Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

I’m being serious what is the major difference? It’s a giant world full of soulless mannequins and terrible combat copied from Hexen.

And yet I keep buying them, because I’m a sucker for hype.

Super Mario World to Super Mario 64 is a change.

I’m not the one saying it hasn’t changed. So I am asking you, what has to change for it to qualify as a change in your mind. What does a developer have to deliver in order for you to accept it as a “change” in an existing franchise?

Mario 64, Zelda 2, Metroid Prime, Castlevania SotN, Final Fantasy 7 (maybe not, it just went 3D but it’s basically the same game as the snes ones)

Maybe my point is not a lot of devs have the courage to try something new.

So if a game goes from platform to 3D to Open world… that is the “same game” if nothing else changes?

To be clear, this is an honest question not a challenge. I am trying to under this POV.

I dunno Nesrie, this is an art not a science :)

I think you have to look at the bigger picture. Look at what else falls into place here if someone is taking that deal:

They are trading in their Wii U (obviously)
They are very likely trading in games for Wii U
They are very likely trading in peripherals for Wii U
They are preordering a Switch
They are probably preordering 1 or more Switch games.
They will very likely be buying 1 or more switch games at release
They will very likely be buying 1 or more peripherals at release

A deal like that is about more than making money on a used Wii U. It is about capturing customers making the move to Switch and stocking up on used Wii U merch. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see a deal down the road for used Wii U systems, depending on how many make the move to Switch.

I know Gamestop gets a bad rap from a lot of people, but this sort of thing is why I liked working for the company. This kind of deal genuinely benefits both the customer and the store. Yes, there were policies I didn’t care for at times, but generally speaking when I was a store manager I truly believe my staff and I did right by our customers and made their gaming lives better.

I thought about it a bit more.

Street fighter 4 went 3D and online but it’s not a real change to the series, just an evolution. If they went full 3D, Tekken style, that would be a change, and probably a bad one for the fans of Street Fighter.

If Diablo 4 is a first person MMORPG that will be a change. If Zelda BotW is truly an open world game without gadgets driving progression, I think that would be a real change.

I’m not saying you’re wrong. I am just trying to follow if the game like evolves but the base of it, what you generally do, doesn’t change… how some might see that as a same game whereas I don’t see it that way, but if the better graphics, 360 degree views, more characters, more tracks and online play doesn’t change the the fact that you if you drop a banana on a track and the person behind you hits it they skid out.

This line is always fuzzy though, which the devs keep saying. You change a franchise too much, it becomes unrecognizable and the fanbase might reject it. You don’t change enough and it’s stale or the same.

Yep. I see where you’re coming from now. Thank you.

Thank you too!

Let’s hope the Switch is the best thing ever. I want a new Metroid game.

Yeah. And it’s such a personal thing. What might be fresh to one person can seem stale to another, yet these games need to appeal to a huge audience to be commercially viable. Basically game development is an impossible task. :)

Yeah, I bet you are right. I probably am being overly reductive just thinking the GameStop thinks WiiU sales will be strong based on the Switch announcements.

No, I’m arguing my position as something that I believe is true, because it gets tedious to couch everything with “IMHO YMMV” and so on. So you have your opinion and I have mine, but not all opinions are equal. You’re saying, “Nintendo hasn’t come up with anything innovative in the last 15 years and their franchises have gotten stale.” And my response is, review scores do not bear that out. And we’re talking about reviewers who are keyed in to rehashes and stale formulas.

It’s like you’re looking at a movie studio and saying, “Ugh, ANOTHER movie with great acting, clever dialogue, and strong emotional underpinnings to a solid plot?? Why can’t they do something new?!” Or if you’re tired of superhero movies, I think it’s perfectly valid to say, “I’m really burned out on superhero movies”, where you wouldn’t say, “Marvel is really just rehashing old storylines. They should try making romantic comedies where characters don’t have any superpowers!” Marvel is going to keep making Marvel movies, and Nintendo is going to keep making Nintendo games.

It’s a lot of work to continually come up with fun, well-paced, addictive gameplay, and Nintendo has been doing a fantastic job of it for a long time. It’s overly reductive to say, “Yeah but they didn’t INNOVATE and they’re using the same characters, so I give them no credit.”

Honestly, I’d like to see a list of games that you really think are innovative, because I bet the list is really short.

Initial US online pre-order stock seems to be gone:

Looks like it’s going to be EUR 329.99 in euro territories.

An update about the controller charging situation.

Joy con grip that comes in the box has 0 charging capability on it’s own. Nintendo confirmed this. it is just a plastic shell to hold the controllers.

To Charge the joycons you need to dock them on the console itself, which sits in the dock. During the Thursday and Friday events there was a lot of misinformation shifting about.

I think that this is dumb, but not crazy. The controllers supposedly have a 20 hour charge lifetime, and if you just dock them on the system each time you are done playing, it won’t matter.

But, I know I will forget and leave the controllers on the joy con grip, and then they will be dead, and I will have to play docked. What a weird clusterfuck, but I guess you wouldn’t expect much less from the company that doesn’t include a charging cable with your new 3DS.

Hey! I got this right!

I am sure 3rd party will fill that void.

That’s not too bad.

I’m excited about this. Going to hold off probably until summer at least, but this is the first console that I think really fits my needs in a while.

It might be a success for Nintendo. It’s definitely both different but also game focused.

Nintendo’s non-bundled grips do charge (for $30). It’s only the bundled one that doesn’t charge.

I’d rather have a controller with 20 hour battery life that needs to be docked than a controller that lasts a few hours. Complete non issue in my eyes.*

*I will be quite annoyed when my controllers die and I can’t play though.