No Country for Old Men

New trailer at:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/nocountryforoldmen/

— Alan

If they’re really back to form then I’m REALLY excited.

This is getting stellar reviews across the board. Must find a way to see it this weekend if it is opening everywhere.

Well now I’ve read the book (and I got my dad to read it) so you better believe I’ll be going to watch this one again.

Yeah, I am beginning to think I should read the book first. Once you see a movie first, you really do not want to spend several weeks reading something when you know what is going to happen.

The book is fairly short.

— Alan

Not opening here this week so to Barnes & Noble I go.

WTF, it’s not opening here in Austin either.

!@#$!@#$

I’m heading out to see it tomorrow night. CANNOT WAIT!

If I want to see this any time soon, I either have to drive to Dallas, or I have to steal it off the tubes.

Who decides when and where films open anyway?

Bitch! The closest place it’s playing is Vancouver, BC. WTF?! Who was in charge of distribution on this baby?

Wahhh! I don’t even know how to “steal it off the tubes” or I certianly would. I have been mightily wronged.

FWIW, I haven’t seen it on any of the tubes. Even the ones that are out of the public eye.

I know I’m way late to this, but I think one of the things that really represents how great the Coens are is that they made a movie as awesome as Barton fink to get over the writers block of writing Miller’s Crossing (which, incidentally, is my favorite at the moment, probably because I watched it most recently)

Also, I don’t think No Country For Old Men is opening within a hundred miles of me :(

Anyone else planning on seeing this tomorrow night? If not, what are your plans?

Am I picking up a delicate hint of sarcasm?

Showing in 3 theaters in Dallas tonight. We got in, got about 30 minutes into the thing (we were at the part where the guy goes back to the place, to speak delicately of it) and somebody pulled the fucking fire alarm. Whole theater evacuated, we exited through the roof of the mall (which was kinda cool, gave insight on where to barricade when we get trapped there during the inevitable zombie apocalypse), had to walk all the way around just to find out that the mall itself was under no alert, so we went all the way back around to the theater. It was closed and they told us they were just going to refund people rather than try to restart anything. We left as there were hundreds of people there and I know their customer service counter can only staff about 4, but we better be able to get our passes tomorrow. Should see it on the matinee if all goes according to plan.

Saw No Country this afternoon. Theater was PACKED. Thankfully, no one took any cell phone calls for the duration. No one got up either.

I thought it was great. It’s rich and dark and bleak, with only a few absurdist touches ala Fargo. The acting is great - Brolin, Jones and Bardem in particular. I’d see this again in a heartbeat just to tease out the nuances now that I’m not nailed to my seat with tension.

The theater was dead silent after a smattering of applause at the end. Everyone filed out lost in thought. They were having some kind of focus problem, so the fantastic cinematography and editing was somewhat diluted along the way for my showing.

I’m going to have to read the novel as well.

Incredibly highly recommended, although you were all going to see it anyway.

I saw it tonight because I promised NoWayJose that I would. I enjoyed it but not as much as I thought I would. It’s slow, methodical, very, very quiet, and completely devoid of the Coens’ trademark flair for inventive camera work. That restraint serves McCarthy’s material quite well and in some sequences the tension is just unbearable. But it doesn’t wrap things up in a (conventionally) satisfying way, and even gives you two fairly long monologues in the closing scenes that are more novelistic in tone than story-related.

A lot of people in the audience got fidgety and annoyed and I too shifted in my seat a few times at the slow pace of it. I think I liked it but I’ll have to chew on it a while. But it sure was fun to see the Coens revisiting the same themes and setting of Blood Simple. The opening wide shots of Texas with voiceover narration make it feel like a spiritual sequel to their brilliant debut.

I watched Blood Simple for the first time last night, and will be watching this tonight.