No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

One more question and I don’t think it’s terribly spoileriffic, just something I’m a little unclear about. Every time I go to a space station, I run into several folks that want to join my base. Like a vykeen warrior that wants to, I don’t know, kill a lot of things with me? Or a gek that I guess probably wants to build more stuff? But I can never accept their offer even though I do have a couple of bases. Do I need what they’re offering, and if so what do I need to be doing differently in order to accept?

Those base NPC’s are part of a quest path in the main game. NMS likes to give you tutorials disguised as quests in your log. Outside of the Expeditions, when you build your first base computer, choose a spot and set up shop, the quest line that was guiding you through the process up to that point will tell you to go hire a Construction Overseer (the Gek NPC) for your base, and inform you that you can find him and other aliens willing to work for you (each alien has a specific task within the base) on space stations.

Since you built the base via the Expedition, and not by following the main path of the game quests/tutorials, you can’t hire those guys until you initiate “Expanding The Base” in your quest log. This is done by building a Construction Terminal inside your base. If I remember correctly, the blueprint for the Construction Terminal is granted for free as part of the game’s base building tutorial, which I’m not sure how to start if you’re playing an Expeditions save character.

Cool thanks. I probably won’t bother with all that in my expeditions save, but I’m sure I’ll try it out when I get back to my normal save.

I play this game from time to time, but generally get kind of tired of the planets looking so similar.

But a couple days ago I went through a black-hole and found a paradise planet, minimal sentries and no storms. But best of all, the planet actually seems mountainous! No rolling hills here! Big mountains with lake filled valleys below. And they also spawn these massive, flat floating rocks above the lake. I’m building my permanent base on one such rock. Super exciting.

The topography variety is pretty nice, yeah. And there can be more than one on a given planet!

Last night I warped back over to the third rendezvous system (I’d been one system over doing Explorer’s Guild quests) and landed on my freighter. I figured before taking on the black hole and uncharted systems milestones I would finally swap out my starting expedition ship for the shiny S-class I got as a reward for finding the A-class salvage ship. I started out by fixing the pulse engines and the shield on the A-class junker (damn thing was literally still on fire in the landing bay of my freighter!) then flew it over to the space station and melted it down for scrap, scoring about 2 million units and a couple of nice modules for doing so.

Then I flew my original ship back to the freighter and transferred the inventory to the freighter. I then jumped in the shiny new S-class and transferred inventory back to the ship, installed a few mods I’d purchased for this moment and flew the new ship over to the space station. I don’t want to scrap my original ship, mostly because I’d feel bad doing so, as she was a trusty little ship. At the station I accessed the upgrade drones and applied all 12 of the storage upgrade modules I’d collected thus far in Expedition 2, which pretty much maxed out my S-class in Technology and nearly in cargo as well. I moved all systems to the Technology grid to protect them from the effects of Black Holes (equipment installed in Technology slots cannot be damaged by Black Hole travel), and applied a couple of S and A class Hyperdrive modules to expand my jump distance out to 750+ LY.

From that point, it was pretty easy to summon the Anomaly (from the X menu), chat with Polo about Black Holes (lights up the path to the nearest one) and Hyperion about upgrades (to snag the Emeril and Indium drive plans for visiting Green and Blue stars) and warp over to the Black Hole system. 350,000 LY later and I was on the other side of the black hole and boom, Black Hole milestone completed. Unfortunately that system has already been charted, but I figured as much given the odds someone had jumped through that particular black hole previously. So I brought up the map and looked for systems that were not part of a larger cluster (more likely to attract explorers) and found one about 750 LY out with few neighbors around it. Warped and discovered my first uncharted system. Woot! Installed the Cadmium Drive (reward for discovering an uncharted system) and jumped to a distant Red star. Uncharted system #2 down. Jumped to a third system nearby and the Visit 3 Uncharted Systems milestone was history.

Along the way I stopped at every space station to check for upgrade modules, add suit inventory slots, sweep for nanites and offload some junk for sale. At the final station I used the stargate portal to zap myself back to the third rendezvous system (somehow your ship always goes with you) and flew back out to my freighter to stash some stuff in inventory while collecting all the rewards from the exploration quests. Next up tonight will be visiting a green and blue system and more Explorers Guild fun. I think I only have about 7 milestones left now until the Expedition One is completed.

I too have made progress, though in a much more haphazard way. I did come across someone selling a class A starship, which I bought with all this money I’ve been sitting on, and realized that then unlocked a class S ship, which seems kind of funny to me. So I did two hops up to the new class and I love it. It recharges takeoff fuel! Funny how the little things make a difference. It’s much much better in a dogfight too.

I’ve also come across a couple of new freighter rescue situations but oddly, neither has been a step up from my class B capital ship. I’m ok with that though, since I mainly just use it for storage and forget where I left it half the time. I’ve cleared three rendezvous points by now, just kind of bopping through the cosmos looking at shiny objects.

I did finally get a distress call to rescue a settlement, which I did. I knocked back the sentinel attack, then my guy muses that maybe I should just become their leader, because that’s basically what I do, just take over everything. It said to log into some settlement console, but the checkpoint it gave me for that was on some other planet. That struck me as odd, but I went along dutifully. Except at that checkpoint I found a different settlement, also asking that I save them from sentinels! Which I did because why not. I then decided I should lead this settlement instead, and got the checkpoint for a console and holy crap, it was three hours away. At that point I said you settlers can just go to hell, and I took off to look for black holes.

That’s pretty funny. The Settlement mission is supposed to stick with whatever settlement you initially find. It’s possible the Settlement mission steps were disrupted/confused by the fact that you’re in the Expeditions game mode, with other players in the lobby. Or you might have simply been seeing HUD markers for other player settlements. In any case, it absolutely doesn’t matter what the mission is telling you to do. Just pick a settlement that you like (and/or one that’s on a planet you like). Once you accept one, the Settlement mission will stop trying to steer you elsewhere.

Regarding the Honmatan OQ5 (that S class ship you received as a reward), how are you finding the weapon it comes with (the Cyclotron)? It’s the one ship weapon I’ve never really spent time trying to master. Supposedly it’s pretty great once you get the hang of it.

Oh, just a friendly reminder: the current Expedition (Pioneers) ends Dec. 7 @ 2pm UTC (4 days, 16 hours, 23 min from now). Might want to make sure the more time-consuming milestones are done soon (namely complete fleet expeditions, earn Explorers Guild standing, discover star systems, chart waypoints, plant/harvest plants).

If you miss the deadline you can still add the rewards to your save with this save game editor.

Nice. I’ve gotta fire this up again sometime. Played it like crazy for a while a few years back, but just got tired of the grind for materials+base building. I’m more into the exploration aspect.

Finished Expedition One on Saturday!

The big claimable reward is a new S-Class ship, the Golden Vector. I claimed it on my main save, but forgot to take a pic, so here’s one of the reward being bestowed while I was landed in an abandoned space station. The “find an uncharted abandoned system” was probably the most time consuming of the Expedition tasks except perhaps for the 16 Explorer’s Guild missions. I had to find and jump through a black hole, then warp several thousand LY out from the Black Hole system to find an abandoned system that wasn’t already discovered.

When I stopped by The Anomaly to chat with Polo about black holes (while looking for an abandoned system) it was a little obvious that everyone there with me was on Expedition One.

In the end though, it’s not about the claimable rewards from the Expeditions, but the friends we made along the way!

Expedition Two starts Wednesday!

I didn’t finish, I has a sad.

I don’t think it is supposed to end until tomorrow? All the websites say Nov. 24th - Dec 7th for Expedition One. How much did you have left to do?

The toughest ones, I guess - like finding the undiscovered systems, finding a green and blue star (started in a red system, so I guess I got lucky with that one), finding a derelict freigter, finding an abandoned system. Maybe a couple others, but I’ve been trying for those for a while now.

Maybe I can help.

• Derelict Freighter : One of the rewards from one of the other tasks is an Emergency Broadcast Receiver. You can also get one of these for FREE from Iteration Helios on the Anomaly or buy one from the scrap dealer on any space station for 5mil units. Launch into space and use the receiver, then point yourself towards a distant planet and enter Pulse drive. Within a few seconds the receiver will alert to a signal. Drop out of Pulse and a derelict freighter will appear. It has a landing pad to land on, and from there you can explore the mystery. Bring along some protection from extreme cold though, as it’s chilly inside those things!

• Green & Blue stars : Summon the Anomaly (X menu). Once you’ve landed inside, go find Iteration Hyperion in the circular room with all the Iterations that sell blueprints and upgrades. He sells starship tech blueprints for nanites. Purchase blueprints for the Emeril Drive (green) and the Indium Drive (blue). Also snag the Economy Scanner as well (you’ll see why shortly). Build and install these on your ship. You can now travel to green and blue stars. Locate them by color on the space map, but read on first.

• Black Holes and Undiscovered + Abandoned Systems : While you’re in the Anomaly collecting the colored warp drives, economy scanner and the free EB Receiver, chat with Polo and ask about Black Holes. He will light up a route on your space map to the nearest one. Head to and through it. When you emerge on the other side, start looking for what you need. Green and Blue stars will be plentiful if you still need those, but the Undiscovered and Abandoned Systems are going to be tougher to get. Remember that economy scanner I told you to snag from Hyperion? It tells you on the space map about the economy of every system. Start scrolling around the space map looking for normal (yellow) systems with an alien race (Gek, Vy’keen or Korvax) present but where the economy percentages say “no data available” instead of the usual buy/sell percentage data. These are abandoned systems! Warp to one and if it is as yet undiscovered, mission accomplished (and it’ll count as one of your 3 Undiscovered Systems too!). Note that I had to warp out a couple thousand LY from the black hole to find an uncharted abandoned system, so maybe try getting pretty far away before starting your search. On the plus side, that far off the path most other systems will be undiscovered too, so you’ll knock out that milestone pretty quick. When you’re all done discovering everything for these milestones, head to any space station and take the portal back to a station you visited prior to the Black Hole. Now you’re back on the Expedition path.

• Explorer’s Guild : Find a Korvax system. The Korvax mission agents always seem to have easy (scan stuff) Explorer’s Guild missions. Take on a 'Scan Minerals" or “Scan Flora” type mission that rewards Explorer’s Guild reputation. The target plaent/area will always be on warp jump away in an adjacent system. Fly there, scan the required targets, and fly up to the space station in the new system to hand in the mission. Check there for another easy EXplorer’s Guild mission, or if they don’t have one (Vy’Keen systems often don’t, or they have one that is “Kill 14 creatures” which can be time consuming) warp back to the original system and look there again.

I appreciate the tips, I’ll see what I can get done later this evening. To be honest, this being my first real effort at playing the game, I wasn’t expecting I’d get through the entire expedition - and my main goal was getting a Normandy to play with, which I believe is the next expedition. So I’ll be slightly bummed if I don’t get it done but not seriously bummed.

Expedition 2: Beachhead (Redux) launched this morning and ends December 21 (2pm UTC) in 1 week 5 days 12 hours.

Edit: This is the shortest/easiest expedition, but if you plan to play at some point, go ahead and start a new Expeditions save now, or at least 24 hours before the end time. The fastest completion time I’ve seen so far is about an hour.

Milestones:

An hour?! Where’s the fun in that?!

Started Expedition Two last night and yes, it does seem to be the easiest and shortest of the four expeditions. I played for 90 minutes and while I didn’t finish it (LOL) I did complete all of the Phase 1 tasks except for warping to the first rendezvous point and a couple of Phase 2/3 tasks as well just in the course of getting started. I spent extra time collecting resources on my starting planet (including Activated Cadmium to sell for a quick cash infusion) and ran a couple of Gek missions to earn nanites for upgrades.

A quick scan of the milestones for this expedition shows only one that might be somewhat time consuming (Another “Discover 4 Systems” milestone, but a black hole and 1000LY warp away from it will likely produce those results fast enough) and interestingly enough the final set of milestones are “encrypted”, meaning we don’t get to see what they are until we accomplish the phases ahead of them. Cool stuff!

Pro Tip : Take the time to read through all of the Expedition milestones in every phase in your log before leaving the first planet. There are A LOT of them which can be accomplished in your starting system, and several more that can easily be picked up as you warp along the path to Rendezvous 1 and Rendezvous 2 if you take a moment to look around in each system you pass through.

Also, after nearly 400 hours of play in NMS, I was yesterday days old when I warped for the first time inside my freighter. In all the times I’ve used the freighter bridge to start frigate missions, unlock freighter tech and upgrade my freighter, I never even looked to the right to see the navigation station where you can bring up the map and warp your freighter (including yourself and all of your collected starships) around the universe. I always just warped wherever using my ship, then summoned my freighter when I got there.

Expedition 2 completed! Pretty short one and probably my least faviourite. But the Normandy is a sweet reward.
The most boring part was getting enough Quicksilver to buy one item needed for a late milestone.