while the wife and I watch something on tv. It comes down to having limited free hours and not wanting to be fully isolated like you are on a PC and not wanting to dominate the TV room like you are with the PS4.

I do something similar, when my wife and daughters are watching some princess film i play the Switch while sitting next to them and try and rescue the princesses myself.

Another Nindies showcase is happening on the 28th. I hope we get a Hyper Light Drifter release date.

I play mostly away from the tv, but have done both. I’d say it’s not wholly dissimilar from playing on a phone in terms of size, so you might prefer playing on tv.

OK, I found a place close to me here that has the Switch for 299 EUR. Hopefully that includes their tax. If I get one, I’m thinking about getting:
Zelda Breath of the Wild
Mario Odyssey
Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle

My son (11 years old) and I will be the principal players. He tends to like platformers (Rayman Origins and Legends are his favorites), although I’d like to introduce him to other types of games too - specially something that requires some thinking or planning.

Are these good game choices? I’ve heard that Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle are XCOM like battles, which I like.

I mostly want to stick with Nintendo Switch exclusives as I primarily play on PC, but am away from my PC until January.

Very good choices Rob. You should look at buying these digitally as well as they may be cheaper. Mario Rabbids is half price right now on the US store.

Oh and don’t forget to pick up hollow Knight for $10.

Can I buy from the US store while I’m in France? Is it through the console itself or a website?

Thanks

Edit: Is there anything preventing me from selling physical copies of games when I am done with it?

Yes; eShop always uses the region set in your Nintendo account. You can buy through the console or website.

Nope!

Be aware though, when buying cartridges from different countries you may need to change the region on the console itself to be able to play them (which is confusingly separate to the region set in your Nintendo account for purposes of eShop). Switch is not region locked so it’s a minor inconvenience, and requires a reboot.

OK, thanks. That is good to know.

Dead Cells is another good platformer roguelike(?) worth the price.

Those are both games I want but was planning on getting them on Steam when I’m back home. It is tempting though.

I did go out and pick up a Switch today and started playing Zelda BotW and Super Mario Odessey. Will pick up Rabbids Kingdom Battle from the eStore since it is on sale.

I have been repeatedly complaining about Battle Chasers being so much more expensive on Switch. I am not sure the Switch Tax is worth it for this game. Interestingly, this Ars Technica looks at the differences. Its not as bad as I thought, but there are extremes.

That average obscures a wide range of price discrepancies, of course, including some that end up in the Switch’s favor. In fact, a majority of titles listed on both platforms (55.8 percent) sell for the exact same price on both, and an additional 8.9 percent are cheaper on Nintendo’s eShop.

That said, the price discrepancy for the remainder of the Switch’s PC ports can be quite large. Payday 2 , for example, costs $50 on the Switch compared to just $10 on Steam. The 2016 Doom reboot runs $60 on Switch and $20 on Steam. Steam’s frequent sales can exacerbate the differences, too: De Blob is currently $30 on Switch but just $6.59 on Steam—down from a PC list price of $20.

It’s currently $25 and change on Amazon:

Battle Chasers: Nightwar - Nintendo Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072LMWGQS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZsTGBbVE6HVAZ

Oh wow, thank you!

Into the Breach is out today on the Switch, $14.99. I haven’t looked too closely at the game but I know it’s had a whole lot of positive buzz on the existing PC version, so I went ahead and grabbed it.

Sadly, I’m guessing this might be the end of Dead Cells for me, because I love that game, but I’m just not good enough to feel like I’m making progress. If I’ve got something new and shiny to play when I reach for my Switch now, Dead Cells is going to slip away…

Oh thanks for the heads-up. I don’t own Into The Breach on PC and the Switch seems a perfect fit.

GAAAAAAAAH!

Why didn’t I know this was happening!

Other news from the “Nindies” showcase today:

I’m personally excited about TowerFall, and curious about Untitled Goose Game, obviously.