No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

No, how do I do that? Is there a turret weapon I need to get somehow? Is it an upgrade to something?

No forward momentum. Just turn your ship like a turret. Don’t try to match the pirate maneuvers, just shoot them as they fly by.

Ah, I see. Just make your ship a stationary gun platform. I’ll try that. Doesn’t that make you really vulnerable to them taking your shields out within seconds, though?

Yeah, there are tradeoffs.

I’ve only had a shuttle and an explorer so far but turret seems to be the way to go. The space combat will hopefully get a big update in the future. The explosions and freighters are quite well done i think. Homing missiles would be nice. The starter ship had fire and forget rockets which were also quite fun.

With a console controller at least, turretting is actually worse, because when a ship isn’t moving it seems to have even worse responsiveness. If you’re accelerating, it seems to be smoother controls.

Generally, there are a few things you can do.

One, just kind of “joust” with ships. Fly at them, shoot for a few seconds on their way in, turn to face them once they pass, repeat.

Another thing which can be helpful, is to fly down into low atmosphere. It slows everything down a lot, and potentially makes it easier.

Very early on with my starting weapons I can kill the kind of pirates that get greedy because I’m carrying some precious thaumium on board or whatever, though I do have to upgrade my shield because at first it’s very flimsy. The tougher pirates require upgrades. My only technique is following the arrow. They get a couple of passes before I can line up on them moving more or less away for a few seconds.

Weird. Because I’m having the same problem as coldsteel. I can fire at the pirate once as they go by, but that’s it. Then they’re on my 6 blasting my shields and I can’t turn fast enough to face them again.

Just finished an Artemis quest that had me hopping between nasty planets trying to find goodies unique to those types of planets. I have found myself in love with this game, but I was having sweaty flashbacks of trying to find McGuffins for Professor Palin.

I think Hello Games realizes this, because a mysterious communication right before this particularly quest chain straight-out tells you “there is plenty of time”. It’s definitely a good thing in NMS to just settle the hell down every once in a while and simply smell the roses. I am, for example, supremely pleased with the (new) grass meadows in NMS. Or massive cretinous creatures propelled by a little tiny pair of butterfly wings.

Yeah, I have to constantly keep telling myself to just relax and not worry about chasing the next upgrade to my exosuit or that fancy S class ship or multi-tool. More than anything else this game is about the journey and not the destination.

I haven’t mastered PS4 screenshots, evidently. This is taken from a small planet (that has a moon) in the same system as the mongo planet you see in the pic. The mongo planet was my starting planet and is covered with all kinds of structures, bases, facilities, drop zones, etc. very interesting place to start a new game.

Patch 1.33 is out now.

Patch Notes

But nothing about making scans actually do something useful again? Sigh.

Yeah shame that, I shall load it up and see if it is the same/.

Yep must be a tough nut to crack! :(

Annoying but hasn’t slowed me down too much.

They must have done something because I’m seeing a ton of nearby question marks and before this release I didn’t.

For some reason my patch download connection is glacially slow today. But I certainly hope my ?s are back.

So, during the loading screen, zooming through the star field, there are occasionally stars with names that you zoom by. Are those stars that have been explored and uploaded by other players? If so, that’s a pretty cool little added touch.

I started my first game ever (Survival) about a week ago on a brutal frozen planet. I was struggling immensely as the resource distribution and points of interest were making traversal extremely difficult. I kept dying over and over despite trying new techniques and tactics. I eventually got fed up and deleted my saves to reroll a new starting planet. Deleting my initial saves actually was a sad moment since I had grown somewhat fond of my first planet despite the difficulties.

My new starting planet was the polar opposite and introduced brutal heat along with some radiation and toxicity. Despite that I was able to transfer the skills I had learned in my previous game to here along with some aspects like building save points and signal boosters that I completely missed on my first go around. My newer planet also has an extensive subterranean cave system that allows me to travel long distances on the planet being shielded by the extremes of the atmosphere. I haven’t made it to my ship yet but I have made a healthy amount of progress otherwise.

I am really enjoying the beginning of the Survival game. It’s not as atmospheric or fleshed out as something like STALKER but it leaves a similar and compelling impression. I set out in random directions amongst a very hostile environment and hope I can find some structures, caves, or resources to keep me alive long enough to achieve my next objective. This is exploration at its purest with lots of serendipity, neat surprises, and obstacles to overcome against the gorgeous backgrounds of 70’s Sci-Fi book covers.

The fauna leave a bit to be desired and haven’t added much to the experience. The vistas, alien technology, and aural design make up for that though.

Regarding the post-processing visual effect you can choose in the menus has anyone settled on a different one than the default option?