Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

I’m not sure who’s paying $8 for Waku Waku 7.

I mean, I almost did. But I didn’t.

Civ VI November 16.

https://civilization.com/news/entries/civilization-vi-nintendo-switch-console-november-16-2018/

It will be interesting to see how long it takes the AI to play its turn considering the processor in the switch. It’s a shame they can’t port Civ IV with mod support ;)

Well they ported it to iOS, so we can probably guesstimate from the performance on older devices. I don’t know which Apple processor a Tegra X1 compares to CPU wise though.

This is a bit from the IGN review for Civ VI on iOS:

But even by default, my framerates sometimes suffered a bit as the screen grew crowded toward the end game. Enemy turns sometimes dragged on a bit toward the end as well (that happens on PC as well), but never so long as to annoy me to the point of exasperation. Unsurprisingly, it’s also a battery drainer, as the overly huge battery life icon in the upper right constantly reminded me. All the same, I once got a straight four-hour play session out of it.

This was played on the latest Ipad Pro, it will be interesting to see performance on the Switch.

Edit: Just read something else that the A11 is apparently double the speed of the Tegra X1.

Was Civ VI for the Switch the only thing revealed at the Nintendo Direct event last night?

The event was postponed because of the earthquakes in Japan.

I had heard that, but late last night I saw IGN talking about the “event in 35 minutes” so I thought it had already re-aired. Hopefully they can get things sorted out.

Looks like the announcement was pulled.

I’ll see if I pick this up. I hate rebuying stuff and I have Civ VI already. but haven’t played it in forever. If it works well on the Switch I might actually play it, though. Would probably be an instant-buy if the expansion Rise & Fall was included.

Yeah. I think the pocket Final Fantasy 15 was meant to be a “available now!” during the Direct instead of stealth releasing

I’d definitely wait and see on Civ 6 because it hits the CPU pretty hard. Last few turns might be “real time” in a bad way.

Unless it’s a real dog I think I’ll pick it up, AI problems notwithstanding. Hard strategy titles aren’t all that thick on the ground on the Switch, though it does have a surprising amount of tactics games.

Seeing a Switch port of Civ VI makes me wish for CivRev 3 on all the consoles instead. I wonder if we’ll see Civ VI on Xbox and PS4?

Been playing and love Arena of Valor. but with the official release I can’t use the name Shieldwolf because SHI words are considered controversial. WHAT THE HECK. Meanwhile I played against a Jack Koff and a FU Q&Mom

Either something about the Chinese word (seems very unlikely) or more likely, to stop people using variants of “shit”.

They could just delete all the AI code and roll a 1d6 on whether to declare war or move a unit and have little to no impact on how the game plays now. That’d significantly increase performance.

That would probably make the AI seem more capable, as well.

I’m super late to the party but…
I picked up a Switch recently with a few games. I’m primarily a hardcore PC gamer. The last home console I spent any time with was the N64. The Switch is a lovely piece of hardware, I’m really impressed. Just some initial thoughts:

Super Mario Odyssey
My last Mario was Super Mario 64 that I loved and played to death. Mario Odyssey just blows me away. It’s such a beautiful, polished product. I’m loving the tight controls and the “just one more moon” gameplay that keeps dragging me back in.

Zelda Breath of The Wild
I guess I’ve been spoiled by open world games on the PC because this feels like “babies first open world”. The visuals are pretty but the gameplay and non-existent story has me bored (so far). I hate that I spend my life picking up weapons that break in 4 hits. What am I missing here? - It seems massively overrated.
Note: I love Ocarina of Time, one of my favorite games of all time.

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
This has been a surprise hit for me. I picked it up on a whim because I liked the box art. Loving the XCom style gameplay and the rabbids are hilarious. Rabbid Princess Peach is pure awesome. I love how she whips out her mobile phone and takes selfies if you don’t move for a few moments.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
This seems like a typical JRPG so far and is sitting in my drawer until I can get a chance to put in some decent hours. Visuals are muddy and the voice acting of the main character is absolutely god-awful. However, the sheer scope is impressive and the battle system appears interesting.

I’m thinking of picking up Octopath Traveler as I’m a sucker for nostalgic style RPGs. If anyone has any other game recommendations it would be appreciated. I’d prefer console exclusives as I’ve most likely played any PC ports.

Being able to have a full-fat gaming experience in a (hybrid) handheld is just lovely. I’m still amazed by the fidelity every time I pull it out of my bag and switch it on.

If you haven’t played and beat them already on PC then I recommend Hollow Knight, Hyper Light Drifter and Dead Cells.

If you ever want incredibly accessible (but also great) multiplayer, Mario Kart is a no-brainer. I don’t play it a lot on my own, but it’s more than worth it to have when I visit my nephews. It’s a good one to buy digitally so it’s just always on the Switch whenever I need it (a good reason to invest in a memory card if you haven’t already).