No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

I haven’t mastered PS4 screenshots, evidently. This is taken from a small planet (that has a moon) in the same system as the mongo planet you see in the pic. The mongo planet was my starting planet and is covered with all kinds of structures, bases, facilities, drop zones, etc. very interesting place to start a new game.

Patch 1.33 is out now.

Patch Notes

But nothing about making scans actually do something useful again? Sigh.

Yeah shame that, I shall load it up and see if it is the same/.

Yep must be a tough nut to crack! :(

Annoying but hasn’t slowed me down too much.

They must have done something because I’m seeing a ton of nearby question marks and before this release I didn’t.

For some reason my patch download connection is glacially slow today. But I certainly hope my ?s are back.

So, during the loading screen, zooming through the star field, there are occasionally stars with names that you zoom by. Are those stars that have been explored and uploaded by other players? If so, that’s a pretty cool little added touch.

I started my first game ever (Survival) about a week ago on a brutal frozen planet. I was struggling immensely as the resource distribution and points of interest were making traversal extremely difficult. I kept dying over and over despite trying new techniques and tactics. I eventually got fed up and deleted my saves to reroll a new starting planet. Deleting my initial saves actually was a sad moment since I had grown somewhat fond of my first planet despite the difficulties.

My new starting planet was the polar opposite and introduced brutal heat along with some radiation and toxicity. Despite that I was able to transfer the skills I had learned in my previous game to here along with some aspects like building save points and signal boosters that I completely missed on my first go around. My newer planet also has an extensive subterranean cave system that allows me to travel long distances on the planet being shielded by the extremes of the atmosphere. I haven’t made it to my ship yet but I have made a healthy amount of progress otherwise.

I am really enjoying the beginning of the Survival game. It’s not as atmospheric or fleshed out as something like STALKER but it leaves a similar and compelling impression. I set out in random directions amongst a very hostile environment and hope I can find some structures, caves, or resources to keep me alive long enough to achieve my next objective. This is exploration at its purest with lots of serendipity, neat surprises, and obstacles to overcome against the gorgeous backgrounds of 70’s Sci-Fi book covers.

The fauna leave a bit to be desired and haven’t added much to the experience. The vistas, alien technology, and aural design make up for that though.

Regarding the post-processing visual effect you can choose in the menus has anyone settled on a different one than the default option?

I wondered that myself, but if so they seem awfully sparse unless they utilize a proximity filter (a system discovered by another player should generally have a line of discovered systems leading from it in at least one direction, with the exception of starting systems).

Yeah, that’s a really good comparison. I just don’t like No Man’s Sky enough to play on survival yet. It was a real relief dialing it back down to adventure mode, or whatever baby mode is called.

Has anyone done much farming? In the sense of growing crops? Can you really be a space farmer, or is that just a little side activity in the base building?

-Tom

It’s useful for getting large amounts of the ice material you need to make glass.

Yeah, you really can. Some folks are making 15 - 30 million units an hour with dedicated farms like this.

I want to make sure I have this right so I don’t screw up my old game forever. If I download the save to a USB stick, I can start a new game. Then when I get angry and frustrated because it’s too much grind and will take me forever to get where I was last year, I can just copy that savefile back to my PS4? My concern is if it does some kind of weird on-line syncing thing? I’ve never quite figured out this part of Sony Online since I get errors all the time abut different games not being able to upload even though there’s “space available”, and what takes priority, and the online syncing can even be turned off?

They added a toggle for Celsius/Fahrenheit in Settings.

Anyone tried Mods? I found a few that really helped me enjoy the game slightly more. Like removing random sentinels from wandering by every 10 seconds. Also, extending the ship to suit transfer range was wonderful.

Anyone have recommendations?

I’ve barely touched the game, but I’m curious as well. Especially about the mod that lets me just hit the mouse or controller button without holding it down.

I found that one, it’s call the Fast Actions mod. I installed it as well, very nice.
Fast Actions Mod at Nexus Mods

Yes, you can do just that. Online synching can be turned off, just in case. It’s in the PS+ menu I think.

I did it myself to enter the center of the galaxy, then brought back the old save file because you can’t come back from that.