Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

It’s more expensive than I would like and that expense is deployed as tech I am uninterested in.

The real killer though is that Nintendo hasn’t announced that ALL games going forward will be available on Switch. After buying a WiiU only to have 2 of the 3 MH games last gen be only on 3DS I’m not wanting to repeat that mistake, since it was a pretty big bummer for me.

I was really hoping based on some of the early intel that Switch was a consolidation of Nintendo hardware into a single unit. Or at least that Switch would be able to handle both software lines. That may still be the case, but it’s looking like Nintendo doesn’t want to commit to that course of action.

Plus I am poor and was hoping it would be a less expensive device.

I was super optimistic going in, but Nintendo has lately become a company that is less interested in making its consumers happy, and more interested in the Capcom method of riding your past IP’s to keep your shareholders happy. And with all of the evidence in the past and present, I seriously doubt many of those issues will be resolved this time next year.

Bottom line, this looks fun, but they spent way too much time focused on next gen waggle stuff, and they did little to allay my fears that this will not be taking over the 3ds’ portable role. They did nothing to make me think that they are going to keep your Virtual Console purchases tied to your account, rather than your system. They introduced a vastly inferior version of xbox live gold and playstation plus, and I really don’t think they are going to fix these things.

Sure, they could prove me wrong, but I am near the point of not caring. There are really no launch titles, 1,2 Switch would be an amazing pack in game… that is 50 bucks.

Sure, this could all get fixed in the future, but Nintendo has done 0 things to earn my trust.

I stopped short of buying the Wii U because the Rune Factory and Harvest Moon games all went to 3DS too. I remember being disappointed that the Wii never really received a good Pokemon game either.

That 3ds grip is a requirement.

It looks really cool!

But help me understand something…

If the 3DS is really unfortunate to hold for long periods of time, it is, and requires a 3rd party part to make comfortable, why do we think holding the likewise squarish joy cons will be different?

Because they come with a grip in the box?

Which works when they’re together right? We’re we talking about using these in MP separately. Aka when we pull them apart their like little squares again. I’m bringing this back to the MP piece of the discussion and how the controls work with that.

Okay, so you’d have to chop your 3DS into bits to see how they feel before making that comparison then. ;)

Again, I’ve seen many hands-on reports praising the controllers as one of the best features, and none saying how uncomfortable they are. I’m not sure why you so desperately want to think they’re bad… :)

edit:

I think it will be because of the difference in weight and balance. Joy-cons look really light whereas 3DS isn’t.

[quote=“merryprankster, post:1085, topic:126573”]
The real killer though is that Nintendo hasn’t announced that ALL games going forward will be available on Switch. After buying a WiiU only to have 2 of the 3 MH games last gen be only on 3DS I’m not wanting to repeat that mistake, since it was a pretty big bummer for me.

I was really hoping based on some of the early intel that Switch was a consolidation of Nintendo hardware into a single unit. Or at least that Switch would be able to handle both software lines.[/quote]

Speaking as a blindly keen early-adopter, this is my biggest concern as well. I was hoping for one machine, and future Monster Hunters, Pokemons, etc. on the big screen.

Plans for a 3DS successor may just be Nintendo keeping options open in case Switch tanks. Or maybe it will be based on Switch, and be purely handheld without the dock. I guess time will tell.

I don’t desperately want them to be bad. Questioning the comfort level of something doesn’t mean I want them to be bad. They don’t look ergo to me. I don’t know why it’s inherently bad to question how the experience will be using these controllers broken into two for full experience games like MH. Is there a list of questions out there that’s okay to ask and still be able to call yourself a fan of Nintendo?

If there was good news on either of these fronts (say, Nintendo Connect or whatever they want to call it being $20/year) my gut says they would’ve mentioned them during the presentation.

It was a gentle dig because you are repeatedly questioning the comfort, in the face of all evidence we have pointing to the contrary.

I think questioning the ergonomics of Nintendo controllers should actually be the default position given their history. I’m not even familiar with their handhelds, but just going by the Nintendo consoles I’ve been exposed to: I found the N64 analog stick uncomfortable on the thumb and very awkward to hold for certain games (like Star Wars Episode 1: Racer). I found the gamecube controller’s triggers to be uncomfortable and pinchy on my fingers after a while, and the C-stick was very uncomfortable to use. And while the Wiimote and Nunchuck were fine, I found their “Classic” controller accessory to be uncomfortable compared to the 360 controller. Though I apologize, I’ve forgotten exactly what I found uncomfortable about the classic controller that plugged into the Wiimote.

I like their controllers a lot. They do innovate. But comfort doesn’t seem to be a priority.

On the Waypoint podcast this week Patrick Klepek made the case for what could be a promising Nintendo online service.

Imagine if that “free month-long virtual console rental” was paired with some cool historical information about what made that game great. New interviews, retrospectives, etc. Basically a guided tour of gaming history - “here’s why this game was amazing, you can play it for now, and if you want to keep playing it pay to keep it”.

That paired with a yearly price of well under $60, it could be an awesome service.

But I highly doubt anything of the sort will end up happening.

Given the volume of Switch games you’ll actually want to play online, and that the virtual console SNES games are only available for that month, anything over $20/year seems like robbery. But c’mon, we all know it’ll cost $60 or more.

The historical stuff you’re talking about would be a nice value add for sure, much like director’s commentaries and special features on DVDs. Remember those? Yeah, everybody watches movies on Amazon or Google Play or iTunes these days. We all liked those DVD features, didn’t we? So why don’t you hear everybody complaining now that they’re gone? Value add.

I’m hoping that whatever replaces the 3DS (4DS?) will be based on the Switch hardware, so either it plays 480p versions of Switch games (which are cheaper than their big-brother counterparts), or there are combined carts that work in the 4DS at a lower resolution, and in the Switch at a higher resolution. Kids could buy the cheaper 4DS and build a game library, and adults could buy the Switch, and if you ever want to buy the other console, you have a library ready to play.

But again, purely wishful thinking at this point.

For movies I want to watch once or twice, I’ll rent them on Amazon or iTunes or whatever. For movies that I love and want to dig into, of course the extra content is a value-add. I hope they make the free monthly game a similarly interesting experience.

Well I understand it wasn’t that sharp jab it’s just Nintendo’s stance on controllers isn’t consistent. Like @Rock8man mostly says, they have some you can use for hours and hours and never have an issue, wii mote and nunchuck, and others that make you wonder if anyone ever held it for more than an hour. The Joy Cons look very small to me, and I have lady hands. I can’t imagine large man hands on those for long. Maybe it will be fine, but everyone else decided that shape, square, thin and slight rounded, isn’t great to use.

The difficult thing with the 3DS controls is that it’s a very top-heavy device, so you have to support the device in weird configurations for long-term use. The Switch, with a center of gravity in the middle of the device, should be much more stable.

Fair enough, I suppose it’s not a big deal to me since I don’t foresee playing any split multiplayer anyway. Their recent record is okay if you discount 3DS; you like Wii ergonomics, and the Wii-U controller is pretty comfortable too.