Nintendo Labo - DIY cardboard crafting stuff with Switch

Neat, I wonder why they’re not showing Joe Public though? I’d love to see a vid of this home-made guitar thing they’re demoing:

Hands-on video at Engadget:

Nintendo released some new videos (Japanese) showing a fair bit of the software. Neat use of the IR scanner, and what looks like scanning bits of cutout cardboard to add stuff into the games. Is that cutting out waveforms and making punchcards for programming the music machine?

(edit: updated with UK versions)

Some initial reviews are in and they are surprisingly strong.

Diego

Did they talk about the “Toy-con Garage” before now? According to one of those reviews, it’s a place where you can use a visual scripting language to make new behaviors for the toy-cons. Can’t quite tell how sweeping the functionality is, but that’s huge to me. If I can basically only play one game with the fishing controller or whatever, then that’s fine (especially if the game is fun) but I’m probably not going to buy in for me and my kids. But if we can make our own games–or at least toys–that’s something else. And, of course, I hope Nintendo continues to support the line with new games for the same controllers and new cardboard packs too.

That looks like some high grade artisanal cardboard.

Yeah they released a series of videos on it a while back.

This stuff is fascinating. I wish I had a better word for it, but all I’ve done so far is build and play the piano. It took a couple hours to build, a little tedium involved in some stickers and some repetition, but mostly a satisfying experience. In several places the design of the assembly impressed me, one or two spots seem like they could’ve used a little more attention, but the overall result of the build is great. I did have one piece where the cardboard split along the score when I was folding it as instructed, but it was a minor piece easily enough fixed with some tape.

Did anyone else take the plunge?

If I had kids (and a Switch) I’m sure I would get this. I watched a little of the Giant Bomb video and it does look pretty interesting.

Got both sets an the customization thing. 5.99 year old kid who helped with a bunch of the builds but since they can take >60-120 minutes, he didn’t stick with it the whole time.
Built the variety kit. Shockingly slick and works better than I was expecting.

I’m floored with the package overall. Great quality stuff, really ingenious and clever. The creative side, assembl y side, play side, and then explanations on how it all works and other things it can do are wonderful.

It’s nintendo at their finest.

Robot kit is next. I expect it’ll be many hours to build.

I saw this post today at RGB. Pretty amazing callbacks to Nintendo’s past here…

Built the car and piano. Really high production quality. Just the quality of the instructional ‘videos’ is astounding, every single step is fully 3d modeled so you can rotate and zoom and inch forward for backward through the animation. It’s overkill for how complicated it is, but super cool.

They go above and beyond with adding fun variants and stuff, for example, there’s enough cardboard for two cars and two players. Then they encourage you to make the two cars into your own version of battle-bots where you each take scrap of cardboard and modify your car to best knock over the other player.

Lots of crazy features like the piano can scan the shape of an object to use as a waveform for a sound, or you put a joycon on a box and it will vibrate the box with the haptics to make the notes instead of the speaker.

Toy-Con Kit 03 ships in September. This one looks like it was made specifically for me!

This put a big smile on my face. :)

This just keeps looking better and better. Toy-Con 3 looks like a total winner for Labo.

Has there been any indication of how well this has sold?