Nioh 2 - Turn demons into loot again

Nice work everyone. I’m not going to make it through Dream of the Nioh. I still haven’t opened my new sim wheel from Christmas and the Ninja Gaiden collection comes out in June. I’ll have to come back to Nioh 2 another time.

That’s fine. Nioh 2 will be there waiting for you. ;)

Yes and unlike with Nioh 1, I can see myself revisiting it. The first game is locked to 60 fps. The sequel could still use another optimization pass, although who knows if they’ll bother.

My love affair with Nioh 2 is coming to a rapid halt thanks to Tatarimokke.

Good lord.

That’s the owl, if I remember right? What aspect of the fight is giving you problems?

I have a pretty fragile build and I just can’t get in close with my hatchets without getting clawed all to hell or shot full of ghosties. I’m barely putting a dent in its health meter. Plus I can’t break the red pot in the Yokai realm without getting killed.

It’s more of a ranged fight so I’m thinking I should try heavier armor and ranged attacks… as soon as my patience meter replenishes.

Enraged edit: Well, that didn’t work.

Oh god, I took a long break thanks to Tatarimokke. That fight kinda sucks. I wish I could remember how exactly I beat it. I remember taking some of the talismans that make you dispel other realm pools when you walk through them for dark realm phase. Trying to burst down the thing he spawns in dark realm that shoots ghost balls. Sticking to him as much as possible because I feel like his worst attacks are long range.

Edit: oh you’ve tried most of that already. Maybe a decent summon to help take the pressure off?

One of the tough ones. Very quick follow-up attacks when you think you have an opening, and you have to wait for it while it flies around. I assume you’re hitting every single burst counter.

My biggest concern is when you say you’re doing very little damage. There are times early on where the power curve rises more quickly than you’re ready for. This is also when it’s nice to have an alternate weapon with high reach or damage, like spear or odachi. Fragile builds are not easy either.

Otherwise, without damage your only hope is to destroy its eyes with high strong attacks, hit every burst counter, and kill that red orb. That will reduce its ki enough to do some real damage.

What others have said – emphasis on destroying the eyes. And dodge the ranged attacks when it’s flying. Do your fragile thing. Hit and run. Hatchets have a ranged attack, but they are low damage.

edit: take a break, too. that’s one of the most op counters to repeated death.

Thanks for the great tips! I did take out his eyes a few times… I’ll keep trying.

I’ve been relying on that a ton up 'til now… but it’s slow to charge so I keep taking damage which interrupts it. I’ll check the Skill tree to see if there’s an alternate ranged hatchet attack that throws faster.

(later that night…)

Well, I got it down to 50% health which is the best I’ve done in 20ish tries. I think I’m finally learning… I found a few openings, plus I can take out the red orb. But I still have a hard time dodging most of its attacks so I’m gulping down elixirs and running out way too early. I can’t even seem to reliably get the burst counter for some reason. I haven’t had a hard time with those until now… I guess the timing is different.

Gonna take another break and give myself some relaxing time with Resident Evil 2.

Are you able to block any of the attacks or does he crush right through them? The little spin moves and quick attacks are almost impossible to dodge. Same with the air projectile attack, if you can block it, it makes it trivial. There are also only a few attacks with a long enough opening afterwards to counter. That’s why breaking ki is so helpful for this fight.

Yeah, I didn’t have a hard time with this boss, but I was focused on blocking (high toughness and all), and since I had invested heavily in stamina at that time, using a cannon also helped. Though it’s a really good idea to bring visitors with you if you can. I don’t remember if I had help with this boss (I don’t think so?), but I did face it a few times more as a visitor (helping other people) and having more than one person (more than one target for the boss, I mean) is definitely useful.

I ninjutsued its ass which is why my advice was ranged focused. I didn’t have too much issue dodging the projectiles with distance and plenty of nutritious ki juice.

Am still curious to hear which bosses were big gates to others. We all seem to have different crucibles.

Yeah, that’s interesting. The one I had the worst time with was Magara Naotaka. Second place would go to Yatsu-no-kami.

EDIT: I should mention I haven’t faced any of the DLC bosses though, only the ones in the main game.

It’s always interesting to see. Tatarimokke was pretty easy for me but I had really struggled with some other bosses around that time. Nothing to do with player skill on my part, just my build had the tools to deal with him pretty well, I think. In later difficulties when I had Sanmyo Storm it was trivial. That poor owl just gets wrecked by that since he’s so large with the wingspan that all the swords connect.

I definitely need to block more… I rely too much on dodging and I think that’s what’s messing me up here.

I’m also stubborn about how I play these games and I refuse to use visitor summons. I get through these games on my own or not at all.

Usually not at all.

OVERJOYED EDIT:

I did it! I am victorious!!

Check out my elixirs (up arrow) and remaining health. A nicely timed gulp of Sacred Water right at the end made all the difference. I had him below 10% and decided to press the attack which usually backfires and ends in thigh-smacking, loud-cursing despair… but this time it worked!

One thousand times this.

It’s uncanny how our brains get better at these boss fights overnight. I mean, I get how frustration will lead to sloppy play but it really seems like I somehow get more skilled during my time away.

Yesterday I struggled to get him to 50% and after sleeping on it, today I had him below 50% every time I tried and it only took about 6 more attempts to vanquish that pesky owl.

How many licks now, muthaf*cka??

Hotfreak likes an image

I was just waiting for the thread to be bumped with the inevitable great news.

Now back to the enjoyment.

This quote had me worried (plus he’s a mean lookin’ bastard) but I beat this boss handily.

Almost got him on my first try, then I downed him pretty easily on my second try. I found I could reliably dodge his attacks and hit him with my ranged hatchet attack.

HUZZAH!! And onward.