Nioh 2 - Turn demons into loot again

Great news! Glad to hear it.

Anyone have suggestions for a good tonfa build to get me through this awkward Way of the Demon progression? I have been running a Splitstaff build with Benkei’s and omnyo; it has been quite strong, but I’m bored with it but would love to try out the Tonfa. I’m only starting to get graces on gear drops.

A day later and I’m in that same awkward progression in Dream of the Wise. I want to go to the last difficulty level but I’m so underleveled and these hatchets don’t do enough damage even if they’re pretty fun. I’m just playing until I find some decent weapon drops. I’m switching to odachi and fists next.

And 30 minutes later I said screw it and respecced, then crushed the final boss to make it to Dream of the Nioh with two brand new weapons to get good with. Now I’m excited again!

The only cheese build I know of is Devastation with Tonfa Gun. You can temper Devastation Damage and it gives you a good single burst attack. I remember I grinded through Dream of the Demon DLC that way on PS4 when I was pretty underleveled.

The joy of making it through one mission on the final difficulty level: upgrading my +25 gear with all the +39 trash I found lying on the ground. Haha!

Well, scratch that. I just found a +37 version of my +27 weapon that also has two star effects. Don’t mind if I do!

That first mission into DotN provides some crazy upgrades. Going from +25ish to +40ish is a pretty large step up. Also XP, I think I gained 30 levels my first time through that first level.

Have you (or anyone else) made it through the Underworld?

I just played the first 3 levels.

Wait… those orange inheritable stats can be re-rolled after being inherited to another item? Aaaaaaaaah. I’ve wasted so many of those without having any idea. I understood they were “rare” inheritables but I thought that meant better stats, yet the stats never seemed any better so I just shrugged, assumed I got a bad roll, and moved on.

Thanks for the tip. I’m not sure I ever knew what those did. I still have an empty slot on one of my weapons.

I guess the limiting factor is how some effects conflict with others, so getting another slot to roll an effect doesn’t make it too powerful.

This game has so many mechanics.

Ok, this Lady Osakabe fight is gonna take a while. Not a big fan of gimmicky bosses, but to be fair, Nioh 2 has (fortunately) very few of those.

If you’re on PC, be sure to set your frame limit to 60 FPS.

It’s in 60 FPS, fortunately. ;)

Good simple patch here.

I’m on a short break from the game. I had one of those random moments a few weeks ago where I feel like I needed to stop playing video games for a while.

I’ll be back.

Nice. Hopefully that fixes those crashing issues and I can turn the settings back up.

I haven’t had much time to play anything lately, but have still been chipping away at this when possible. After finishing the initial playthrough, I tried the beginning of both the DLC and Dream of the Strong. DotS seemed easier, so I decided to start with that, just doing the levels where I had missed a kodama or hair lock the first time through, and before I knew it I was finishing the playthrough.

All that was with my initial equal-stats build, but I decided to do my first respec and have been going through the DLC on DotS with a splitstaff and omnyo build, which has been very effective so far.

Fixed an issue that could stop text from appearing on the screen in certain environments.

Nice, hopefully now I can upgrade my soul cores properly. ;)

This game is SO good. Almost finishing the main story at this point and I’m loving every minute. Oh, and BTW, fists are awesome.

Really glad to see the patch, the crashing has been really obnoxious especially when doing things that frequently bring you back to the main screen. Running a lot of picture scrolls, for example. I could stay in the underworld for hours but I’d crash after 4 or so picture scroll missions, guaranteed. Seemed like some memory issue or something related to the text, which is probably why it also started disappearing after a while. That was usually a good indicator I needed to save and because a crash was imminent.

I don’t know how many times I’d clean out a full inventory, soul match up a bunch of stuff, only to have a crash wipe out all the work and have to do it all over again. :)

I finished the main campaign over the weekend, my interest was beginning to Peter out towards the end.
I was using a life leech tanky spear build where you spam strong attack and Yokai abilities with some Omnyo talismans to support, made it fairly trivial. Did half of the first DLC, think I will give it a rest for a while and play something else.

Things really… I don’t know how I want to put this. I don’t want to say “come together” because that implies things don’t come together in the first playthrough. But in any case, the difficulty and build options really explode when Graces are introduced, particularly the Ethereal variety. If/when you come back, it’s much faster going through the next difficulties because you just need to complete X missions, not do the entire campaign again thankfully.

For my part, I’m probably nearing the end. I’m just about on floor 80 of the Underworld and have alternated between a few builds. Lately I’ve been running Switchglaive + Saratuhiko(x7), Genry(x1), and Dreaming Demon (x3) for a Yokai Shift build. I think Yokai Shift could use some work and certainly isn’t meta or anything, but it’s been fun trying to focus on it and make it work.

Last night I just made an adjustment, ditched the Yokai Shift stuff from Genryu and Dreaming Demon and picked up 5x of Onmyo Austerity instead. All the extra time in Yokai Shift was kind of wasted previously because of how the mechanics work. Get a little DOT on you or step in a fire as a levitation scroll wears out and it’s pretty much instant depletion of the shift gauge. So I’m still focused on yokai shift, I just don’t care about extended time. I use Empowered Magic to keep my Protection talismans charged and just rely on that instead. It also allows me to use more Familiars to apply Sloth and Devigorate (courtesy Onmyo Austerity) since I can get the charges back.

Yokai Shift builds don’t seem to be popular at all. They’re a lot weaker than the Living Weapon builds from Nioh 1, which was a similar mechanic but much stronger in practice.