Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

Overcooked 2 (not an exclusive, but PC isn’t great for couch co-op unless you have a Steamlink or something)

Picross S

Captain Toad’s Treasure Tracker

Okami HD

Valkyria Chronicles IV

I think part of my problem is getting used to the controls. The last time I even picked up a controller was back in the N64 days and I’m struggling somewhat. This doesn’t matter so much with Mario because the game is just so bright, inviting and energetic that failure isn’t very punishing. Zelda in comparison feels like a much more somber affair and I fumble especially under pressure (such as combat). From what I’ve read though I’m still on the tutorial island (woa, this is a loooong tutorial) and have barely scratched the surface so I’ll persevere for a while.

Thanks for the other recommendations. I’ve already ordered Mario Kart and will surely check out the rest :)

Also Splatoon 2 if you’re into multiplayer.

Weird. That’s kind of how BotW made me feel about PC open world games.

As has already been mentioned, it’s a great platform for a bunch of indies that you’ve already had a chance to play since you’ve got a PC. It’s how I played Stardew Valley, Dead Cells, Celeste, and Into the Breach.

It’s not the best way to play all of them—I love Celeste and finished that one, but both Celeste and Dead Cells will get better performance on the PC. So I know those aren’t the recommendations you’re really looking for, but I would like to call out Stardew Valley and Into the Breach as being perfectly suited for the handheld, portable nature of the Switch. It’s perfect to just pick up and play for short sessions here and there, or dock it and zone out all afternoon on the couch.

Back to exclusives, I also have ARMS and Snipper Clips.

ARMS is the 3D one on one brawler where everyone has springs for arms. It’s a clever, well executed mechanic with satisfying motion controls. I didn’t stay with it in the long run because it’s only in multiplayer that it really shines for me, and online multiplayer is welcome but I really only got into it on the rare occasions that I played local multiplayer.

Snipper Clips is the quirky little puzzly game where you control two little, uh, shapes? And you have to solve light physics puzzles by “cutting” the two of them into different shapes by overlapping them and then snipping the outline of one of them from the other. It’s not going to be for everyone, but it’s worth at least a look.

Or even if you’re not. I wasn’t (I’m still not for the most part), but Splatoon is a different animal in some aspects. It’s clicked for me in a way that most of the other popular multiplayer games haven’t.

I just picked up Golf Story and put a few minutes into it and I can already tell I’ll be spending a good amount of time with it.

In case any of you are as absentminded as me… I just realized last night that I have $15 in Nintendo coins/money/gold/whatever that I can spend on the Switch store. They expire after a year.

Luigi’s Mansion 3 in 2019!
The original Katamari Damacy for the Switch!
Cities Skylines!
Isabelle in Super Smash Bros.!
New Animal Crossing in 2019!

Seriously, there are just too many games to play these days.

Trying to figure out the Final Fantasy to try out give that there are so damn many coming.

9? Or maybe 12?

I played 12 and found it uninspired. 7 is still the best it’s ever been if you can get past its age. 9 is passable. 10 is supposedly good but I never played that one.

Man I strongly disagree. 7 is ok, but overrated. 6 is the best. In fact all 3 SNES era games are fantastic. 10 is good, but has some odd parts that might turn you off (the laugh…). 12 is better than average. Not as good as 4-6, but better than 7,8.

Just my take, but if you were only going to play one and hadn’t played any before, I definitely pick 6.

This is what I think as well. Too bad VI isn’t announced for the Switch (yet).

OK, going with 6 is fair :P

Can you hide or block the Nintendo eStore entirely from kids with parental controls? There’s a bunch of risque anime crap in there.

Also, can you hide games from kids, or do you have to erase them from the Switch?

You can set the eshop up to require your password. In fact I think that’s the default. I guess don’t give your kids the password.

Not sure about hiding games, though.

There’s a simple answer to all of this, though. Just buy another Switch for the kids! Easy peasy.

So next week you will no longer be able to unlink your account from the Switch. I double checked, I’m linked up with my Nintendo account and it’s all good, but what happens if I want to sell it some day? How does that work? Not that I want to per se, but still, it’s worth asking I think.

I also read that with the upcoming change/subscription, it’s possible cloud saves will not work unless you are a subscriber.

I think you can still unlink your account from the Switch hardware. But the User profile on your Switch is going to be permanently linked to your Nintendo (i.e. eShop) account. That means the save games (in your User profile) will be permanently linked to a Nintendo account (in the cloud). Kind of like how a user profile on an Android phone is linked to a Google account in the cloud.

When you sell your Switch, they are both wiped together.