No Child Unrecruited

ooof

Sharon Shea-Keneally, principal of Mount Anthony Union High School in Bennington, Vermont, was shocked when she received a letter in May from military recruiters demanding a list of all her students, including names, addresses, and phone numbers. The school invites recruiters to participate in career days and job fairs, but like most school districts, it keeps student information strictly confidential. “We don’t give out a list of names of our kids to anybody,” says Shea-Keneally, “not to colleges, churches, employers – nobody.”

But when Shea-Keneally insisted on an explanation, she was in for an even bigger surprise: The recruiters cited the No Child Left Behind Act, President Bush’s sweeping new education law passed earlier this year. There, buried deep within the law’s 670 pages, is a provision requiring public secondary schools to provide military recruiters not only with access to facilities, but also with contact information for every student – or face a cutoff of all federal aid.

Hey, maybe the military should have the power to order tax audits too just to turn up the pressure a bit.

I certainly hope the school was not getting federal aid and she told them to go f**k themselves…This country is getting scarier by the minute.

The odd thing is, except for a few people, don’t most people get a social security number? Birth certificate? etc? So don’t they have this info? Or is it not worth their time sending mail to somone who doesn’t attend highschool?

Chet

Recruiters have had no problem finding me, before the act, and before I sent in my selective service thingy. Maybe they’re just getting lazier.

fat recruiters sitting on their asses eating doritos and playing “america’s army” on the office PC, sucking up taxpayer money.

pisses me off. i’m joining the taliban.

Ummm - I was actually doing some research on this act last week (a friend of mine that works at Apple was talking about how high the company was on this legislation http://www.apple.com/education/k12/nclba/ and, having three kids, I started doing a lot of reading on what it does and doesn’t do. I didn’t think much about it, but on one site it mentioned a new “urban legand” that the act had nefarious items hidden in the depths of it’s pages, including one that required schools to give up private information on kids at the bequest of any military officer. Sounds similar to this. I’ll have to go check snopes…

Lackey, once again you prove that your research is sloppy and incomplete and your obvious political bias slants everything you post…

A little more searching finds the following:

Armed Forces Recruiting - Section 9528 of the ESEA requires each LEA that receives funds under the ESEA to provide, on request by a military recruiter or an institution of higher education, access to the names, addresses, and telephone listings for secondary students. However, parents may request that such information not be released for their child without prior written parental consent. LEAs must give military recruiters the same right of access to secondary students as they provide generally to postsecondary institutions and prospective employers.

Further research shows that the intent of the act was related to schools which decided that they would give out student info to employers and colleges upon request, but which decided that they would not allow military recruiters the same info. Sen. Byrd stated that this was not an attempt to provide the military with special priviliges, but to give them the same consideration that other potential employers had. It’s not like recruiters are going to get a list and then knock down doors and grab children - the intent was to be able to send recruiting brochures to homes.

Now for my bias, to be up front: I’ve known a few military recruiters, and they were good people. Very good people.

But not all schools gave everyone or anyone information. This is once again the federal govt jumping in on a local issue. It was the same with the drinking age. Ohio voters voted to not raise the drinking age (when it was 18), the federal govt said well too bad then, we won’t give you this $542 million for your roads. It was blackmail that totally negated Ohio voter’s rights. Even though I vote, that pretty much sealed the idea to me that voting on most issues is useless. I care about issues/positions in my village and past that just vote against anyone else who runs a negative campaign.

Chet

They could also be doing it for the money, they are doing much worse already.

I think the states’ rights issue was mostly settled with the Civil War. States are allowed some latitude, but on some issues the Federal government gets the final say. In Oregon we voted in favor of doctor assisted suicide twice, but it’s still a clusterfuck. I think I’ll get over not being able to off myself, and your high school seniors will probably still find ways to get pissed. Hey, maybe you should raise the legal drinking age! I don’t think the Feds would bother you there!

But what about the rest of us who have to live with ya?

:lol:

Why would anyone so concerned with forcing schools to give out recruiting information, against the will of the local school board? Well, let’s look at the schools that currently do so:

1. A few heavily minority districts, who think the military treats their children as cannon fodder.

2. A few liberal districts, who think the military’s treatment of gays is unconscionable.

Now, why would it be so important for these districts to allow military recruiters? Humiliation is all I can think of, really.

Days before classes were to begin in September, trucks arrived to take away most of the textbooks, computers, lab supplies and musical instruments the company had provided – Edison had to sell them off for cash. Many students were left with decades-old books and no equipment.

A few weeks later, some of the company’s executives moved into offices inside the schools so Edison could avoid paying the $8,750 monthly rent on its Philadelphia headquarters. They stayed only a few days, until the school board ordered them out.

As a final humiliation, Chris Whittle, the company’s charismatic chief executive and founder, recently told a meeting of school principals that he’d thought up an ingenious solution to the company’s financial woes: Take advantage of the free supply of child labour, and force each student to work an hour a day, presumably without pay, in the school offices.

“We could have less adult staff,” Mr. Whittle reportedly said at a summit for employees and principals in Colorado Springs. “I think it’s an important concept for education and economics.” In a school with 600 students, he said, this unpaid work would be the equivalent of “75 adults” on salary.

Holy damn. I can’t believe they’re this shameless; is the local teacher’s union paying them under the table to make vouchers look bad?

Jason, as someone on poe-news pointed out - another simpsons episode becomes reality.

Chet

They did the same here in Louisiana while I was in college. They didn’t even grandfather us in. I was 19. One night, I went to bed and the next morning, I couldn’t buy beer.

I don’t have a problem with this when it comes to differences between federal and state laws. However, if the feds want to have a law on the books, they should pass it themselves. Coercing states by witholding money is not just blackmail, it’s completely unconstitutional. The problem is that noone will stand up to MADD.

I suspect they want to target as many potential graduates as possible and talk to them, to find out how bright they are.

The armed forces have grown so technically oriented, they can’t get away with the process they used during the Vietnam era and the eight to ten years after, which basically sorted the ones with typing skills and some smarts into the logistics jobs, Artillery, Engineers and Armor and those with fewer skills and smarts into the Infantry. When the most complicated piece of equipment the average ground-pounder was likely to operate was an M-16, you could get away with this, on paper, at least. I served during that era, and it was, at times, very scary. My last squad of 11, for example, had two high school graduates: me and a Samoan native. Of the other nine guys, the highest grade completed was 10th, four guys were there on a Judge’s Choice enlistment (“Five years in prison or three in the Service, take your pick”) and the priors on their FBI sheets were impressive, including six armed robberies, FIFTEEN drug possesion charges and one conviction for rape; in 1974+, they were letting anyone in to make quotas. Other squads were not so bad, but everyone had their share.

These days, though, the combat equipment that a mud-foot is likely to handle is a lot more complicated - laser range finders, ground-based radar sets, personnel sensors, more complex shoulder-fired anti-air missiles, etc. And the equipment for Armor, Artillery, etc, is even more complex. Even the Army can’t afford a multitude of dumb soldiers any more; they need people with at least average intelligence and some initiative. That means contacting kids earlier in high school and tracking their records.

So, this is probably less about hitting recruiting quotas and more about making sure the average ASVAB score (Armed Services Variable Aptitide Battery) of recruits starts climbing. You can’t do that if you don’t have full coverage of the kids in high school.

Just my opinion; I could be wrong.

Yep, and Louisiana was one of the last holdouts. Mississippi grandfathered us, but I remember LA was still 18 when I graduated college, years after most states had changed.

The sad thing is that in southern states, the age change just increased the number of drunk teens on the road. Before the change, they’d head to bars and dance clubs. But there was already a “grab a few six packs and go ridin’!” culture in the south before the age change, and afterwards that became a much more common practice.

When I bartended in New Orleans, there was a bizarre rule we followed. You could be 18 to purchase liquor, but you had to be 21 to drink it. But it was not our concern if you chose to break the law, you were an adult and able to make the choice yourself (this was in 1991), so if you drank the booze in our bar oh well, we weren’t the cops.

They just wanted to sell booze to the military kids.

They also had no open container law back then, which was a great way to terrify your out of state friends. Pick them up at the airport, drive around until you see a cop, get out of the car, get a twelve out of the trunk, pop one open before getting in the car and then offer your friend one. “Dude, what are you doing!!!”

Chet

heheh guess no one here ever took the asvab (? sry for the life of me cannot remeber the intitials)
I took that test and had recruiters calling me for 2 years! 2 fucking years!!!

would hate to think what happens to dumb kids who go to army stations to pick up copies of AA…lol