No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

Cute pictures! I wish the grass in my yard looked that nice :)

It means you’re possibly in a tutorial or mission that wants you to use the booster to find a specific thing.

If so, make sure that mission is selected as the current one in the log, before attempting it.

Alternatively it could be a different bug and the scanner only picks up the one thing on the starter planet. Happened to me too, on the second planet it worked okay.

Note there are also some annoying bugs with the green POI question marks…

• They don’t resolve/disappear when you visit them
  • If you fly into orbit to try reach one quicker, it disappears until you go back down close to the ground and re-scan

Unsure if that’s fixed in Experimental yet as i’m at work and can’t play. Dammit!

Yeah, I noticed those issues as well. :(

One of the most annoying things to me, is how the different levels of detail on the planets don’t match.

You’ll be coming in from orbit, and see summering cool… Only to have it just disappear when you get closer to the surface.

For me, it’s the weather. How a storm is only visible when you’re outside a base or ship, and disappears visually the second you take off.

I ran into a bug where I didn’t yet have a base and some NPC alien offered to become my weapons officer. The UI only gave me the grayed out choice “Accept” which wouldn’t let itself be selected or backed out of. Not a big deal since I’d just landed and autosaved at a trading post, but a sad little bug, anyway.

Yeah, this is part of a bigger issue as the ship scanner is currently broken for POIs. It doesn’t show nearby ones after a scan, only ones far away. I hope they fix this soon as it’s really annoying.

The endless question mark chase is pretty annoying. One good thing though is that sometimes I get a white bulls-eye showing up on nearby POI"s as I am flying over the terrain. Not sure what I need to do to get it triggered. Maybe it’s after I scan a building or interact with a save/explore location. It seems to be on sometimes and then not other times.

Game really needs a planetside map…3-d rotatable globe with POI pins/makers. That would be cool.

Edit: something like the RImworld planet map.

Yeah, I’m not sure either… and they never seem to go away, even showing up through the planet.

Those are waypoints. They get set by scanning a building with your visor. They will go away if you leave the system and come back. They can be handy but they REALLY need to add a way to remove them.

That’s really weird then, because they don’t always show up from scanning a building.

I think it depends on which part you scan. A lot of those complexes have multiple buildings and I notice it gets set only when I scan certain ones.

There’s definitely something janky with how the waypoints and points of interest are working. It makes it really confusing to know where you’ve been and where to visit.

I finally left the starting planet in my new game last night. It turns out that the starting planet is HUGE and has 1/2 dozen moons orbiting it. The day/night cycles on the moons are really weird - I’ve spent a lot of time walking around in the dark. Overall, it’s a really weird and sort of ugly system, but has a ton of research stations, trade, etc.

Well, it used to be that you’d scan, and you’d get the closest POI’s to you showing up as little question marks… now it seems like that’s broken, which makes exploration of the planet harder.

It also seems like the phase beam on ships, indeed, every other weapon, is largely useless.

Even for mining, the photon cannons are much more efficient.

The phase beam used to be better for mining, and was an absolute beast in combat if you upgraded its cooling systems, because it automatically tracked targets in a wide arc in front of you. Now it only really tracks targets directly under the reticle, while having lower range, and also being a guaranteed miss unless it’s locked… so it’s kind of garbage.

I bought some rockets on my ship, thinking they might track targets, but nope, they just fly in a straight line pretty slow.

On foot, it still seems like for combat, it makes sense to just ignore the other weapons and upgrade the mining laser. It still functions like a better weapon than everything else, doing damage to targets even if you just vaguely point the reticle at them… and upgrading its cooling and stuff makes it so that mining resources is much faster.

The net result of all this is kind of lame though. They have a bunch of weapons on the ship and on the multitool, but they end up all being useless.

What about blasting doors open? I have a potentially faulty experiential memory of structures falling much faster to the combat weapons.

After playing the new update for awhile now, that’s my impression too and the reason I stopped. I now can’t find pretty much anything on a planet, and I’m using all the upgrades I’ve collected from 100 hours of playing, so it’s not like I shouldn’t be seeing anything and everything that’s out there.

What pushed me over the edge was, I had to descend into the atmosphere to get the scan to pick up the closest POI, then when I went out of the atmosphere to get to it, because I was sure as shit not sitting there cruising at it in slow motion for 5 or 10 minutes, it disappears and I’m left guessing where I’m headed to get to it unless I descend again into the atmosphere.

I’m not playing like that.

Amen.

Yeah, I’m having a lot of trouble with ship combat. By that I mean that not only can I not kill pirates, I can’t even hit them. I thought maybe it was because I had a shuttle instead of a fighter but I don’t notice any improvement. It’s still completely unresponsive and wallows all over the place when tying to bank or change direction.

I cannot even keep an enemy in front of me for more than 1 second or turn to keep on their tails. They are always heading past me flying in the other direction because they are so much more agile than my ship is.

I have a mission from my base armorer to kill some pirates. Has someone out there killed any pirate ships? How do you do it? What weapons or upgrades do I need? I just spent 3 million units to upgrade to the below fighter. I love its looks and I’d like to be able to kill something with it.

Have you tried turreting?