Nintendo Labo - DIY cardboard crafting stuff with Switch

I would assume that each kit is entirely self contained, so software + cardboard. Assuming a $60 game, you’re paying a 10-20 dollar premium for the cardboard, which seems fine to me. Expensive, but not absurdly so as those things go.

The question is whether each self contained software package is actually worth the cost of a full game. As somebody who bought Electroplankton full price, I’m well aware of Nintendo’s ability to overcharge for incomplete experiences.

I’m curious about it… but can’t say “I’m in” and that’s it.

I mean the PR video looks like VERY basic games. It really looks like a “cute” like thing for those with younger kids (under 8) to get them hands on in building physical kits - and then using the tech to “bring it to life”

I’m totally baffled by the piano… I mean how would the switch know which key you’re pressing?

wait a second… my son just noticed - that Robot Kit needs… not a few extra JoyCon controllers… but at least 6… perhaps more (one for each hand, one for each foot, one in the back, and one on the side of your head)
I’m guessing it is actually 7, one on each side of your head.

I have 4. I don’t see myself wanting to buy even 2 more JoyCon’s just to then also drop $80 for the robot kit…

The Robot Kit seems to use a system similar to the piano to measure what you’re doing and where. One joy con goes into the back, and in the back are a bunch of little things that move up and down depending on which limbs you’re moving. The IR in the joy con can measure a bunch of different things instead of needing a joy con for each.

Rough gif:

Yeah, there’s string connecting the feet to the backpack.

is this this an educated guess or did you read something somewhere else?

I can see at least 4 here. and that’s assuming there isn’t one on the other side.

The blue and orange you see at the feet and hands is just coloured string, not joycons.

As @Profanicus notes, you only need the standard two Joy-Cons for either package.

well nice!!! my mistake!!

Are kids in Japan really THAT much smarter than the rest of the planet? Because from what I am seeing Niels Bohr couldnt figure this shit out.

Luckily the Switch will guide you through it interactively!

This looks cool, if terribly overpriced, but… I have two kids. There is no way two kids can share this.

This seems like amiibo 2.0. insanely overpriced, cheap to make, hugely hyped and targeted squarely at kids.

I like my switch but I really hate Nintendo’s business practices.

I’m just skeptical that such things can really stand up to a kid playing with them for anything beyond a trivial amount of time. It seems like they’re gonna break down super fast, leading to sadness.

Isn’t Amiibo targeted squarely at collectors?

I’m sure Nintendo will be happy to sell cardboard refill packs.

good video taking apart that marketing video

So it looks like many of the games put some emphasis on the IR camera!

It also goes in to some of the unreleased sets, that show up briefly in the marketing material.

White bird
Steering wheel/gas pedal
Cardboard man attached to a joycon - and controlling it from screen
Camera
Gun
Box with wheels on each side.
Extendable arm device
(Drum?) pedal
Flight stick

I would guess some of the above might be part of a singular kit with a few different items inside. Similar to the Variety Kit.

Is “targeted squarely at kids” supposed to be a negative against it? Because Nintendo outright said before Labo was announced that this upcoming announcement would be “A new way to play” and that it would be “specially crafted for kids”, so it sounds like that’s completely intentional.

Sometimes it’s OK that things aren’t designed with you as a target market :-)

It also doesn’t seem overpriced at all considering that all of the packages seems to come with extensive software. Are PS4 and Xbox One games overpriced because they’re just “pieces of plastic in a box”?

Why doesn’t Nintendo team up with LEGO to do stuff like this? The language/distance barrier?

Of course, if it was LEGO it would be way more expensive. But you get to keep the bricks!

Lego Dimensions just bombed out. Give them a while to recover.

Lago?