Nioh - Demo on PS4

I would’ve suggested waiting for a twilight mission to pop up to get some really good gear, but you seem to be completing a playthrough in a single day, so you probably don’t want to wait.

I haven’t done many Twilight missions. I’d have to run them on Way of the Wise. Do you think that would drop better gear than normal missions on Way of the Nioh? I’m also on level 13 in the Abyss, haven’t really done much there either.

Probably not. I usually had a good build from the previous NG that I used until I was able to unlock most of the missions in the next NG. I think I farmed Marobashi and maybe some other levels.

The Grand Tournament is crazy intense. 100 enemies coming at you, mostly 2-4 at a time, with no real breaks. I’m overpowered (weapon wise) for it on the Way of the Strong, and I still had to try several times to get through it. I can’t even imagine doing that on a harder difficulty.

Finished up the remaining achievements. Whew…

Got lucky and had a smithing text drop for my favorite Kusa. Crafted a killer version and started melting things. I also got lucky with my armor smithing text, but I didn’t have the right materials to craft them so ended up with the same armor I had since Way of the Demon.

Looking forward to #2 coming to PC (hopefully).

Way to go! I broke down and bought 2 on PS4 to double dip. Worth it.

I’ve been tempted, but my launch-era PS4 sounds like a jet engine and randomly drops controller connections. But if the PS5 arrives before the PC port, I may well break down. The original was one of my favorites of the past few years.

I tried Nioh 1 on PS4 after completing Nioh 2.

Eeeee… is harder, less tools and stuff. Enemies damage me even when I am blocking. Coop is with 1 other person, and is hard to find other person. I dunno… I could see they made better a lot of things for Nioh 2, that I miss on Nioh 1.

It’s always hard to go backwards in a series, IMO. I tried going from Monster Hunter World to MHGU and just couldn’t do it. I loved Nioh 2 and thought about firing up the first one but was kind of hesitant for that reason.

Nioh 1’s story is better (still nothing spectacular but I enjoyed it and had some care for the characters) but if you’re just there for the action and loot there’s no reason to play it.

Yeah, action and loot is the draw for me. It’s a rare game that I pay much of any attention to the narrative side of things. Sounds like I shall just have to wait a good long time for Nioh 3. :)

There are also some neat boss fights, but overall they’re less interesting without the burst attacks. Maybe give the game through the first region. Don’t feel obligated to play it though.

I got an email from Steam that Nioh Complete is on sale for $15. Looking on gg.deals, I confirmed that this is a historic low.

Enough of you have been nudging me to get Nioh 2 in various threads that I assume the original Nioh is still worth getting, right? Or has it been eclipsed by Nioh 2?

Good question.

I have another one: I heard Nioh is heavy on items/loot. I really dislike games where I have to spend my time with looting / which have lots of similar items to manage. How is Nioh in this regard?

For me Nioh 2 is better in every possible way, so I’d only recommend Nioh 1 if you want to see the first part of the story, or if you’re a completionist.

There’s a lot of loot! Managing it isn’t too hard though, and though you can take at most 600 items with you, you have a “box” with unlimited (I think) space you can put things on if you want. You can select multiple things to sell or disassemble, and it’s easy to compare stuff to whatever you have equipped, so it’s pretty manageable. That said, you will have to dedicate some time to that, so if you hate it with a passion, you might want to skip Nioh… though it’s a great game I recommend.

Well, the bad news is that there are a lot of items to manage, and you’ll probably have 100 new ones at the end of every mission.

The good news is that for the first hundred hours or so, you can get by spending very little time and attention dealing with it. You’ll be fine if you just use the highest-level item you have for each armor slot, with maybe an occasional substitution if you find yourself going over 70% of your weight capacity. Treat it as a pure action game. Your character will still have ~90% of the power of someone who meticulously optimizes their gear, and the extra time practicing the combat mechanics will be more fun and more effective. For the first couple playthroughs there just isn’t that much difference between the best possible item you could find for a slot and one that’s merely pretty good.

Agreed, you have to sort through lots of loot. They design the UI and filters and tools to make it not too bad (I’m flying around on autopilot most of the time) and I admit the allure of getting an extra +1 out of my gear in the most efficient way possible makes the minutes go by quick. But if I ever sat back and considered my life choices, there’s probably 40% too much loot management compared to the joy I get from working toward builds. Not a perfect game by any means.

Very helpful answers. Thanks a lot!

The… the story? No, definitely not interested in the story in this kind of game.

Got it, thanks! I’ll wait for a deeper sale on Nioh 2 instead.

The story in Nioh 2 is surprisingly good, even more if you know a bit of Japanese history, in particular the end of the Sengoku period. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, so there’s that.