Nintendo Switch

Tempted.

Sigh. Ok, bought it.

My Switch haul so far:

• Code for Super mario Odyssey
  • Code for Mario 3D All Stars
  • Code for Breath of the Wild

Hopefully these damn things will work when I finally get a Switch. Nintendoā€™s store wonā€™t let me buy things until I activate my account on an actual Switch, and the same with redemption codes.

You have made excellent choices across the board.

There seems to be a ton of games on sale according to Dekudeals right now. I highly recommend picking up the Valiant Hearts/Child of Light package if you havenā€™t played these games already.

I bought Mario Golf for 3DS but was underwhelmed with the single player experience. I remember it not being well directed and just seemed like randomly playing courses with random characters I picked with no campaign behind it. But maybe I was just missing something? Anyone here play much of it?

Hopefully the Switch version fares better.

For those of you interested, Paper Mario is 50% off at Target right now

Physical copy only, it looks like. Do you buy physical cartridges for the Switch? Arenā€™t they super small? Does the Switch have 6 slots, like a 6 disc CD changer? That would be cool, then you could rotate through 6 games you have on physical media without ejecting any of them.

Yes physical only. Yes I buy physical on many first party (collection is 50/50). Yes theyā€™re small, but like regular SD card small.

No, and thatā€™s the kind of question Iā€™d expect from someone in an altered state of mind ;)

I did post that right before going to bed. But it still sounds like a brilliant idea to me right now. I have no idea how to make it not cost prohibitive though for the manufacturer. It sure would be awesome for the consumer though. It could bring back physical media!

Come to think of it. How were CD changers in peopleā€™s cars not cost prohibitive to manufacture compared to a single CD slot? But they still did it? I suppose cars already cost so much, slipping in something that costs an addition hundred or so to manufacture was no big deal. To get the equivalent from console, each cartridge slot would have to add a few pennies to the hardware cost, and that probably wonā€™t happen.

Iā€™m not sure the main issue is cost.

Yes, cars had six-CD changers. But not portable CD players.

Console cost is a factor but probably a small one. It will be the size, changing the case size and that cost, and the actual need for it. Most game werenā€™t and arenā€™t multi disc.

I went all digital for the Switch when needed and havenā€™t regretted it. I actually went digital with all my portable system when possible. It is nice not having to worry about if I have the right game before I leave the house.

There simply isnā€™t room inside the Switch for SIX (lol) card readers. Look inside it. It would have to be significantly larger, and thatā€™s space that could have been used for many other things that would be preferable (bigger and better chips, for instance).

Yeah, looks like the cartridge is a lot bigger than I was picturing.

I was thinking it was along the scale of a microSD card.

I didnā€™t know Vita games were on carts.

It was the PSP that had discs.

It probably could be, Iā€™d say they keep them a bit chunkier so theyā€™re easy for kids to handle.

I mean they literally included a bitter agent in the card manufacture so kids wouldnā€™t eat them.

Keeping the size larger than absolute strict necessity would fit cleanly within that design mandate.

Yes, I definitely think itā€™s a good idea. Knowing that the carts are bigger than I was envisioning makes me more likely to get at least one that I can have in there all the time. Maybe even more than one.

I was picturing something so small it would be easy to lose, mishandle, drop, etc.

They are definitely that. Iā€™ve only bought a few and Iā€™ve already lost one.

We have a case for the Switch + carts.

The kids are told, in no uncertain terms, are they to switch the carts out.

I give it only a matter of time.