Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

Is that true though? Did they not turn a profit on the WiiU?

I think that they are hoping waggle 2.0 gets on Ellen and Oprah since that seems to be the thrust of the Switch. Maybe lightening will strike twice for Nintendo.

Not possible. There are only two sides to the Nintendo coin on QT3 Schmidt!

Lol, my position has always been hopeful optimism, with a ‘wait and see’ attitude! A fence-sitter, if you will. :)

That seems extremely doubtful. Nintendo has made a loss in three of the last five years, and only making pitifully small profits on the other two. And Wii U has clearly been the weak link in the lineup during that time.

The problem isn’t even that the Wii U hardware generated a loss directly. It’s that such a small install base makes it hard for them to sell enough software. (Unless they manage to sell one to basically every Wii U owner, like apparently happened with Mario Kart).

Fair enough. I don’t watch financials for this stuff,

A proper new Fire Emblem game on Switch was just announced for next year! There’s no title or other info yet. This is in addition to the ‘Warriors’ cross-over game due this year.

Also announced, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia for 3DS is out May 19, which is a modern remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden from the NES.

And Fire Emblem Heroes for mobile devices, is out Feb. 2 on Android and ‘soon’ on iOS.

I’m praying I can get my son to buy BOTW on the WiiU. I do NOT want to buy this console…it’s interesting, just not exciting. My kid will rule of course but I hope I can hold out as long as possible.

Of course it is. I’m just putting a prediction out there. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong. And, sure, if they do slash the price quickly, they will likely turn it around, like they did with the 3DS. It just seems, based on what they said in the lead-up to the launch (not to mention all the cash they’ve been burning in recent years), like they have less wiggle room on that front than they did with that device.

Welp, they just got me back in on a Switch. I ended up buying a Wii pretty much just for Fire Emblem and Xenoblade Chronicles, and now those two are both on the Switch, soooo…

Yikes.

[quote]
The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby. We also think it’s a very elegant solution because if you’ve taken your switch on the go, you’ve put yourself in a hotspot, you’re looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.

So we think we’ve got an elegant solution. That’s a very specific answer to your question.[/quote]

Why do I need Xbox live? I just call my friends on the phone.

Wait I have to use a phone app to do stuff that should be on the console?

Even the nintendo fans have got to admit, that is pretty hilarious.

Imagine gaming on a park bench or whatever, Switch in your lap, headphones in your ears, and simultaneously trying to balance your cellphone for that second screen experience.

There has to be some mis-used terminology in that statement. Why the fuck do I want to use a phone app for matchmaking? Why add these layers of complexity? Whatever the reason, it’s certainly not for the benefit of the consumer.

This will probably make 100x more sense in context, because all I can do right now is try to speculate how this won’t be a shit solution to a non-existant problem Nintendo bigwigs are dreaming up in their own heads.

As the article mentions, the app isn’t due until Summer, but MK8D is coming this April. Surely there’s something not yet divulged and they aren’t making us wait until the app releases to play Mario Kart online with friends… right?

Exactly. I think the biggest culprit here is a shortage of contextual facts and information. This slow dribble of random factoids serves only to confuse and obscufate what must be a more positive reality. I hope.

Ut oh.

Surely he means that you can also do those things from the app, in addition to the obvious functionality that is of course built into the console?

I doubt it. It’s Nintendo. This will either be dumb because they’re Nintendo and they (still) don’t get online, or it will be surprisingly cool because they did something totally unexpected with online.

What it absolutely won’t be is the “normal” online experience we’re used to with PS+ and Xbox Live.

Why can’t this app just run off the console, which requires wifi for online/multiplayer anyway?