No Hard Feelings - Jennifer Lawrence asks if anyone F*cks anymore

This looks like fun, and I think Lawrence will be great in a comedic role, but I also feel like this type of movie has been killed by streaming. I’m happy to wait for this to hit some service or another rather than seeing it in a theater.

I saw a trailer and was shocked at how bad it looked. And I actually think she’s perfect for a role like that. I’d love to be wrong as we don’t get enough unserious movies anymore. We have been binging on bad 80’s movies and wow it’s so bad it’s good. Yesterday was Teen Witch.

I’m sorry, but that sundress and roller blades still photo can’t go unremarked. That is adorable and makes me deeply miss some old acquaintances. Too bad the spell is ruined when you actually play the trailer.

Rollerblades somehow died out. I mean they still exist, but EVERYONE had them in the 90’s and it was awesome. :(

All the rollerbladers died young. Only the flat of feet remain.

Never, EVER do a chick doggie while she’s in rollerblades.

There were still plenty of rollerbladers in Chicago a few years back when I was riding the Lakeshore bike path regularly. They were the worst. Too slow to stay in front of you but too fast to be easily passable and taking up way too much space with their back and forth zigzagging.

Down with rollerblades.

Aw, I have some great biking paths and quiet streets in my hood and I rollerblade all the time to get out and get a quick sweat. I don’t disagree about how much space it takes in a lane if you want speed and are not just coasting, I’m always careful to straighten out when passing bikes. But you really want to be a strong skater anywhere near traffic since stopping is not immediate and requires space, and it terrifies walkers when you come in at speed and hockey stop since there isn’t much ‘tell’ other than some more aggressive weaving as you decelerate.

Still remember when I was young and dumb and my roommate and I raced each other to the campus gym, him on a bike and me on my skates. Almost died a few times (stopping and starting at stop signs and lights can be as or more efficient than a bike, but it’s the deliberating around the crowds and lining up your future trajectory at top speeds that are split second dangerous… that, and sticks, drainage grates, tar and gravel), but because I didn’t it was like an exhilarating hollywood chase sequence.

Anyway maybe one day we’ll see a movie where they can actually skate and not flop around or coast downhill in a frozen pose and it can be seen as cool as it can be. Kills me how somehow skateboarding is considered more ‘badass’ when even the best guys are clunking and crunching in ungainly ways… maybe because an amateur can just stand and coast and not look as goofy as a beginning skater. To me it’s more about their association with counterculture rebellion, but movies featuring skateboards typically portray scenarios where they can actually do it well.

Oh yeah, and this is how you get up steps in rollerblades.

Thems fighting words.

Has anyone seen this yet? The trailer looked hysterical.

I really liked this, and most of it is down to Jennifer Lawrence. (Her co-lead is pretty good too, and they have decent chemistry.) She’s 100% committed, down to a fight scene I did not see coming.

Wasn’t that fight scene all CG? It was weird how coy the movie was about nudity – including in the same scene as the fight! – with the exception of that fight, which I was assuming was a stuntwoman’s buck-nekkid body with Jennifer Lawrence’s head CGed on top.

But put me down as a big thumb’s up on this, as well. I didn’t even mind the inevitable earnest/saccharine finale. Jennifer Lawrence and Andrew Feldman were both fantastic, and it was refreshing to watch an unabashed “cougar” sex comedy. Watching Lawrence vamp it up as someone who’s too pretty to be good at seduction was pitch-perfect, and Feldman’s helicoptered Graduate was an ideal foil for her.

So, yeah, I’d say this was a solid installment in the line stretching from The Graduate to Risky Business to American Pie to whatever’s become of “sex comedies” since then.

Nope, it was really her.
{removed crappy article, see below}

Well, for starters, there is literally nothing in that “article” to support the claim she had no stuntwoman/body double. It’s literally an unanswered question as a headline!

And if you actually read the article and look up the interview being quoted, you’ll see Lawrence was talking about doing nudity in Red Sparrow, not No Hard Feelings. The dumbass who wrote that Cinemablend article couldn’t even be bothered to pay attention to the interview he was writing about.

(Here’s the interview queued up to the question and answer about nudity. If you listen long enough, she’ll talk about how they were filming in Hungary, but you can also back up to see that Degeneres is asking her about Red Sparrow, not No Hard Feelings.)

Sorry that was a quick grab - I could have sworn I saw an interview with her that talked about sitting on set naked for 2 days. This appears to have better info:

Again, there’s nothing in the article you linked supporting that claim that there was no body double or stuntwoman. I don’t doubt the marketing for the movie would love to let that sort of buzz build, but I’ll believe Jennifer Lawrence did her own 100% naked three-minute fight scene as soon as I believe Natalie Portman did her own dancing in Black Swan.

And, yes, I’m aware there are plenty of Cinemablend bloggers who’ve posted clickbait articles to that effect, as well. :)

EDIT: Okay, so I went down a rabbit hole because now I’m curious about this whole thing. First up, check the credits! There’s a single digital effects studio credited – Brainstorm Digital – and here’s their demo reel from No Hard Feelings (fast forward to the 44s mark).

It turns out the CG that’s evident in that scene is the background! The fight was shot on a soundstage instead of a beach. And while it’s obvious when a stuntwoman steps in (the backwards flip wrestling move, for instance), I don’t see any evidence that they were digitally manipulating or replacing the actors in the scene. So even though it’s obvious there’s a stuntwoman doing some of the moves, it looks like it actually might be Jennifer Lawrence full-on nekkid stomping around in the sand! Which makes it even weirder how carefully the movie carefully edits around nudity at other times, including in the same scene.

Anyway, there are far more interesting things about No Hard Feelings than who’s wearing clothes when, but at least I can see why that scene looked like it was CG.

Could be some ratings thing. Or could just be they just botched while it shooting/editing/trying to hide the soundstage.

I mean, I loved the Maneater piano scene, but the way it was shot and edited, it seemed like it was trying to hide that Andrew Feldman doesn’t know how to play the piano - even though they added the scene because he’s good at it.

Gene Stupnitsky’s primary talent as a director might not be showing off physical prowess, is what I’m saying.

I also wonder if there were contractual elements involved, in terms of how much nudity was allowed. I have no idea what sorts of nudity clauses there are these days (in the 90s, I once did an audition fully naked…and didn’t even get the part!), but I can imagine how complicated they might be for a celebrity of Lawrence’s caliber. Which might be why literally the only nudity in No Hard Feelings was during the fight scene, and only during the fight scene, and not a moment before (when they’re getting into the water) and not a moment after (the shot where Lawrence scoops up her clothes is conspicuously staged so the clothes hide any nudity).

Which, interestingly enough, is set up in the fight scene. One wouldn’t work without the other. : )

And it didn’t even occur to me to wonder whether Feldman could play the piano, but I might have if CG had been involved! By the way, that scene is really awesome if you didn’t know Feldman comes from musical theater. Which, fortunately, I didn’t. I love being gobsmacked by unseen talents!

Well, if you say so. I thought the fight was a pretty well done set piece. Seems to me the idea was to show she’s a rough-and-tumble brawler, not a display of physical prowess. The only thing that stood out for me was the bad CG and the crass nudity, one of which was entirely appropriate for an R-rated comedy like this.

Sir, this is a Wendy’s, but we’re no longer asking “Where’s the beef?”

We watched and enjoyed this movie tonight. It’s a funny, raunchy, throw-back premise elevated by a good cast and an appealingly cinematic location. I especially enjoyed how the montages of dorky-Percy who needs to get out and live a little basically looked just like my own life.