Nioh 2 - Turn demons into loot again

Aaaaah, OK, now it makes sense. Yeah, I’ve had my share of beating bosses on my first try in Nioh 2. But this one… no. I guess it conflicts with my way of playing the game at this point, in which I usually outrange most enemies with my axe, and don’t mind that much getting hit since I have lots of defense and toughness. If I were in the “don’t get hit at all - dodge all the things” mode I don’t think this boss would be much of a problem. ;)

Are you still keeping your agility at B? So mostly medium armour? I switched to an axe build at level 30. I like the spin attack but I’m taking too much damage when I execute it. I’m really not good at this game. I have the hatchets as a secondary. Trying to add water damage to everything.

Agility at B, yes, though with Stamina as my main stat that means I can mix some heavy pieces for higher toughness and still be at B agility.

Thanks, so you try and get your toughness over 200? Do you actually block a lot as I prefer dodging if I am able.

Yes, my thoughness is over 200, and I can block most things and punish right after. So I’ve been dodging a lot less.

Hmm that guy has 3-4 sweeping attacks in a row, so maybe dodging would be better?

I remember he took me a few tries in my first play through because he’s so aggressive and hits pretty hard. But he shouldn’t be a roadblock, so maybe step back and re-evaluate everything first.

Yeah, I know I can’t block that boss. But I got used to blocking, so my dodging time is all wrong, and that’s what’s hurting me. I’ll beat him soon enough, I’m sure. It’s just a matter of adjusting.

Also, this thread has magic powers, so I posted in the hopes that just the act of posting would make me get past that boss in one or two more tries. ;)

I just hit the first DLC. Is the rule of thumb still “Wear whatever gear has bigly numbers” or is now the time to start focusing on a build, tempering equipment, etc? I recall that was the general rule for the first playthrough, but just wanted to clarify if that was “first playthrough including the DLC” or if that just meant the base game.

Thanks!

It’s the same for the most part, but now you have a new tier of gear so you’ll want to focus on building up a set of that. (You can also forge it but there are some UI quirks and you’ll need materials so Google it.)

The primary thing to think about now in the blacksmith is soul matching +level gear. If you find a nice +1 weapon, you can soul match it with another +1 weapon to get +2, etc. That way if you can temper your favorite weapon and keep upgrading it rather than picking up a new one off the ground.

So I guess tempering is useful now too. The DLC is kind of a gray area. Maybe closer to NG+ now that I think about it.

Awesome, thanks. I did just find a Tempest Splitstaff +1 on my last mission yesterday, which just happens to be the type of splitstaff I’ve been wanting (Imbue Water, i have a lot of life drain on water damage stuff and that’s kind of where I want to go with this build). So just keep an eye out for more +1 splitstaves and hang on to them for soul matching?

I love coming up with builds and experimenting so I’ve been looking forward to being able to work towards that to some degree. There are two armor sets that I’ve seen so far that I’m interested in (mage hunter and mage warrior something or other, light and medium respectively) but I believe I can only get purple quality of them in the base game? Some googling (insert complaint about how scarce info online is on this game, it’s probably all lost in Discord somewhere) seems to indicate the plans might not drop until NG+. Boo.

You can match with any +1 weapon but it costs twice as much if it isn’t a splitstaff. You can also match with a +2 but think about how that would be inefficient.

I thought smithing texts dropped in any playthrough but I could be wrong. You could look up another set or just go with whatever you find for now. Not a huge deal right now as long as you keep it upgraded.

You’re a lifesaver, Tim. I really appreciate all your answers/info in this thread.

Also, TIL you can change the number of quickslot “pages” you have in the game options? Oh boy, something I read/watched early on made it sound like this was something that had to be unlocked at the blacksmith. I guess it was done this way previously, maybe in Nioh 1? Sigh. I’ve been waiting for that to show up for a long time now. :) I’m heavy on magic and use a lot of spells, they take up most of my slots and it’s been limiting in terms of having enough slots for buffs as well as my combat magic.

You can also put the same items on multiple “pages”. That way you can always have the Elixir in the same slot for example.

You can get smithing text in all difficulties. When I’m farming texts, I just use the Dream of the Samurai to kill as quickly as possible.

I got purity dual sword to drop. It definitely still works, but I don’t break ki nearly as fast, which I’m sure makes sense, given fists synergy with ki breaking. I still end up with a lot of survivability and I’m sure with some more tuned gear it will push out some decent damage. Fists seemed easier to play, but I probably just need to work on my dual sword skills a bit. I’ll probably use both.

One of the few times I’m glad when a wiki lies, then! I know what I’m doing tonight.

Dual swords don’t have any brain dead ki breaking moves. On my sword / dual sword build I have the sword’s Kick and Sword Ki (it’s in the name) special attacks and then I switch and it’s not as good. The low stance combo ender (where you jump in the air) is okay and god of wind also works but it’s best if you hit the right timing for the bonus attack.

What you should try is use fists to break ki, then switch to high stance dual swords for Water Sword to melt the hit points. It’s usually better than going for a finishing move, at least on NG.

Before you do that, post the exact gear set you’re looking for. Some of the smithing texts are in a “general pool” you can get from any boss but aren’t as likely to get as a boss’s signature sets.

Here’s a pretty reliable guide:

Onmyo Austerity (page lists Restoring Harmony, Dream of the Strong) and Spirit of Seimei (Nine Symbols, no difficulty mentioned). It was mostly the former I was looking for as light armor was making me feel a bit too squishy.

So looks like Onmyo Austerity may in fact be NG+?

EDIT: I’m open to some suggestions, too! I’m heavy focus on magic and I really like the splitstaff and would like to stick with that weapon. I really like magic because I always wanted to like magic builds but ended up hating the implementation in the Dark Souls series, this game does it much better. That being said, I’m really starting to like the Yokai abilities as well.

My early goal was either to go mage or battle mage. As the game got harder I started moving away from light armor into Medium. I was mostly focused on lightning initially but got some gear and guardian spirit with life drain on water damage, so I switched direction a bit. My idea at that point was to be a water battlemage type with the ability to take an occasional hit and recover via the lifedrains, that sort of thing.

@KevinC That specific text is given as a dojo mission reward in NG+, but you can farm for it off the boss Saito Toshimitsu in the mission Restoring Harmony. If you don’t want to farm, then you could just wait until you get to NG+ and do The Nine Symbols dojo mission (you’ll need 500k Onmyo proficiency to do it) when it opens up during the NG+ playthrough.

Ahhh, I see! So I have a choice in whether to farm it up now or get it guaranteed once I hit that mission in NG+? Restoring Harmony is that spinny guy with the fire/water sides, I think (don’t you like my technical descriptions?)? I do pretty well against that dude so I might not mind farming it.

Any ballpark idea of what drop rate is on texts? Is it one of those things I might expect to run 10 times or more like 100+?