Nintendo Switch

Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 6PM ET/3PM PT.

So has anyone picked up Torchlight II & what do you think?

I was disappointed to read that it does not have local coop. :(

Pretty sure I saw @tomchick playing it.

I am whelmed.

Really, it doesnā€™t compare to the other action RPGs Iā€™m currently playing, and I feel itā€™s not a very good fit to the Switch. Granted, Iā€™ve only spent a little time with it, but I donā€™t feel inclined to spend any more.

-Tom

Thatā€™s the first time in the history of the world that this has been said.

Today is a great day for my brain treasury, but unlike bereft, I canā€™t make out the meaning of this one (and the definition of the verb isnā€™t helping me at all).

Overwhelmed, like wow this more than I expected (for better or worse), underwhelmed is when something is less than expected and disappointing (unlike overwhelmed, this is almost always used negatively).

ā€œWhelmedā€ is the indifferent, boring, not even worth complaining about, middle ground.
Not really good, not really bad, just bland and not evoking strong feelings either way.

Aaaah, thank you. I was thinking about the other two, but couldnā€™t think of how whelmed would relate to them.
Wow, thatā€™s like worse than underwhelmed, to not even be disappointed. Indifference. Now I get the negativity of the post.

To be fair to Torchlight II, when I was offered the code, I thought it was the latest Torchlight that was about to come out. It was only after playing for a bit and then realizing, ā€œWhat, havenā€™t there already been two Torchlights?ā€ that I understood it was a port of an older game. Torchlight III is apparently in development and not out anytime soon?

As for not being a fit for the Switch, I specifically mean in handheld mode. The artwork and camera is clearly made for a larger screen. Contrasted to, say, the console version of Diablo, which works nicely in handheld mode. Also, I was super-meh (i.e. whelmed) by the way Torchlight approached difficulty level. Itā€™s one of those ā€œjust pick whatever difficulty level you want and we wonā€™t give you any incentive to make it harderā€ approaches that I find so galling.

-Tom

Thatā€™s missing part of the story. You had a wonderful time with the game, and then you realized the difficulty level did nothing, and you were aghast! One of my favorite reviews.

I concede that it was fun!

-Tom

This is a bummer to hear. I was perhaps hoping for more given Panic Button handled the port.

I did go ahead and buy it since I had some credits and $20 doesnā€™t seem too crazy. Weā€™ll see soon. Do for sure wish it had couch co-op since my wife LOVES Diablo on Switch and this could have been fun (and we only have one Switch).

Diego

I played back in the day coop with the kiddo and we had a good time. I bought it last nightā€¦and yes, it does not play as well as D3 on the consoleā€¦but I did enjoy it a bit on the large screen and will continue playing it and try hardcore mode soon. Good deal for 19.99

This will probably get swamped by Nintendo Direct news, but River City Girls looks neat. Itā€™s by Wayforward, with their typical problematic cheesecake, but sounds like a solid brawler.

They also released a Mighty Switch Force Collection on Switch, which Iā€™d recommend if people have never played them.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is finally getting an upgraded port - I think there goes my last reason to still own a Wii U.

Still need Xenoblade Chronicles X.

This Nintendo Direct was bonkers. Something for everybody. Xenoblade, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Deadly Premonition, Obra Dinn, Overwatch, AssCreed, Jedi Outcast?

You could maybe argue too many ports and not enough new contentā€¦but you canā€™t say Nintendo isnā€™t trying.

Oooh Iā€™m excited for Deadly Premonition. That game is bonkers.

Also Divinity Original Sin II for those who were disappointed by Torchlight II and/or Pillars of Eternity. And itā€™s availableā€¦ now.