Nintendo's 2016 Console Release - The NES Classic Edition

This came out of nowhere! I’m surprised that it wasn’t leaked. $60 for a very solid collection of 30 NES games. Sega’s been doing this for years and honestly I didn’t think we’d ever see one of these throwback consoles from Nintendo.

[details=The games]Balloon Fight
Bubble Bobble
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Dr. Mario
Excitebike
Final Fantasy
Galaga
Ghosts 'N Goblins
Gradius
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
Kirby’s Adventure
Mario Bros.
Mega Man 2
Metroid
Ninja Gaiden
Pac-Man
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics
Super C
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tecmo Bowl
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link[/details]

Yes! Looks like my kids will play classic NES games after all! The controller is perfect for younger children. They struggle with the 360 controller.

It’s probably cheaper than picking them up on VC, which is kinda dumb.

Those are some sweet games included… Bubble bobble was awesome.

Zelda 2 though? I seem to remember that as being the worst of all the zeldas.

It’s not.

Well obviously I wasn’t counting the CD-i abortions.

Zelda 2 gets a bad rap because it doesn’t follow the traditional Zelda format but it’s a game that I think would hold up well without the context of the rest of the series. Really enjoyed the way it combined overworld exploration and side-scrolling action as a kid.

This has no real value to me, but I want it anyways. Not normally a problem for me; I blame it on my parents not letting me get a console until the SNES came out. I guess that’s not too bad in the grand scheme of “childhood scars”.

Yeah, Zelda 2 is pretty great on its own merits. It gets deserved flak for difficulty spikes and those goddamn telepathic shield assholes, but it is legit for sure.

It’s been ages since I played it, but I seem to recall it having a lot of random encounters as you walked around the top level map, and then after you died you got sent back to the very beginning of the game or something.

I am sad there are no mini cartridges , which would occasionally have to be blown out, to remove dust.

Kids just won’t get the same experience we had back in the day. ;)

Also no Duck Hunt , nor Zapper. :(

I never owned an NES so I’m excited to get this and be able to play the original Metroid and Zelda. Very cool!

Sadly, I don’t think the original Zelda is one of the 30 games. Gosh, playing through the original Zelda was magical back then.

The list is out there. Zelda and Zelda 2 are on it. Mmmhmm.

For 60 bucks it seems like a no brainer. I wonder how the very retro-graphics will look on big screen TVs.

2D pixel graphics hold up fine. I have been playing the hell out of Master of Magic on my big fancy modern displays without issue.

Here you go:

• Balloon Fight
  • Bubble Bobble
  • Castlevania
  • Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest
  • Donkey Kong
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Double Dragon II: The Revenge
  • Dr. Mario
  • Excitebike
  • Final Fantasy
  • Galaga
  • Ghosts N’ Goblins
  • Gradius
  • Ice Climber
  • Kid Icarus
  • Kirby’s Adventure
  • Mario Bros.
  • Mega Man 2
  • Metroid
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Pac-Man
  • Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
  • StarTropics
  • Super C
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Tecmo Bowl
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

I must have looked at the list in the OP 10 times and still didn’t see “The Legend of Zelda” until just now.

Yeah, same here. I’m glad I was wrong! Zelda alone makes this thing worth it, I think. I never really enjoyed the other games all that much. Like Ghosts N Goblins I played on my Amstrad 128, and it was fine for the time, but I bet I would hate it now.

Some of the other stuff will hold up pretty well, I bet. Gradius, Double Dragon II, Castlevania II, Dr Mario, Super Mario 1/2/3, Super C, Metroid, Mega Man 2, Tecmo Bowl, Zelda 2 - I will totally play all those games.