Nintendo Revolution Specs: Rainbows and Lollipops

Dammit, Jason. I was looking forward to reading the rest of this thread, but now you’ve made me feel guilty for sneaking in a QT3 break from work.[/quote]

Roger Wong
Magister mundi sum!

Location: The “Metrocube”, DS, Revolution, and PS3 Dept., Austin, TX.

–Dave :wink:

That was sort of what the Dreamcast did, memory wise, and it allowed the machine to makes some really good looking stuff.

The Revolution could get a lot of mileage if they pack it with memory.

Well, since it’s only supporting conventional TV’s, it’s not likely to really need the mongo power that the PS3 and Xbox 360 will have.

If it’s really a lot cheaper to develop for, they’ll probably get some interest from 3rd parties.

I wish they had something corresponding to MS’s Live Arcade for indie developers, though. The Rev controller would do a nice job on casual games. If Nintendo is really interested in attracting non-gamers, it seems a shame to miss out on the next Zuma or whatever.

The thing that amuses me is when I look at the specs for the PS3 and 360, they’re not really that impressive. Especially the 256MB of RAM in the PS3. If you tried that with a PC, it would be grinding your harddrive to dust all through the game. With no disc-cache to swap to, it’s going to put pressure on developers to be very memory conscious. And for what? It’s not like RAM is expensive these days.

The PS3 has 512 MB total RAM. 256 system XDR memory + 256 video gddr3. The GPU and CPU can both address all 512 MBs, it’s just not a unified bus like the Xbox 360.

I think Nintendo’s lesson in the current generation was that specs aren’t enough to compete. The GC is (roughly) better than the PS2 and worse than the XBox, but it didn’t see the level of third party support needed to directly compete with either. Yes, it does get some ports, but people buy GCs for the first party games.

Given that, why spend the money to try to fight in the same arena as Sony and Microsoft? Better to define a different arena and keep the price down so that people see a Revolution as a good addition to their PS3 or XB360, rather than a replacement.

Given that D3D on a PC basically keeps a system memory copy of most resources, a more reasonable comparison is to a 512MB system RAM PC with 256MB VRAM.

Yeah, that’s “possible” but the liklihood is almost rediculous. They have the same chip designers (IBM and ATI) as Microsoft, the same fab partners. And with things like notebook computers and such, we pretty much know how big something has to be to dissipate how many watts of heat.

The 360 is surprisingly large (though it’s sleek and has a nice optical illusion of looking smaller than it is), it’s heavy, and it gets HOT even with the power supply outside of the main system. That’s what happens when you have a 165 million transistor CPU at 3.2GHz and a 300M transistor GPU, plus half a gig of fairly fast GDDR3. There’s just no getting around that.

Revolution might be able to use a 65nm process, depending on when it’ll come out, but that will only help so much.