Nintendo's 2016 Console Release - The NES Classic Edition

Hey! Finally someone else who agrees with me on this! There are at least 2 of us! Everyone else I’ve met seems to think Sim City 2000 was better. I just think the game didn’t need the additional complication of a water and sewer system and a more 3D world. It was best in its original pure form.

But but but… what about Arcologies?

Sim City 2k was so good. :)

On console, the minor additions to Sim City 1 made it basically perfect. On PC, SC2000 is my favorite expression of the model to this day.

It’s part of it, speaking for myself, and I had an N64. If you ask me, it just wasn’t all that good a shooter, however groundbreaking it was for consoles. At the time I was playing Goldeneye, I could also play things like Action Quake 2 using a mouse and keyboard instead of an ergonomic nightmare of a controller which needed you to press digital buttons to rotate your view. Even on the N64, Perfect Dark was a much better multiplayer game, and Goldeneye’s campaign was terrible. It had two things going for it - splitscreen multiplayer, and the Bond licence. That took it a fair way, to be sure, but I’ve no nostalgia for it.

This was the other reason I was going to mention, but forgot to. The default control scheme was terrible. I only ever played it the way my brother did, using control Type C, where the yellow C-buttons were the equivalent of WASD keys for movement, and the analog stick was used for looking and moving, but Type C was not the default, I found out years later. The default Type A, I heard was what you described, where you needed to press buttons to rotate the view.

That’s because everyone else is right. Sim City 1 was still fun though. Is there hate for Goldeneye. I have really fond memories of it despite feeling like UT was the earliest FPS game that “stuck” with me, that and original Tribes.

I played a lot of Goldeneye on the N64. A lot of 4 player split-screen with friends. It was tons of fun, and it made the entire console worth owning for just that one game. However, it’s unplayable now. The control scheme is just too cumbersome. We’ve seen what dual sticks controllers can do for an FPS on consoles and there’s no going back to the N64 controls. It’s unplayable.

Some games hold up decades after their release, like Super Metroid, and some should be left in fond memories, like Goldeneye.

You only really need the analog controls for aiming though. Digital controls for movement is pretty much standard, as it’s how PC shooters work.

And that’s the biggest problem with PC shooters, IMO. Especially immersive first-person games like Dishonored or what have you - I dearly miss analog movement in games that move slower than UT.

What have you done

Ya, I guess that’s true, with stealthy games or something. I never played Dishonored.
For goldeneye multiplayer though? Digital movement seems fine.

Yeah, that’s another thing about PC FPSes: mouselook was a brand new thing at that time, so Goldeneye was still ahead of the pack, even if the N64 controller is now an alien thing. I used the 2-controller, 1 player setup sometimes. Now that was something!

Anyway, Goldeneye 007 is a more seminal FPS than Half-Life. Phew, it’s out.

I think that only works for PC due to mouse look. With an analog sticks strafing with the left analog stick is also used to help turn faster since the right analog stick alone only turns so fast, where as with mouse look you can rely on strafing just for strafing and not really for aim assist.

Kinda bummed that these mini-consoles turned out to be almost impossible to get at retail.

When this console originally came out in Canada I had already moved on to computers so I never even saw a nintendo system first hand, let alone played one, until the Gamecube, so I was kinda looking forward to eventually nabbing one of these and seeing some of the games from a console generation that I completely missed (which still had adaptations of arcade games that I remember from the Atari 5200, only the Nintendo versions would be better). Bah.

I’m a bit bummed too. I was hoping for a NES classic once the prices came down and the obsession about them as well.

An acquaintance of mine broke up with her boyfriend because he couldn’t get her the NES Classic. They’re back together again and I hear they finally found one. Yay?

What??? This can’t be real.

Oh you better believe it! I won’t go into details, but for some this shit is serious, y’know?

I’m betting that licensing is to blame. Nintendo sold the NES Classic for less than the price of 30 NES games on Virtual Console. Someone (probably Square-Enix or Konami) got upset when it sold like gangbusters and wanted a bigger cut. We’ll see what happens if they do an SNES one. I bet it sells for closer to $100 than $60 next time around.

Obviously it is Konami.

From Reggie: 2.3 million units of the NES Classic were sold total.

“We had originally planned for this to be a product for last holiday,” Fils-Aimé told TIME. “We just didn’t anticipate how incredible the response would be. Once we saw that response, we added shipments and extended the product for as long as we could to meet more of that consumer demand.”[/quote]

“Even with that extraordinary level of performance, we understand that people are frustrated about not being able to find the system, and for that we really do apologize,” he said. “But from our perspective, it’s important to recognize where our future is and the key areas that we need to drive. We’ve got a lot going on right now and we don’t have unlimited resources.”[/quote]