Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

Games will sell me, not developers. It’s not bad news to see all those names, but it’s too soon for me to believe third party support won’t be a problem down the road.

Exactly. Everyone does this with every console release.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130410005702/en/Nintendo’s-Third-Party-Partners-Rolling-Great-Wii-Games

Seriously. If I remember right WiiU had a similar list and we all saw how that worked out in the end. I see no reason to believe this will be anything other than primarily a Nintendo IP player.

The Wii U list was about half as big.

Qt3 is awesome when you want to ruin any enjoyment you have of anything. Thanks for reminding me of that fact today, folks!

Don’t generalize Dave, we’re only here to shit on Nintendo!

Don’t generalize Schmidt, I’m not!

Dave I’ll join you in being the voice of optimism. This’ll be great, forget the haters ;)

Ok too optimistic. But I do see this as some potential, and maybe my first console purchase in a decade. Maybe.

And if it is just a Nintendo IP machine? that may be enough for me. Just put Metroid there, and I will be too.

QT3 actually exists as a highly coordinated, decentralized organization who’s sole purpose is to ruin your day.

But seriously, speaking only for myself, of course, I’m trying to see how this is good for Nintendo, and my complaint, such as it is, is that so far it is not self-evident that this will do better than the Wii U.

And I own the Wii U, and I like the Wii U.

But nothing in the rumors that just solidified as announcements clearly says to me “here are the ways we will solve the problems the Wii U had”. It’s cool looking tech that we can all hope catches on, I can see some appeal of the unified portable/home console, but it’s all just another big gamble right now. I’m not saying it can’t work, but nothing they have shown has earned the assumption that this will succeed.

Nah. I’m still optimistic about Switch. Like some others have said, so what if it’s basically a Nintendo IP machine? As long as I get Splatoon 2 and Zelda, I’ll be happy.

Well, I do think it looks like a cool Nintendo IP machine, and I think a union between portable and home machines is an exciting move. Nintendo fans should be excited.

That said, I think for many it’s a big ask to get people to invest in another platform just to play Nintendo games.

Hey, I fully agree. I’m in wait and see mode, but it is wait and see where I am looking for a reason to go in, not stay out.

Technically, I’m an external contractor. I specialize in Minute-to-Minute Day Ruination Strategies and Comprehensive Suck Metrics, and can command top dollar for my work, but I haven’t really drunk the company Koolaid with respect to your day in particular, @DaveLong.

Piggy-backing on that, I’d be considerably less worried about the Switch if I had a crystal ball and could tell you that Nintendo would just continue to create cool new Nintendo IP machines every three or four years for the rest of my life.

Maybe they will! Maybe they truly can survive just fine on that. But the narrative in my head is that they need a course correction from the cool Nintendo IP machine that was the Wii U, so I just assume that they can’t do their own thing indefinitely. And I don’t know the inner workings and financials of Nintendo, but this isn’t a narrative I just dreamt up, it’s what I think is a reasonable conclusion from keeping up with gaming news.

I don’t want Nintendo to keep making fun mistakes, not because I don’t like the fun, but because I think they can only do that for so long before it kills them.

One of those times a like button would be so worth it.

The reaction here has been strange.

I have never owned a Nintendo console in my life and I am actually really excited about this announcement. Looks like a vision I and my son would enjoy.

There is a lot of this in the thread though:

^ whose

Nintendo with some more info:

[quote]
“The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system.”[/quote]

The Nintendo rep declined to comment when asked whether or not the unit had a touchscreen.

Dammit! The machine had turned on me now and it seems my iPad’s autocorrect is in on it. Dastardly!

Well that’s the real question I suppose; are there enough Nintendo fans to support Nintendo continuing to produce Nintendo IP machines?

I assume that this device is an effort to consolidate that fan base on to a single machine to create a larger install base for the games. I think Nintendo probably realizes that their market share is shrinking and are trying to adjust.

For my own tastes Nintendo is kinda meh these days, but they do always manage to do something interesting. Depending on price I could see a situation where one Nintendo device to play all Nintendo’s offerings could be enticing.

I have a unique living situation where every other week I live in a different state (CO and WI). I’m on a flight once a week and the Switch would be perfect for my living situation. Play Zelda, take on plane to continue playing, play at house 2, repeat.