Nintendo Switch

The OLED Switch is on sale for $309.99 on woot.com today.

Tempted, as I sold my Switch a while a back, but I figure they gotta be doing a Switch 2 within the next year.

I got Luigiā€™s Mansion 3 in the last sale for my sonā€™s birthday. Along with Mario Party Superstar and Yoshiā€™s Crafted World. LM3 is what he has gravitated towards in the last few days since his birthday. Terrible timing by the way, his birthday. Iā€™d have much preferred he keep playing Breath of the Wild like he had been. But a birthday is a birthday.

Anyway, so Luigiā€™s Mansion 3 is this really weird hybrid of camera relative controls and tank controls. The left stick controls Luigi like most normal games, relative to the camera. But the right control stick controls the direction heā€™s facing, and thatā€™s tank controls, i.e., relative to the character. So left on the right stick turns him counterclockwise from whichever direction heā€™s facing, and right on the right thumbstick makes him turn clockwise. Itā€™s a deliberate design decision to make him harder to control, and to make the game more challenging.

And it kind of works? The whole game is sort of designed to be played with Luigi as a scarety cat character who doesnā€™t want this role thrust upon him. But with Mario and everyone else already captured, the job falls to him. And heā€™s terrible at it. And how do you show that? Well, through the terrible controls, of course. So yeah, I kind of admire it as a way of showing the player that Luigi should be scared, since heā€™s a bit incompetent, and the controls do a good job of making the player feel that reality.

Welcome to why many of us hold Nintendo in such high regard. Their game design is almost always uniquely appropriate and consistently well considered for the setting of the game.

A lot of the time thatā€™s because they designed the mechanics first and then decide the characters and story second.

New Indie Showcase Nintendo Direct starts in slightly less than one hour.

So, youā€™re saying that Resident Evil should have had better controls because your character is supposed to be a badass member of the elite Special Tactics and Rescue Service?

Heā€™s saying that Link canā€™t sprint for more than 10 metres without getting out of breath because heā€™s got sleepy legs from his long slumber.

I am taking out the sequels to kingdoms of loathing and oxenfree.

I downloaded Disney Speedstorm (the latest Gameloft game) yesterday, and I donā€™t know if itā€™s overly complicated or if Iā€™m just old. So I started with Mickey, and heā€™s level 1, but then I can upgrade him with character shards or checkered flags or something, but I donā€™t know if it makes him faster or gives him new abilities or what. You can throw items like in Mario Kart, but each one has a regular version and then a charged version, plus character-specific abilities, and then you unlock characters byā€¦???

tl;dr: It seems like a mess of interrelated currencies that I need to collect, but I donā€™t know what Iā€™m collecting, what I need to spend them on, or why. And I just know that someday theyā€™re going to have a TRON racer that will somehow cost $20 in cash, and Iā€™ll just shove the bill into the Switch and it will accept it.

We finished Luigiā€™s Mansion 3 this weekend. The game says 34 hours, but I think it was a lot longer than that for us. The game only counts the time that you actually made it, the time you actually beat that boss, not all the times you failed trying it, so thatā€™s why I think it was probably close to 40 hours.

My son didnā€™t want to let it go though, so he went right back in a few hours later on the second to last save game before the final boss fight, and sure enough, looks like the hotel has been re-populated with ghosts on all the levels, so I suppose he can go through all the levels again if he wants.

The final boss fight is really tough. So much so that we actually tried Co-op mode for the first time, where I played a goo version of Luigi and he played Luigi. We didnā€™t do much better in Coop than we did in Solo play (in Solo you just can control one of those characters at a time).

When the final credits rolled, I noticed that thereā€™s lots of Western names and Indian names in the credits, but very few, if any, Japanese names. It said the game is developed by ā€œNintendo and Next Level Gamesā€. Looks like thatā€™s a Vancouver Studio that made this game in 2019, and they were purchased by Nintendo in 2021. Anyway, they did a great job. My son was definitely enthralled in the story from beginning to end, and I had fun with the mechanics.

I donā€™t really ā€œneedā€ it, but I keep on eyeing the Zelda Switch. I have a 1st gen switch that really doesnā€™t hold a charge more than like 2 hoursā€¦ They tend to hold some value so I can probably sell it for a few bucks in the future, but on the other hand the console is 900 years old. :)

This might be a mistaken internet, but I saw some mentions this week of a common screen issue with those models. Just in case this is something that might concern you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/q8lccj/oled_model_green_tint_at_low_brightness/

Edit - Remembered the actual place I saw the Zelda reference: Didja buy a Zelda OLED? Chances are good that your screen is borked (here's how to check) | ResetEra

Eh honestly that looks like not a big deal. I tried and ya maybe if I drop the brightness down to 30 percent it does something. But I would never use it at 30 percent. That is like one of those threads where people return tvs 20 times to get a perfect uniform picture and get mad when the people at the store eventually say no.

Another example.I think it was The Crown and certain tvs would be fringe and they were freaking out returning it and such. It literally was one show lol.

I appreciate the heads up though. :)

This was The Crown issue.

People were legit returning tvs over and over.

So ya I bought it lol. Itā€™s not life changing better, but itā€™s a big jump from the 1st gen lcd model. Itā€™s noticably heavier and feels more premium. Xenoblade Chronicles looks awesome on it. Playing that until Zelda comes out next week.

Oh i didnā€™t know about the heavier aspect. Thatā€™d be quite a drawback for lazy weakling me.

Wait a minute. I thought you denied that you used it a lot in handheld mode.

People change. Iā€™ve been using it almost all of the past year handheld, to read in bed mostly (which is why I didnā€™t complete FFX till recently, as I thought playing that game in handheld was criminal).
Iā€™ve been back at the desk for the past couple of weeks, for FFX, of course, and for Tactics Ogre now. I might actually finally play Super Metroid Prime finally too soon!

I played for a good 3-4 hours yesterday hand held and it was of no issue for me. Itā€™s I think 40-50 g heavier. Not a lot, but it certainly feels more solid.

So I got a question about which Switch to get: OLED or Lite? I canā€™t imagine ever playing it on a TV or monitor anyway, and Lite is almost half price of the OLED. Is the OLED screen worth it?

I find the OLED colors very pleasing, and the screen is also larger. The size makes (imo) as much difference as the panel technology.

I wouldnā€™t get anything other than an OLED Switch unless cost is most important consideration.

Also, some games do just fine on a large screen. The Switch does run at a higher resolution plugged in.