Nintendo Switch

You are understanding correctly. It ends up being mostly a wash in normal use. Gaming is not dark mode web surfing.

OLED Advantages and Disadvantages | HowStuffWorks.

Well, if portability wasn’t something you cared about, a used WiiU (I bought mine for £90 on ebay) would give you a large percentage of the same games for super cheap prices. I have something like 20-odd Wii U games, average of £5-10 a game, only Zelda BotW and TP being £25 and 20. Not to mention the Wii compatibility… dirt cheap games there.

Three years later, and the Wii and WiiU backlog is finally waning, and sure, there will now be Nintendo games I’ll want and can’t have, but it’s surprising how little has come out since 2017 (that I’ve noticed and wanted to play).

Yeah, I picked up Fire Emblem, BotW, Smash, and Mario Kart for $40 or less. Kart was $0 as it came with the system. I also picked up Mario & Rabbids for $20 for the full gold package on the e-shop.

@Rock8man DekuDeals has been posted several times, and is the correct answer here. No they don’t drop and stay low, but there are not infrequent deals on even first party titles.

Marketing gobble speak talking about the technology. They are more efficient on a per pixel comparison. They are expotentially brighter which uses more power.

While OLED televisions provide a superior picture quality, they do consume more energy than their LED predecessors. On average, a 55" OLED television consumes roughly 98 watts per hour per day, while an LED TV of similar size consumes 57 watts per hour per day.Dec 23, 2020

So on a phone yes prolly longer battery life. For a gaming system I highly doubt unless it is an upgraded battery.

This is true in theory and often minimal in practice.

Are you factoring the time you spend to earn those points? What is your hourly rate at your job, times the hours spent earning points? :)

Don’t tell my boss, but I spend 5 minutes at work every morning on it before I start my actual job. :)

Ah, so your work subsidises your filthy gaming habit. Nice! :)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Mario-Odyssey/967828360

Mario Odyssey for sub-$40 at WM today

How would that work for someone who doesn’t own a Switch yet? Can I buy it and hang onto a code that will hopefully never expire? Or can I create a Nintendo account without one and apply the code without a Switch?

This. You don’t need a console to activate a code - in fact it’s kind of a PITA on the console, vs. logging into your account and pasting it in. Then, when you get a console, sign in with your Nintendo account and you’ll have access to your digital games.

Nintendo Support: Do Download Codes Expire?.

Short answer: no expiration :-)

Hmmm, after rummaging around on their website for half an hour, I don’t think you can, look at this support page:

https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16906/kw/how%20to%20redeem%20code%20on%20the%20website

If redeeming a download code for Nintendo Switch content, you must first access the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch using your Nintendo Account at least once.

So there it is.

Also, look at me, thinking $40 is a good enough deal to buy a game potentially years in advance in case it never sees that price again. How ridiculous is this?

Oh, I’m glad you caught this before you pulled the trigger (though thanks to Armando it sounds like the code is something you could just hang onto) - sorry about that, what a dumb thing. I should have known; Nintendo is super strange about digital distribution still. They’ve come a long ways, but they are no Steam or anything.

It’s a good deal even so - though if you are years from buying a Switch, it will likely be $40 again at some point, or maybe cheaper. But it’s an ever green title that is unlikely to ever really be “on the cheap” as well. It’s an absolutely excellent Mario game, however.

Ok, I got my code for $42.22 with tax. Similar to how I own a PSVR game (Psychonauts) for one day when I’ll get that. Except that was way cheaper.

These are not the Mario games I wanted for 35% off.

On the bright side, the 50th anniversary sales on these games in 15 years should be fantastic!

That’s a pretty lame offering.

Luigis Mansion is supposedly pretty good.

And Mario Odyssey is 35% off at Walmart today