Nioh 2 - Turn demons into loot again

Even better news, PC version February 5th!

The third DLC comes out December 17th. They work fast.

Finally!

I forgot I only played Nioh 1 at 60 hz. It should be awesome at 144 fps. I assume that should be relatively easy to achieve with a last gen game. I’ll have plenty of time to find a 3070 anyway.

[EDIT] Apparently Nioh 1 was locked to 60. And I guess they could pull a Capcom and keep the easily achievable graphics upgrades stuck on next gen consoles. We’ll have to see!

Great news! Hopefully the PC version is indeed based on the PS5 upgrades!

Finally!

I decided against the double-dip this time, and it’s been a long wait. I hope it’s worth it and we get a decent port. :)

Oh I saw this tweet over at BF back on the 13th that spells out all the good news for PC. No worries there.

Perfect. Looking forward to this one.

I’m looking forward to playing it again. I think I’ll start with the sword, play NG+ with the switchglaive, and then get better with fists.

I didn’t really like the other two new weapons from Nioh 2, but I suppose I should try to squeeze them in.

My approach in the first game was to pick up each weapon type in turn when I found one that I liked the look of, and use it for a mission or two. I’m sure I would have finished faster if I picked one and fully committed to mastering it, but the variety from rotating was lots of fun, so I’ll probably stick with that approach.

Nice! HDR and high refresh are all I had hoped for. :)

Steam page is up

Also the usual pre-order discount on greenman, 20%.

Team Ninja emptied out their entire library of attack animations and just added a bunch of new skills to every weapon.

PC players are going to have an almost absurd amount of content dropped on their heads at once. So many weapons, special moves, and enemies.

After 100 hours it’s still a blatant loot grind, but if you get hooked, you’ll have more than enough variety to explore.

Where are you getting this info from? I can’t actually find any substantive patch notes.

Reddit users are posting about them. But none of the skills appear to be secret, so you can simply go into the weapon skill tree and look for new ones — assuming you can remember which ones are old, heh.

English patch notes usually get released later on.

Can’t wait! Already got this preordered, which I almost never do.

Whew, this last DLC is tough but satisfying. There are some challenging combat arenas in this one, including a 3-boss gauntlet, a Team Ninja specialty. What’s nice about that one is they put the hardest boss first, which is a modern touch of fairness to the difficulty. They might not have done that 15 years ago!

They added some new enemies, a challenging new miniboss, and reskinned some existing minibosses, which is more fun than it sounds. No new weapon, but this is more than enough content for me.

I have one mission left, a duel with some Dead or Alive character that Team Ninja brought in for fun.

I’ve been having fun with the fists.

I plan to give them a good run on PC. Maybe in NG+ or NG++.

So, odd question, but I have noticed when playing this on PS4 with Japanese audio and English subtitles that when the subs say “yokai” the Japanese word being said is not actually yokai, but I haven’t been able to really catch it. Maybe a three or four syllable word starting with a? Anybody know what they are actually calling these things in Japanese?

Edit: I tracked down a video where someone actually talks to Toyo three times with the Japanese dub, as I remembered her dialogue as being one of the most memorable where this happens. She calls them “ayakashi,” which according to jisho.org means:

1. ghost that appears at sea during a shipwreck​
  2. something strange or suspicious​
  3. idiot; fool​
  4. noh mask for roles involving dead or ghost characters

and according to wikipedia is, “the collective name for yokai that appear above the surface of some body of water,” which is strange because the yokai in that stage don’t really fit that definition. I’ll have to keep an ear out to see if the other characters refer to them this way, too.

Looks like this is likely it for the Nioh series! It’s too bad; probably my favorite games of that last few years. Yes, they can turn into a bit of a grind, but the action is just so satisfying when you get it.