No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

I think NMS’s gameplay is still lacking purpose. Multiplayer provides it with the additional purpose of just hanging out with friends, but as far as I understand, that’s already available with people you know.

Same 45

As part of the new update, they’re adding full VR support on PS4 and Steam.

Oh hell yeah! Now we are talking!

That’s really awesome! Can’t wait to try it out.

That is great news! WOO WOOOOO

I don’t own any VR and have had little interest up to this point, but if there is one game to make me reconsider that position, it is this one.

I’m not sure if I’d invest in any VR setups, but that is cool. I think it’s a great fit for the game, I just have no confidence I’d get much use of any current VR hardware aside from this to make it worth the cost.

To be honest, that is likely where I would end up too. Definitely nice for those that already have setups though.

Honestly if I’d have impulse bought a psvr, NMS would have been exactly what I would have wanted for it.

But since I didn’t, I have to say that the majority of the available VR games for it have looked pretty disappointing.

On the pc side, more variety but higher cost and generally the same lack of amazing experiences aside from a few outliers.

Shame really, but I’m still excited about more tasty updates regardless. I always binge awhile after they add more cool stuff.

Well, the blog post mentions that they’re doing a PSVR/NMS bundle for the occasion of this release. I’m actually tempted, but that means I’d have to start all my progress over- I’m playing on Xbone. And that doesn’t sound appealing. I really wish MS had brought their Mixed Reality thing to the Xbox with the X.

Wow. This is a huge win for PSVR. Sony is killing it this generation.

Wow! That is big news. VR combined with multiplayer sounds amazing! The fact that they’re adding it into the existing game for free, not selling it as a separate “NMS VR” title or DLC…that’s huge. I don’t have a VR setup for my PC, but I’m damn tempted to buy one now given this news.

Hello Games took a ton of shit back at NMS launch, and not all of it undeserved. I myself joined in the chorus of people expressing doubt about the game ever overcoming it’s initial disappointments. Yet more than a year after launch I bought in, and LOVED it with all the changes they’d made over that time. And since then Hello Games has only continued to improve the product, always for free for existing owners. And now we’re getting true multiplayer AND virtual reality. Damn…

Hello Games hasn’t just redeemed themselves, they’ve basically set the bar for dedication by a developer to their consumers. Nice job guys, can’t wait to see what’s next from the studio.

This. So very much this.

I am looking forward to NMS in PSVR, but I feel dizzy in most VR games, so I hope this will be one I can handle. What worked well for me was Wipeout, Thumper, Polybius, Tetris. Skyrim made me dizzy, so I will see what they can do … and what controller options are supported

$24 at GMG for the next 24 hours.

The thing is, other than being a screenshot generator, I still don’t think there’s much to their gameplay loop. They’ve definitely redeemed themselves, but they haven’t necessarily managed to create a compelling game.

It isn’t that type of game. The “game play” is fine, but it is very sandbox where you need to supply your own goal. It engages me when I have a goal in mind, or when there is new content. If I can’t come up with a goal, it doesn’t engage me.

The VR is ok, of no interest to me, but will be to others. But I have a bad feeling about the on-line bit.

While the systems do feel shallow to some players I respectfully disagree.

When I first played NMS I played on survival and had a phenomenal opening experience. I started on a severely hostile frozen planet where I could not be exposed to the elements for longer than 30 seconds without my suit’s life support systems failing. That is one of THE BEST survival experiences I have ever had in gaming. Every short venture out of a cave or shelter had to be carefully considered, planned, and flawlessly executed. Everything felt so alien and surreal as I struggled moment to moment to improve my life support systems and eventually repair my ship. One of the closest experiences to STALKER that every STALKER spiritual successor has failed to grasp and execute.

I highly recommend the surival mode if one wants a more focused experience. If the RNG Gods favor you with a hostile starting planet, even better.

I agree that the addition of survival mode was good. The problem is that it has minimal impact beyond the first planet.