Nintendo Switch

D3+D4 have the best story and puzzle maps (wait, so does D1), D5 has the most polished mechanics and interface.

If you like tactical grid combat and like to go full munchkin disgaea is the game for it. It lets you build up heroes to hit with damage numbers that need scientific notation.

Nin nin nin.
It’s humor, the characters act like 7 year olds.

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate might exactly be what you are looking for!

Okay, probably not, but I think its raw, bullshitless, nature and lack of oversexualization are part of why I love the game so much.
And I take any chance to type its name anywhere,

That’s a weird noise to have buried in my brain from half a lifetime ago. I feel like I’ve just been struck by my posthypnotic trigger and I’m now a Manchurian Candidate.

XC2 doesn’t have any romancing.

Seems like every screenshot has a hypersexualized anime babe in it. I guess that’s what puts me off?

I’ve eyeballed that. Are the battles gory? My daughters play the Switch a lot and I have to be careful what I put on it.

They aren’t full of blood or gore, but they absolutely have suffering animals that whine and limp away from you while trying to escape your blade and make it to a safe area where they can rest up. You have to follow them and keep hacking and hacking away at them until they die.

pff, such a butcher. True hunters capture those magnific beasts!

That was something I wasnt comfortable with way back, to tell the truth. You arent forced to massacre peaceful beasts anymore (although you have to slap or throw dung at them so they leave you alone, and it require skills as simply taking them out of the picture is much simpler).

But it is a very slow burn game, meaning you got a learning period that extend past those of a Paradox game before really enjoying it, if you take my word for it.

edit : your daughter may be exposed to some adorable sheep petting and kissing in the starting village, aaaaaaw

Hmm… I may have to hold off on the suffering animal simulator. I’ll get my own Switch someday and revisit that.

While technically XC2 doesn’t have a romance system (there are pre-written plot romances), it is wall-to-wall waifus. And a significant chunk of the side-quests are side-stories about those waifus.

Also, that plot romance is pretty cringey stuff.

I think XC2 is an astoundingly good game, and put probably 150 hours into it. I also have an unusually high tolerance for JRPG/anime content, but XC2 is pretty out there. Given Clay’s stated concern, I couldn’t possibly recommend it.

Speaking of a tolerance for JRPG content, I started poking at Ys 8. So far it feels pretty firmly in the Atelier / Legend of Heroes generic-anime game tier. Which is about what I expected.

Adol Christin, or the redhead cretin as he is called in the Breton folklore, has always been very American Action Hero and seemed impervious to the various girls/goddesses/princesses that regularly were throwing themself at his neck in the earlier games.

Oh, yeah, he’s very silent-protagonist and there’s no hint of romance anywhere in Ys 8 so far (despite a de rigeur accidentally-seeing-girl-bathing scene in the first hour).

But the characters feel really very generic.

Exciting news for those waiting on Dragon Quest XI Switch port:

Square Enix has announced that it will be releasing a demo for Dragon Quest XI S on the eShop ahead of the games September 27, 2019, launch. Revealed at the Dragon Quest Summer Festival 2019, no date is currently planned but some special bonuses will be unlockable for people that download the demo. Users that keep their save data will be given a “Skill Seed” bonus when playing the full version.

So you and your daughter can enjoy the best aspect of the game:

Reading that article, I really don’t see how Nintendo is to blame at all. It’s almost like they were determined to write a “both sides” article about this “problem”.

They make a big deal of the 0.5 mm thing, but…I mean, that’s the scale that these kinds of things work on.

Right. I think it’s just easy to take shots at Nintendo and get away with it and that helps get more clicks. There’s no both sides to this that I can see. Third parties that are not building licensed products are always going to have these sorts of issues. Their whole MO is to make stuff that’s cheaper than Nintendo official items. That’s their business model, and apparently they need to hire better engineers, maybe from Reddit?

The original Reddit post ends with this, too…

TLDR: It’s unlikely Switches are bricked because of it not being PD compliant. Bricking results from a fried M92T36M PD chip (which manages docking and power). Without this the Switch can no longer charge. Docks lacking dedicated PD chips and/or cheap uncertifiable USB-C dock connectors can result in overvoltage and thus frying this PD Chip.

The only worrying bit to me is a bit at the end about using USB A -> USB C cables, because it sounds like there are some charger / cable combinations that might possibly cause problems, but probably won’t? I assume that just using high quality cables will avoid that though?

Edit: actually it seems like the A->C issue isn’t Switch-specific at all, so just use high quality / certified cables and it’s probably fine.

I find it hard to imagine a USB A to C cable could draw enough power for it to be a problem.

I read some comments on the article and a lot of people are pointing at USB C as a bad standard that’s being wiggled around a lot by a lot of manufacturers. I’m not savvy enough to know if they’re right, but it does seem like C has been more troubled than things that came before it.