Nioh 2 - Turn demons into loot again

To be fair, it does go a lot faster once you know what you’re doing. But you’re still looking at 200-300 hours. I play so few games now that I don’t mind it. I might pick this back up after I finish Ninja Gaiden 3.

Okay, NOW I beat Nioh 2. I saw credits rolling and everything!

I ended up going to about 190 before I petered out. The NG+ was fun, but I am way overpowered at this point, and I’ve got the two builds I wanted done so I moved on for now. This was a really fun game though. After playing Nioh 2, is Nioh 1 worth going back to?

That’s a common discussion topic. The short answer is no. You lose a bunch of mechanical improvements and the developers already included all the enemies from the original in the sequel. The maps are different but everything kind of blends together. The only things you miss are the boss fights and some story beats. That’s worth it if you’re addicted to the series, not if you’ve run out of steam.

I made it roughly a third of the way through the first Nioh but hit a tough boss fight and never returned. For whatever reason, I stuck with the sequel the entire time. From what I played, I sure don’t think the story makes it worth playing the older game.

I like this game’s more compact missions/levels but I’m ready for a more traditional Souls experience with a giant, interconnected map. Not sure if I’ll poke around NG+ or jump into Sekiro next. I confess, I’m curious about all the new, green gear that the final fight showered me with!

I’ll be the dissenter on that. If you’re enjoying the gameplay, but you’ve run out of steam at least in part because you’re feeling overpowered and have done the same levels and bosses a few times now, then why not switch over to a new character in unfamiliar environments?

Yes you will miss out on some QoL improvements from the sequel, but exploring new places, not knowing what’s around each corner, is one of the great joys of this genre.

That’s fair. Usually when people ask this question there’s an element of FOMO and the person sounds ready to be done, so I was trying to help in that sense. If you want more Nioh, certainly play it.

@rrmorton Key word “showered,” haha. That reminds me, definitely check out our old friend at the beginning of mission 1 in NG+. See how you do.

I’ve just about finished Dream of the Nioh. After 40 hours of searching, I found this badass drop for the weapon I’m using:

My God, it's full of stars

The funny thing is I’d only call this an A instead of an A+. I’d rather have AA attack bonus in a more useful stat that stamina, and Active Skill Ki Damage does about 3% more than the general Melee Ki Damage version.

The endgame loot chase is fun because you can temper something onto your accessories to increase the drop rate of your current weapon. So you pick a weapon you like and then play the game for 40 hours until the RNG gives you a better version of the weapon you’re using. The improvements aren’t massive so you don’t feel like you’re missing out anything. It’s just satisfying when you finally get the drop you want.

Finished! Wow, I’ve been grinding the Underworld for 2 weeks. I completed all 30 levels of the Depths as well. Not too bad overall. My build was probably only 90% optimized.

I think I’m finally done with the game. It’s time to rest.

Such a great game. Nioh 3, please!

Is the second game easier than the first? I had no problems at Nioh 1 but my gf couldn’t beat it.

I had a much harder time in Nioh 1 than in 2, though I did play most of Nioh 1 with light armor trying to dodge everything, while in 2 I have a lot of toughness and block a lot. So I’m not sure if 1 is harder or if I was making it hard for myself unknowingly. ;)

Think they said 2 was the last game in the series, and are on to other IP. They could always change their minds in a few years.

Nice going, Tim!

Wow. I worried for you, Tim. Congratulations!

So, how many hours?

Just a hair under 190 for PC to do everything, plus around 200 on PS4. It didn’t feel that long because I love the gameplay.

Nobody can say you didn’t get your money’s worth, that’s for sure!

Epic is giving away both Nioh 1 and 2 bundled. Should I start work the first or just jump to the 2nd? For reference, I played all three DS games and loved them all (well 2 not so much). Same case here?

Edit: It’s actually just Nioh 1 complete edition. I don’t know why I thought this was a bundle with both. I’ll just play that.

I just jumped straight into Nioh 2, I heard it had a lot of improvements over the first one.