Nintendo Switch

Sounds exactly like the one from last year and two years ago then!

I don’t think they had “sources” last two years. Just rumors. We’ll see in a couple of weeks.

Oh last year they had sources. So many of them. They always do. Expert bullshittery 101: you’re your best source.

If it’s really replacing the existing Swtich, which will get phased out, then it sounds more of a refresh than something with significantly improved capabilties. I guess 4K is still a possibility, that was the big-ticket rumoured thing right? Higher res, but relies more on DLSS than a heap of extra horsepower.

Right. Plus the OLED screen if you care about playing it in handheld mode (which I don’t, so the OLED screen is irrelevant to me, and will needlessly make it more expensive for nothing gained, as far I’m concerned).

Either way I’m keen for an upgrade whatever it is. I skipped the last refresh.

You mean you stayed with the WiiU and didn’t get a Switch?

If the 4K does rely on DLSS as rumored, then I think they would need to add Nvidia’s Tenser cores, or whatever they’re called, the ones that do the DLSS calculations.

He means the 2019 refresh, better battery life.

You guys are delusionnal if you think Nintendo will sell a hardware over 200 bucks that cost more than 20 to produce
Also the Switch can’t play games at 1080p properly the vast majority of the time (usually, handheld mode offers the best performance) and you’re talking 4K!

DLSS tech is pretty good, can upscale 720p to 4k at reasonable quality. It’s the big rumour that was floating around, that the new Nvidia chip they’re using includes the tensor cores specifically for that purpose.

The difficult thing with that tech as it stands today though, is that the software needs to support it. So not great for back compatibility unless they’ve got something new going on.

Now that sounds more like Nintendo :)
Thank you for the explanation.

Yeah, they should be aiming for consistent 1080p in handheld and improved battery life.

Probably unnecessary, because by all reports the new screen will still be 720p.

That’s an upgrade, the current one is 528p or some other random crap.

The current one is 720p.

Then I really don’t understand the better performances in a variety of games in handheld versus docked XD

Docked output is 1080p

Not by default, here there was an option to output up to 1080p, but given even 720p is slow here in docked, not gonna tempt the devil.

Some games render below native resolution to improve performance. And the resolution is pushed lower when handheld, because the small screen hides artifacts. That accounts for improved handheld framerates in some cases.