No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

Already did all that to be able to afford other things here that are far cheaper than VR (at least here). If you like tech (hardware, especially) and all, don’t ever move to Brazil. ;)

Not to derail the NMS thread but it’s pretty ironic. Soccer/Football is so bad in the US here, I always wished I could move to Brazil or Argentina so my kids could actually learn the game. :) What a world.

Another big one, huh. They sure take good care of their creation.

All of this is very welcome:

Explorers can enjoy longer stretches of uninterrupted mining with less frequent and less aggressive sentinels, and a reworked overheat mechanic for the Mining Beam that rewards pushing heat to the limit.

Ship controls and space combat balance have been improved.

Inventory limitations have been relaxed, allowing explorers to carry near-unlimited quantities of mined substances. The inventory UI has been revised and improved.

A large number of quality of life issues have been addressed, and new recipes and technologies have been added to alleviate grinding.

I’m wondering if you will be able to tame and then transport animals from a planet to another base somewhere else? Probably not but maybe in a further update.

Toning down the sentinels is great news. This could be a good first step to making hazards on planets more diverse and organic rather than just these machine overlords. I know there is a whole lore behind it, but it was so pervasive and seemed more like a mechanic to extend grind than anything else.

All in all, this update looks fantastic.

Ok. That is some assistance with what in my mind is the games major flaw - the grinding. As the amount of things to do in the game increases I just haven’t felt satisfied with the amount of time spent material collecting.

Oh wow - they’ve addressed pretty much everything I’ve been complaining about?? Can’t wait to get home and try it out.
I’m also tempted to get VR only for this, so very curious to hear about how that turned out!!

I don’t have VR either, but I would be interested in hearing how the VR experience works with NMS; especially with regards to alleviating nausea and such.

This update looks amazing. I am suddenly overwhelmed with games I want time with and it’s only mid-August. I have been replaying Fallout 4, need to learn AoW Planetfall, have to resume my Total War: Three Kingdoms campaign (and try out new expansion), and now this.

I’ll be checking out NMS VR tonight, hopefully, so I will try to report back.

Wow, there are a lot more changes to the overall gameplay, UI and balance than I was expecting, and it sounds like tons of new content between the 12 Travelers, new NPC missions, new multiplayer missions and redesigned existing storylines. I had expected VR and Multiplayer with a few tweaks to the base game to accommodate those, and frankly would have been very pleased with just that. Instead the entire game looks overhauled.

Can’t wait to try it out, though I do not think I will be starting over as I’ve invested 250 hours in my current game, and would rather just check out new content and maybe finally build a decent base.

I admit I’m tempted to see if I can score a PSVR/Pro rig off Craigslist for a reasonable price to try this out. It sounds so neat. But at this point I should really just hold off for the PS5/VR2 and play this on Xbone where I already have my save. Stupid me MS for giving up on VR grumblegrumble.

How is movement going to work in VR? Teleporting? Potentially nausea-inducing smooth scroll walking?

I’d say almost certainly this. I have strong VR legs and can stomach this without too many issues, but I wonder if the PSVR headset’s FoV and resolution will be a problem.

I don’t wish to seem ungrateful, but isn’t it odd that there’s a convenient asteroid field outside every space station?

Space stations are built in asteroid fields because of the easy access to building materials and fuel. They also serve as hubs for mining and prospecting operations.

/headcanon

Not a bad effort, that.

Awesome! This should be like being inside a Yes album cover when playing in VR :-)

Diego

So Steam is headlining the update, but it hasn’t actually rolled out yet…

Correction: It’s up. I had to restart Steam to get it downloading.

So, I plopped on my PSVR headset when I ran home for lunch just to check it out… And it feels awesome. The controls are very very well done (Move controllers) and the “feel” of the VR is spot on. I figred I would just check it out and shelve it a bit while playuing RG:O, but now… hmm…

The movement that I used was teleport, but I didn’t get a chance to check and see if there was a setting for it. Default is teleport.

Infinite storage space for minerals in Beyond! Now that’s a radical change.

Looks like I’m getting this.