Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

She does like RPG’s. but not typically Japanese RPG’s, but I see that one’s a tactical RPG so might be doing stuff different. Will give it a look. Thanks!

Golf Story, in particular, looks right up her fairway. Thanks!

A couple more high recommendations that I forgot at first because I played them on Steam: Into the Breach is a fantastic little generator of tactical puzzles. And Steamworld Heist is a great side scrolling turn based tactics game. And West of Loathing, which I’m playing now, is a light RPG worth playing primarily for the often hilarious writing.

Oh, there’s also an actual Harvest Moon game if she wants to see what inspired Stardew Valley. And I haven’t played them myself, but Moonlighter and Holy Potatoes a Weapon Shop look to do something similar with mixing business management strategy with light action.

If she likes the top down action and exploration side of Stardew, a Zelda-like such as Blossom Tale or Ittle Dew 2 or Minit might be good.

Letter Quest and Spellspire are word puzzle RPGs, if that appeals to her.

There’s lot’s more than first appears! Lots of it indies she may / may not have already played in other places though.

Strategy-ish highlights (though there are many more so-so ones I may have missed)

Civ, Valkyria Chronicles & 4, Darkest Dungeon, Prison Architect, Into the Breach, Minecraft, Mario Rabbids, Don’t Starve, Steamworld Heist, Golf Story, Stardew Valley, Steamworld Dig, Moonlighter, Undertale ?

Puzzle:
If she doesn’t mind music puzzle stuff there are good ones. Luminees, Voez, Thumper, Deemo

Forgot one:
Puyo Tetris if she likes that kind of thing.

Diego

I’m with @Thraeg, Into the Breach sounds perfect.

Gamedev story is on switch but it’s expensive at $12 when it’s so cheap on phones. Dungeon village is okay, hot springs is not very good.

Not yet mentioned… Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is a pretty nice little puzzle game.

Thanks, everyone. Definitely got me over the hurdle of deciding whether a Switch is a good Christmas gift. Ordered! I’ll dive into the games and figure out a couple to start her off with.

Captain Toad is a blast. Do not sleep on that!

2019, now with Japanese voices:

Has anyone ever used the IR camera thing on the right joycon? As far as I know the only game that’s used it is 1 2 switch.

The Labo stuff uses it extensively. Apart from that I think some Resident Evils did, not sure what else.

I bought my daughter a Labo kit for Xmas and it’s great! She loves assembling stuff and is super pleased with using the controls to play. I bought her the Vehicles kit (#3).

I saw this, and thought of @BrianRubin.
Has anyone played it?
https://youtu.be/-mGPmDsQTj4

It’s fantastic on PC, I can tell you that.

Best space combat game since X-Wing

I’ve only played a little, but I was really struggling with the controls. Sucks that we can’t tweak the mapping to our liking.

Er…TIE Fighter and Freepace 2 would like to have a word in this dark alley back here…

Never heard of them ;)

Perhaps you know of Freespace 2 by the name “Vomit Inducer 2000”?