Nintendo Switch

Speaking of docks, anyone have a third party one they’d recommend? Looking to get a second but refuse to pay Nintendo’s asking price. This is for the OG Switch.

I think @DaveLong might have turned me on to this one but I’ve been very happy with my Skull & Co. “Jumpgate” for a couple years now:

Caveats: doesn’t work with the OLED Switch (shouldn’t be a problem for you, but a consideration if you’re future-proofing), and the Switch is not as stable and protected while docked as it is in the Nintendo one. It’s slightly more fiddly to dock because it’s harder to eyeball getting it centered, and slightly more fiddly to undock because the connection is tight enough gravity won’t hold the dock down while you lift the Switch so you have to sort of brace the dock with another finger. It’s easy enough to adjust to but I wouldn’t recommend it if you have kids that will be docking or undocking it, and the Switch is less protected if there’s a risk of knocking it off of a table or something.

It’s perfect for me though. Nintendo dock stays in the main entertainment center, this dock stays connected in the office, or goes with me when I travel since it’s smaller to pack.

Probably not me unless I saw others posting that it worked, which maybe I did? Looks cool though. :)

Oh, magnet recommended it, in this very thread!

If you’re looking for an arcade racer, Cruis’n Blast feels great to play. Plus the courses are hallucinogenic. Highly recommended.

One negative is a really tight rubber band that makes the finishes close. And there are far fewer than 29 courses, they’re counting variants.

Makes me happy that Eugene Jarvis & co. can still crush a fast action game.

We didn’t call it rubber banding back in the early 90s. That’s a much better name than 2nd place boost or whatever the hell we called it back then. But we quickly learned to slow down enough near the end of each race so that we would get a boost right before we hit the finish line.

It was an art!

Let’s just say that it is inadvisable to spend boosts early. You cannot leave the field in the dust as far as I can tell.

Pick your spots and save at least 1 boost for the final stretch.

My favourite rubber banding was Virtua Racing in the Arcade: it only affected human players, and ensured all races were to the finish line, while not feeling like cheating.
For having played it again last year, it is still the Apex of that art to me.

Incidently, the only Arcade port of Virtua Racing is the amazing Sega Ages version for the Switch, which you should grab right now ;D

They never had that in any of the arcades I went to. At the university I went to, they had some Neo Geo machines with a bunch of cool games, about 5 games on each of the two machines. But I don’t remember any of those now. The main machine that was super popular was the original Mortal Kombat. And Street Fighter 2. And Cruisin’ USA. And a Stunt car game, I forgot what that one was called, where you do loop de loops and stuff, that was fun.

I spent most of my time down there playing Mortal Kombat and Cruisin’ USA.

Hard Drivin’ probably. It was a strange game.
I prefered Test Drive… 2 on DOS at the time, because of the lack of time limit, and you could turn on wipers and radio and stuff, which fascinated me. And there were crazy loops (or stuff close to those!) in it too!
No idea what Cruisin’ USA is, but it seems related to that Cruisin’ Blast game from what I’ve heard.

God I loved that game so much.

Speaking of racing games, Bloody Rally Show drops today. Instant buy from me.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/bloody-rally-show-switch/

Gonna pick up Virtua Racing as well since it’s so dang cheap.

Oh my, bloody Bloody Rally.

Please tell us how it fares in handheld mode if you get to try that.

Once you have Virtua Racing, get seven buddies to come over and you can play it eight player split screen.

There is a weird decision drawback of forcing the local 2 players mode to use the 2 joycons, instead of any controler. It’s never been patched, sadly.
No such issue if you are 3 drivers or more, though.

Games that force Joycon usage are a pretty much immediate close and never reopen for me. Mario Party is hell on my hands using those tiny ass things.

That’s really the only way I play the Switch.

Hahahaha you think I have seven friends. Adorable.

Did some Virtual Racing races! Fun!

Bloody Rally Show is now out, and besides having to get used to the buttons being different than the Xbone controller I’ve been using for over a year with the PC version, it feels great.

If it’s just the a/b mapping that throws you, you can change that in settings.

OMG I had no idea, THANK YOU. This is so much better.

The A/B and X/Y switching is driving me crazy on Switch.

Thank god for Mario Odyssey. X and Y do the same thing, A & B do the same thing. That’s the way games should be designed for the Nintendo Switch, for Xbox players! :)