Nintendo Switch

It’s a well known issue at this point. Seems to be a design flaw/material erosion situation. The good news is Nintendo is kind of owning up to it by allowing free repairs on affected joy cons, even out of warranty.

Unfortunately, new units continue to use the same inherently faulty stick design and will, inevitably, degrade. Until they change the design, they’re just throwing bandaids on the issue and forcing customers into an obnoxious cycle of returns :-/

oops, sorry, I meant to write I have this issue with the new Switch Lite. I hope it was just an calibration issue.

People are reporting the problem on the Lite also. I’d really like to get one but I’m leery of spending money for a console that’s going to have control problems.

It’s coming on the 18th!

Hooray! I’m there. Excited to play coop with my kids. They’ve been watching lots of YouTube videos to prepare.

Let’s hope that delay was only to aim at an Halloween release, not a sign of deep issues.

I’ve been taking the demo for Mistover out for a spin and have been really, really liking it. Basically, it is a chimera of Darkest Dungeon, Etrian Odyssey and the Mystery Dungeon games. Because I love all of those things, it is unsurprising that I’m having a really good time here. I may be forced to throw down 30 for this…

Thanks for mentioning this. Hadn’t heard of it before. Looks rather cool. Ofc, I’m only in the third month of fire emblem…

Oh hell yeah, thanks - this looks right up my alley, taking the demo for a spin now too. It’s on Steam also.

Some of the reviews are saying that the RNG makes the game very unfair.

I have a hard time trying the demo after watching the horrible Japanese presentation movie that makes it look like something that… I am the opposite of fond of. It’s marketed as usual there as a dating sim with children.

Whaaa? I don’t see any dating Sim stuff? I didn’t pay attention to the movie but it seemed to be just “in a dark world, dark stuff is happening etc etc”

Yeah that movie is weird, and reading the steam japanese reviews, it seems the people expecting that sort of game are leaving negative reviews about being disappointed, so I should probably try it!

Ugggh if there are any gross elements I totally apologize to everyone!!!

I’ve fired up the demo and apart from the (put your prefered adjective here) artwork, it feels really close to Darkest Dungeon. As far as weirdness, well the healing little girl seems to really enjoy being hit by monsters. But there is no awkward tea so far.
I find the combat pacing excruciating though.

Pine just dropped on Steam, not seeing it on Switch yet though.

Well, I just got a copy of YU-NO for the Switch. I’ve been interested in seeing what all the fuzz was about for what seems decades now, so I was really curious to finally play it.

So far:

• I guess Steins Gate was really inspired by this… Like reaaaaaally inspired. The main character is equally annoying too.
  • The age of the game shows. Most specifically the game’s origin as an adult game is obvious as hell (although this is a remake of an already sanitized version, the dialog is full of teenage “edginess” and sex jokes. Which works for the unlikable protagonist, but still…) and make it so that you need to play it with a historical mindset to get over some questionable stuff.
  • Other than that, it is very, very promising, with much more “gameplay” than other VNs (certainly way more than Steins Gate). It’s a pity the remake didn’t change some of the badly aged stuff, but at the same time it’s good that it preserves more or less the same experience, I guess?

I played it when I was 20, had much less Japanese knowledge and was much more easily forgiving of Japan’s casual woman-hating in games (thinking (wrongly) it was tongue-in-cheek). Once translated, I am not much surprised the main character, who is supposed to be quite cynical to begin with, comes out as being simply a douche.
In any case, and bear in mind I am not drawing a parallel between the two games, I suspect I might not enjoy my time in Yuno much nowadays, in the same way I had a very tough time finding Planescape Torment not immature when I played it for the first time 10 years after its release.
I’ll be very interested, if you manage to stick with it (it’s very long) to hear about the game once you finish it. It’s near impossible to evoke anything without the risk of spoiling it.
Finaly, I’m a bit surprised they kept all the innuendo: most of the sex scenes in the original game were so tackled on I would have thought very little rewriting would have been necessary to bypass them.

Tieing this to the recent discussion about pixel art, the original PC98 game use those monochromatic or pastel backgrounds (because of the 16 colours limitation of the hardware) in these kind of games and especially Yuno that I find super evocative in a hardcore way. Looking at the higher definition art, I feel like a little bit is lost.

Just catching up on an Animal Crossing preview and LOL, Edge Magazine…