Nintendo Switch

I was playing Travis Strikes Back for a couple of hours recently, but got bored by the jokes, the meta etc… I loved Killer 7 and the first NMH was OK. At this point I lost interest in Suda51, maybe a video will spark some interest.

It’s probably another subject matter, but I think a lot of good will went in the West putting irony in Suda’s works where there wasn’t any, and the current Zeitgeist isn’t kind to that kind of takes anymore.

Travis Strikes Again is one of my favorite Switch games and I already have No More Heroes III but I have little time to play this weekend and needed to try the CoD Vanguard Alpha so it’ll be midweek when I have proper time for NMH.

TSA is one of a kind and brilliant in its presentation of the life of a game developer. There is meta upon meta built into everything it presents. I guess many people can’t see that or prefer to ignore it when they play, but for me it’s an absolutely brilliant way to use videogames for an outlet to create something entirely self evaluatory in a way probably nothing before or after will ever even attempt.

I haven’t had a chance to check it out yet, I’m playing NEO: TWEWY for the foreseeable future, and will probably wait to get a physical copy of NMH3 anyways.

I also need to play Silver Case, and I think there’s something I was planning on buying that releases in September that I can’t think of right now, so there’s a good chance I won’t get to NMH3 for a while.

I didn’t really click with TSA unfortunately.

45 days until I get a Switch.

45 days until, finally, happiness reaches you!

Is this the OLED release date? I’m so psyched. I got a $200 credit towards my pre-order for the new model but it means I’m without a Switch until it drops - and I’m eager to dive into replays (like Zelda, Slay the Spire, maybe start up some Darkest Dungeon and/or Battle Brothers) and new titles I want to pick up like Spelunky 2. So excited!

I don’t want to see an OLED one because I would buy it.

Maybe others have different opinions, but I found the Darkest Dungeon controls to be infuriatingly obtuse on the Switch. It really cries out for a mouse/keyboard or touchscreen, but on the Switch (at least in controller mode) a lot of the controls are “To assign a trinket to the selected hero, hold RT while clicking the right thumbstick, then hold B and release A and RT at the same time.”

I agree completely. It is “playable” but really it’s a chore to do all of the party management with this control scheme. And there’s a lot of party management you have to do in Darkest Dungeon. Playing it in handheld mode at least gets you some touch screen controls. It helps in a significant way but still not a great experience. You’re going to spend a lot more time juggling items and navigating stat menus on Switch than you’d probably like because of this.

Once I’m a Switch owner, Warioware sounds like a game I’ll have to eventually try. Down the line. Lower priority than all the Mario games.

Lucky for you, there is a demo!
Stop bumping till you got yours, I was excited you got it!

Looks like it is releasing on the Switch at the same time, woo!

Short version: If I wanted to irresponsibly spend like $25-50 ahead of a vacation on one or more new Switch games to play with my gf or that would be fun for her to watch me enjoy, what would you all recommend?

Longer version: We’re going to Charleston, SC for a few days, but just got an AirBnB and mostly plan to sit inside and hang out w/ each other in the change of scenery, cook food, make cocktails, order out from local cool joints, maybe walk the beach late at night, and play some Switch together. I have a ton of games, but mostly haven’t touched the Switch in like, 9 months, d’oh. Picking back up even stuff I was really digging prior to burning out on gaming sounds daunting, and little of what I have fits the “play together or cool to watch” goals I have.

Lists of what I already have and what kinds of stuff I generally like/want are below.

Games I Already Own
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons (we both adore this, will play it a lot)
  • Cat Quest 1 (cute, almost beat it, done with it)
  • Diablo III (feels less cool to play with Everything At Blizzard)
  • Dragon Quest XI (love it, will finish sooner or later, but not multiplayer, so, meh)
  • Drawful 2 (cool but no go 2 player)
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses (may start this in lieu of finishing DQ 11 in the near future)
  • Fuser (cool DJ game my gf and I played a lot but kinda burnt out on)
  • Hades (love it, but have played about as much as I ever will)
  • Jackbox Party Pack 3 & 5 (Fun but mostly bad for 2P)
  • Kentucky Route Zero (very cool, but bad vibes for a vacation)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (burnt out a few hours in; too hard for me)
  • Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle (looks cool, may start it)
  • Mario Kart 8 (gonna play this w/ the gf)
  • Mario Tennis Aces (why is this so bad??)
  • NBA 2K20 (I’m too dumb to play this)
  • Ni No Kuni (gorgeous, might be fun for me to play and her to watch)
  • Octopath Traveler (way more oldschool than I counted on; boring)
  • Pokemon Shield (burnt out on this a few hours in; gf things all Pokemon after Gen 3 are dumb)
  • Ring Fit Adventure (might actually try this again)
  • Sayonara Wild Hearts (gorgeous, but we played it a lot)
  • Slay the Spire (love it but am done with it)
  • Super Mario 3D Allstars (we might start Sunshine or Galaxy together, I guess)
  • Super Mario Odyssey (burnt out a few hours in; platforming is hard)
  • Super Mario Party (gonna also play this w/ the gf, but it’s so limited)
  • Super Smash Bros Ultimate (fun, but she doesn’t like fighting games and the campaign got too hard for me)
  • Tales of Vesperia (Poor choice for me to play/her to watch in this scenario)
  • Vall-Hall-A (Looks cool but maybe not the right vibes for vacay)

What I’m Kinda Looking For

• Fun 2-player games that are quick to learn, easy to pick up/put down, and not super geeky stuff (she’s not gonna go for a deep tactical TBS)
  • Quirky fun easy-to-get-into 1P titles that might be entertaining to watch (would prefer to avoid stuff that’s ULTRA twee, stuff with tons of overt fanservice, really hyperviolent stuff)
  • Weird indie experiences, cool major titles that are on sale, or stuff that got a second life on Switch are all cool by me
  • Dreamy/artsy stuff that’s short and funky is also cool, so long as it’s not just, like, grim or slow-paced (e.g., Kentucky Route Zero is super up both our alleys, but isn’t the right feel for a beach vacay)
  • She kinda digs stuff like puzzle games (loves Pokemon Puzzle League, for instance), sports titles (loved Wii Sports way back when), rhythm stuff, and cute stuff (played fuckloads of Piffle on her phone, for instance)

Doesn’t need to be hyper-girly; she digs Mario Kart and thinks Zelda and Hades are awesome when I play 'em, but stuff that’s easy for us to enjoy together is optimal and I kinda lost track of what’s come out recently.

Sorry that’s so long and weirdly hyper specific :)

edit: I am very tempted to just do the new Warioware which looks ABSURD, but it would blow the whole budget and might include more gross stuff she finds distasteful (she hates toilet humor type stuff)

Have you considered any of the Lego games? Paper Mario is another that might be good too, no platforming

Snipperclips sounds like a great fit for what you’re after. Short, not too intense co-op puzzler. One downside is that it’s not a lot of gaming per dollar if you’re looking to get a lot of mileage on what you pick up.

Taking a look through Games - Deku Deals filtered to just local mutliplayer for ideas.

Unfortunately most stuff is currently full price, even if it’s been heavily discounted in the past. But you could get a lot of good co-op options for under $50 if you stick to the current sale titles, and that’s probably what I would do if I were you.

And you can set up a wishlist for anything else that catches your eye to get notified when it does go on sale.

‘!’: I’ve personally played this local multiplayer and can particularly vouch for.

‘$’: On sale

Co-op puzzle-y:

• Trine Ultimate Collection $ !
  • Ibb & Obb $
  • Knights & Bikes !
  • Boxboy + Boxgirl
  • Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime !
  • Katamari Damacy $
  • Unravel 2
  • KeyWe
  • Overcooked
  • Haven

Co-op RPG-y:

• Kitaria Fables
  • Child of Light $
  • Cat Quest II
  • Darksiders Genesis
  • Spiritfarer

Co-op combat-y:

• 9 Parchments
  • Children of Morta
  • River City Girls (if she likes beat-em-ups, also look at Streets of Rage 4 or Scott Pilgrim, among others)
  • Full Metal Furies
  • Castle Crashers Remastered $
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 !
  • Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
  • Crypt of the Necrodancer $

Local Competitive:

• Taiko No Tatsujin $ !
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris 2
  • Mario Golf
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympics

Baby is You. Two brains can’t be too much for this one :O

This is the way

Monster Hunter Rise. :)

But seriously, maybe Golf Story? It’s pretty cute and entertaining, but may be boring for her to watch you play little golf games I guess…

How bout stuff like Stardew Valley, or Rune Factory 4?