Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

And it was a on a device that very clearly did not have / has no need for touchscreen. :)

Skyrim was featured several times during the clip. Particularly during the sequence where the dude takes it on his plane trip. He plays Skyrim on the plane then puts it on the bigscreen when he gets where he is going.

Hard to believe it being that clearly showcased without almost certainly being in the works.

This is some Twilight Zone shit right here.

I love Skyrim as much as the next non-weirdo who only has played 400 hours of the game or whatever.

But the game came out in 2011.

2011, y’all.

I’ll admit I was spent a lot less time looking at the game in that video than the function. Nothing on the screen screamed new have to have title once I saw the older games. I agree it’s odd. It just didn’t stand out to me. As my sister says though, nice video… she buys consoles for games. I suppose I do too, but I find the idea of the console interesting.

Skyrim - just the usual PR/marketing yadda yadda. Deciding on which games get shown during such trailer is a really political thing, and I really doubt they’d show a game that’s not gonna be on the platform - especially if it can be clearly and easily dentified.

I’m pretty sure Bethesda wants some more spotlight by being able to announce it at a separate occasion, but Nintendo really wanted it to be part of the hardware introduction since the Elder Scrolls series is so huge at this point, but never got released on a Nintendo system. Also, Bethesda had been openly critical of Nintendo in the past years - so featuring a Bethesda game is statement they wanted to make about what kind of support the Switch will be getting.

There’s a remastered version on the way. So yeah, but no.[quote=“Adam_B, post:103, topic:126573, full:true”]
This is some Twilight Zone shit right here.

I love Skyrim as much as the next non-weirdo who only has played 400 hours of the game or whatever.

But the game came out in 2011.

2011, y’all.

[/quote]

Showed the video to my 14-year-old. His first question was whether it would have Call of Duty and Battlefield. Sigh. His overall reaction was meh, but if it had the top shooters and is portable he would change his tune.

Sigh. I had so hoped he would be into things like flight sims. At least he’s not a Republican.

Yet…

Well, EA and Activision are both listed as being on-board, and what else are they going to do if not retreads of their same old stuff? ;)

I’m a republican AND I don’t like flight sims. Deal with it.
I am, however, psyched for this thing. Well psyched is an overstatement, but it’s a day one thing for me and I’m working out the logistics of getting it somehow shipped here.
That new Zelda seems made for this thing. I can see myself wandering around that landscape on the tablet while my wife watches the food network next to me.

Edit: from the nvidia page: “We’ve optimized the full suite of hardware and software for gaming and mobile use cases.” makes me think this thing will have a touch screen and is basically an nvidia shield for Nintendo games. Bye bye iPad when traveling.

Of all the things Nintendo hardware can be, fragile isn’t usually one of them.

Personally, I’m glad Nintendo decided to make a Vita 2. For the first time they’ll be selling a portable that isn’t technologically antiquated on release, and compromised by terrible control decisions.

Was this news not well received?

Nintendo’s stock price is weird (see the Pokemon Go gyrations). Given that basically everything they showed apart from games was leaked beforehand, it’s hard to see why the price should have moved materially at all.

The stock actually went up about 5% just after they announced that the reveal was coming. So really it’s pretty much just gone back down close to where it was earlier…

My thoughts exactly! The basketball bit had me laughing through facepalm. The reality is you’d get ridiculed at the pub for bringing it along shortly before someone knocks a pint over it.

Seriously though, I think the Switch looks really cool and I’m glad Nintendo are (still) steering well clear of the performance arms race between Sony and MS.

I discovered after the Vita and my Android devices that I don’t do that much gaming on the go, so, as much as I’d like to have owned a 3DS, I’m not convinced it would have been money well spent. The Vita certainly wasn’t. At the same time though, I missed a lot of purportedly great games.

On the flipside, I love my Wii U despite having only played a fraction of the exclusives it offers. The Switch then, as a system that unifies Nintendo’s portable and home markets sounds like a perfect solution to me. I only need to pick up the Switch and that’s Nintendo covered, at home and when I’m out and about. Sweet.

I’m more amazed by how much buzz portable Skyrim has generated. I can think of so many other ways to bore myself senseless on the go! ;-)

Show me a proper Metroid game by Retro and I’ll be putty in Nintendo’s hands.

You’re playing with fire. (Good call.)

The 3DS works perfectly well when played on the couch at home. :) That’s where I got the majority of use from mine.

I’d prefer to play those 3DS games on the big screen though, so Switch is pretty much what I was hoping for.

Yeah exactly.

I mean, sure, I did plenty of Vita/Android/DS gaming on the sofa too (most of it, even!) but if I’m at home I tend to default to my big screen games.

That said, the Wii U was pretty cool in that if we were playing Mario Kart 8 I could sit back and just kind of cozy up with the controller while everyone else sat closer to the TV. I like that flexibility! I do wonder whether the Switch will utilise the portable screen and the TV at the same time like the Wii U does.

I doubt it, as it looks like it needs to be docked to output to TV.

We’re still pretending that iPads have good games?

As the father of a 4 year old, who has friends aged 3-8, I can assure you Nintendo is not dead. They all know and love Mario. They all have Nintendo systems. The problem is cheap parents who are buying kids Wiis and DSs still because that’s where the huge cheap GameStop libraries are.

I see lots of the kid focused YouTube channels are pushing Nintendo stuff right now (hi HobbykidsTV). That’s a great start and I’m glad to see Nintendo getting with the times by allowing these videos, or paying these steamers to make content. Every parent I know with young kids knows about these channels because their kids watch them obsessively. Shit I had a trip to the UK last month and the dads there all knew HobbykidsTv.

My kid has a 3ds but it’s too hard for him. Mario 64 on old DS is his favorite game, but he’s enjoying Yoshis Wooly World on the Wii U as well. None of his friends have Wii U because their parents aren’t nerds like me and didn’t know what it was. They thought it was another Wii which they already had.

I’ll conclude my rambling post by saying the Switch is launching right around when PAX East hits next year. I hope they have some demos set up, I’m bringing the whole family.

Sometimes Nintendo reveals how Japanese it is, and this is one of those times. A lot of the kind of risible social-gaming outside the home they showed is the kind of thing that Japanese people might actually do, like how people meet up in person to play Monster Hunter. There’s no room in your apartment, and there’s less of a binge drinking culture.

I feel there a 90% chance that the first hardware revision slims the docking station to way smaller. Therrs no reason to have it be the same size as the entire tablet. Apparently somebody at Nintendo likes weird oversized docking stations (e.g. the first revision 3ds)