Nintendo finally reveals the Switch console

I used nowinstock and stockinformer for alerts, and had 2 or 3 chances to purchase before I actually did…

Streaming games at 60fps from PC to Switch, and will be available on eShop? Legit?

How long before people are streaming CEMU to play emulated Wii-U version of BOTW at 60fps on the Switch? ;)

Can’t imagine this gets approved by Nintendo, but it would be really cool if it did.

They’ve not confirmed any apps yet, have they? They made some noises about talking to Netflix et al at some point, but they definitely didn’t commit to bringing anything but games to the eShop. A game-streaming app seems extremely unlikely in that context

Sorry, guys. No Stardock games planned for Switch.

He is right though.

If that were true the Wii U would’ve sold gangbusters.

Well I (and maybe Brad) am not saying “Nintendo hardware is a hit if only Nintendo support it” more “Nintendo doesn’t put any effort into helping 3rd parties make money off their platform and they can probably succeed with this strategy because their core IP is so strong.”

I mean sure we would all like to make games for a Nintendo console but they really do not support anyone but their own games or historically close Japanese developers so its pretty pointless. This is not really a secret, I think its pretty much universally known amongst console developers. Out of the big three Nintendo is just the least helpful in terms of growing your business (IE: chipping in for dev or UA money).

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/nintendo-reveals-new-partnerships-and-first-indie-games

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/steamworld-dev-calls-switch-publishing-streamlined-and-more-modern

I mean, it sounds like it has never been easier for third party developers to work with Nintendo. Sure, out of the big 3, Nintendo is definitely not the easiest to get through the publishing process, but it sounds like they have made a lot of steps to work with developers.

I think the “Nintendo doesn’t work with third parties” is becoming less and less true as time moves on.

I am sure it is. but getting on a platform is different than being supported on a platform. Console hardware makers traditionally seed developers with cash or marketing dollars or cut special deals like (“we will only take 20% for the first 5 years if you bring X titles to our platform”). Nintendo (again traditionally) has been the most tight fisted when it comes to putting their hand in their pocket to support developers. The old gimme of “hey we will give you a Nintendo Power cover” is not available any more. So yeah, I bet its easier than ever to get onto the Switch, but why would you when you could go to bigger platforms or ones that will give you free UA or support dev costs?

I should note I am buying a Switch and love Nintendo’s games and platforms. But from a business perspective I totally get where Brad is coming from.

From reports in Gamasutra it really does seem like Nintendo is pursuing indies that will give them exclusivity rights over games. None of these deals are public, so we don’t know how Nintendo is trying to sweeten the pot money wise, but from a few big indie studios it does seem like they are doing something to get people onboard.

I would be really happy if the Switch could become the console of choice for portable indie games. The 3DS has some good titles, but I think the possibilities on the Switch are awesome. The ease of couch co-op with the controllers is real, and I think that could be a really cool thing.

Also, that linked story is really weird. Brad’s comments, to me, come off a little bit catty. Like a middle school girl’s locker room.

“Cindy, you might not be prom queen, but you have your own style and that is good for you!”

I hope so. it would be AWESOME if the Switch became the indie console of choice. Given Nintendo’s previous behaviour though I am skeptical is all. Fingers crossed they have changed strategy, as a gamer and a developer that would be fantastic.

Yeah, I was sure that there was a lot of positive buzz out there about their “nindies” program. But, I did some research, and it seems like it isn’t all rose petals and love.

On one hand, they are heavily reaching out to indies, and their developer support is a lot better, but Nintendo is still Nintendo, so it can’t be simple.

Thanks for linking that. Yeah, Nintendo. Sigh :|

“This time around, we’re going to be a lot more conservative,” Baker said. “We don’t want to open up the floodgates quite yet.”

So before the floodgates were opened but no developers cared. Now the floodgates are closed cause developers might care.

I am absolutely loving my switch as an indie platform. I play Binding of Isaac, Shovel Knight, and other ‘smaller’ games all of the time. More often than Zelda, even. Recently I picked up Glorious Explosion Machine and Wonderboy and both are really good as well.

Wow, what a bummer. I was so psyched to play all of those classic Stardock console hits on my Switch.

Also not appearing on the Switch: Oracle 12c, TurboTax and the software your car uses to connect to your iPhone over Bluetooth.

I’m desperate to read more articles about other things people won’t do.

If I look at my own interest in the Switch as being indicative of some sort of tapping into the gestalt of the time I think people are tired of the same bland AAA red-brown safe shooters whose gameplay is stale and unevolved, and are willing to cross their fingers and believe a Nintendo console will have more “indie”, artis

The thing that cracks me up in these threads is Nintendo has been getting a lot of indie support since the Wii and especially in the Wii U era. 3DS sees a lot of stuff too. You’d know this if you play games on Nintendo hardware. It’s really not a huge secret they have been filling lots of gaps with indies and promoting them heavily for awhile now.