Nintendo Switch

Excellent write-ups and deep praise for some of your favorites. Thank you @ArmandoPenblade. This sounds like a future backlog might be developing. ;)

Mario + Rabbids has been mentioned several times today. Itā€™s definitely on the shott list.

Iā€™m looking at Borderlands for the switch. I loved them on PC, but how does a FPS handle with joycons? I have the lite, if it makes any difference. Can anyone advise?

Iā€™ve played Doom 3 on the switch and itā€™s ok. Iā€™m not a FPS on console guy, but it didnā€™t seem any worse than on an Xbox. Assuming youā€™re hand fits the Lite well enough. But I used a Pro controller which probably as better control for an FPS than the lite.

Target this afternoon
Switchā€¦check
256gb Micro SDā€¦check
Pro controllerā€¦check
Nintendo account createdā€¦check
Iā€™m all set, just have to decide on what to play 1st šŸ˜Š

That reminds me: If you want to try a Nintendo-only FPS, Splatoon 2 is a great choice. I canā€™t recall offhand if it has a demo, but itā€™s really fun.

Do you play against bots like in Unreal Tournament, or do they structure it like some kind of campaign?

Thereā€™s a full single player campaign with bespoke levels, boss fights, etc.

Iā€™m playing the campaign right now actually, following the Splatoon 3 news, and, while itā€™s alright so far (the bosses in particular are a highlight), Iā€™ll be very surprised if it comes close to how good the gameā€™s multiplayer is. I explain why itā€™s one of my favourite online shooters here:

I also mention how Splatoon has some of the best controls for a console shooter (certainly the best Iā€™ve played) by utilising the gyro for aiming instead of just potato thumbsticks. Blows my mind that it still hasnā€™t been widely adopted on consoles, for accuracy and fluidity, but accessibility too.

Itā€™s also worth mentioning that Splatoon, being a Nintendo game, has incredibly limited communication between players (four preset signals). No in-game voice chat. For all intents and purposes, the game is full of bots playing as dumb or clever as humans. Itā€™s great with buddies if you can get them on Discord or the Nintendo app but most of my time has been spent playing solo ranked. Tons of fun, and varied too.

I bought Super Mario 3D All Stars last night and played Super Mario 64. I made it to ice world and lost 6 lives sliding off cliffs - game over. Man, I need infinite lives. Iā€™ll try the next 2 in the bundle at some point. Moving on to Xenoblade Chronicles 1.

There is a super easy way to get infinite lives. I havenā€™t tried it myself yet, but Iā€™ll try to dig up the video I saw yesterday on it.

EDIT: This isnā€™t the video I saw - that was actually for the Switch version - but it looks like the exact same trick.

I got this at launch and because of Ghost of Tsushima Iā€™ve barely played it - I am also in World 3/ice and loving it, however! Itā€™s so fun! Itā€™s frustrating hard sometimes - I hate levels where the difficulty comes from the camera angle and the constantly moving camera, killing you if you go off-screen. I lost 10 lives to one such level, and it was NOT an enjoyable time.

Anyway, the problem is Bravely Default 2 drops this Friday and Iā€™m really eager to sink into a meaty JRPG (and I played the first demo and loved it, let alone with all the updates and QoL improvements the second demo showed off that I skipped so I can hit the game as fresh as possible). I havenā€™t even tried Bowserā€™s Fury yet, which by all accounts is awesome!

Iā€™m hoping to finish up GoT tonight or tomorrow, and enjoy a few days with Mario 3D Land and then Iā€™ll put it away until after I wrap Bravely Default 2. Thatā€™s the plan, anyway.

(Psst, wrong Mario game for Cosmicat! But this is useful for my Mario co-op progress in 3D World with my wife. We regularly burn through all our lives on auto-scrolling levels)

Oops! Sorry @Cosmicat - I read 3D and my mind went right to the video Iā€™d just watched yesterday, so
I went right to my reply!

On the other hand,

Hereā€™s the latest rumors of a Switch Pro:

Keep the rumors coming internet. It helps my resolve not to buy a Switch just yet. :)

I mean, Mario 64 is fine, but it is 25 years old. While the general model is pretty much the same, that is 25 years of level design iteration, but also just general quality of life and user-friendliness. If you havenā€™t played any 3d Marios, Iā€™d probably start with Galaxy from the same collection.

I hope this is true! DLSS seems like an awesome way to do 4K for the Switch and would actually be a technical leg up over the AMD-based ā€œbig boyā€ consoles.

This bit in the article annoyed the ever lovinā€™ shit out of me.

According to leakers, the new console will mark a significant improvement on the original Switch, performance-wise. Itā€™s set to be the first model to support 4K resolution, along with Nvidiaā€™s DLSS tech (which is able to upscale image quality without a loss of frame rate). Check out our best Nintendo Switch deals if you want to start gaming right here and now.

Bolding mine. You want to get folks to use your ad link within the article talking about the better version of the thing you are trying to sell wtf are you even doing. I mean, at least do it in a different paragraph than one in which you are touting the power of the upcoming new hotness, ffs.

That part made me laugh. Especially since none of those were particularly good deals for the Switch. They all seemed to be above MSRP.

Ugh seriously, that was so šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø terribad.