No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

Nice! How does it work with teleports? Can you teleport back to it like a base? I’m guessing it doesn’t get teleported itself when you return to a distant system?

No, you can’t teleport back to it. You just call it to wherever you are by using the X menu. So, for example, you can teleport to a space station in any system, take off, call the freighter next to you and land on it. If you port back to your base (as I did after buying it), you can go outside and see it hanging in the sky above. So, just call it to wherever you are.

Also, if you’re inside your freighter, you can use it to make jumps to other systems much further away than your ship can jump. There’s a star-map control you can use for that in the bridge room.

I really wish we could access the star map anywhere, not just in space.

So I haven’t been just randomly dicking around but following the Artemis/Apollo quest line because it’s hardly gated at all, and seemed reasonably easy to pursue. Now I’ve hit the 16 quest and it’s like all my interest in playing on has suddenly vanished. Of course I knew the key reveal long before because it was so obvious. But it’s like the devs come right out and tell you “you’ve been wasting your time on this game you big idiot” which while true of most any game, seems to me to be a rather bold stripping away of the veil, and not one that is very pleasing at all.

I’m still in the honeymoon phase of NMS where most of my focus is on jumping from world to world to see what procedural landscapes they offer as well as mining for spacebucks to pay for multi-tool and exosuit upgrades. NMS has held my attention much longer than Subnautica has which, is not a bad game, but for me space exploration is far more interesting than deep sea diving.

The free floating camera is such a cool feature it’s turned me into a screenshot junkie.

Perhaps the biggest gripe I have is not being able to:

• open the galaxy map wherever I like

• not being able to place custom waypoints on planets:

For instance, I found a space trading terminal located next to a huge deposit of Emeril which allowed me to quickly repair several slots on my hauler and multi- tool. I would like to come back and mine the same spot again but without a waypoint it would be next to impossible to find again especially on a huge planet.

• no planetary maps: Starflight had this over 30 years ago

Question: is it worth spending spacebucks to repair all of the slots on my new hauler? I noticed the price jumps with each repair and to repair the reaming ones will easily cost over 1 million bucks. I really don’t know how long I’ll be with my current hauler and to get something bigger and better is currently out of my price range.

It’s a choice thing, like buying something on credit or buying it outright. Repair that busted up hauler now, and make “payments” to bring its slots back to life. Or save up and buy a fully-functioning hauler.

As was stated above, NMS is the poster-child of “journey, not destination” games.

That blue exotic S class fighter I posted a pic of above showed at my base again a few days ago so I knew it was hanging around. Now that I had a freighter and could own up to 6 ships, I was determined to find it again and possess it for myself.

I bought a cheap fighter and went looking for it at the space port near my base. It took a whole lot of waiting but it finally showed up and I grabbed it. It only cost 7 million on the trade-in. It has 19 slots and no tech slots but I don’t care. I still have my hauler for that stuff. The bonuses are kind of insane on it. All over +40%. I’ll post a pic later of the stats.

The below is an exotic with a somewhat different configuration for the nose but this is what the wings and landing gear do for mine on takeoff and the flying configuration of the wing. Pretty cool. This is just the kind of stuff I enjoy in games. The hunt for rare stuff.

You can build a beacon, can’t you?

You can - that’s what the beacons are for. I think they cost a Voltaic cell and some carite sheets to build; so marrow and iron.

Question: is it worth spending spacebucks to repair all of the slots on my new hauler? I noticed the price jumps with each repair and to repair the reaming ones will easily cost over 1 million bucks.

I repair mine as I need them. I’d be wary of spending a million in one hit, unless I was as rich as @Coldsteel. :)

The same on s used to find drip pods, monoliths, habitable bases, and resource deposits? I tried using one as a waypoint but it doesn’t show up on the ship radar and nor does it it appear on the compass

Edit. Ahhh I was trying to use a signal booster no wonder I couldn’t use it as a waypoint plus I don’t have a blueprint for it. I’m a dumbass.

No, that’s a Signal Amplifier. Completely different. You need to build the Beacon. You get the blueprint from doing the base missions. It will leave a “star” waypoint on your HUD. You can change the color for each thing you want to mark the location of.

I too was once poor and destitute. Until I discovered the wonders of farming. Seriously, the hardest part of farming is getting all the needed materials and plants. For the plants, once you get some at all, then just plant, harvest and plant what you harvest. You don’t need to farm up a bunch of plants if you do it that way. You do have to defer profits for a while.

Pretty sure this wouldn’t be a technical thing, more a design or maybe manpower thing. It would be a stack of work to implement the UI etc for not a lot of benefit, when they could be doing cool new stuff.

Don’t forget Starflight has 1000 planets, NMS has 18 quinitillion much larger ones… and the original design wanted you exploring them, not sticking around. Which is also why they opted for single biome per planet.

Not sure what you’d want from a planet map anyway, that you don’t already have? You couldn’t reasonably expect ‘fog of war’ on the landscape to be stored for 18 quintillion planets, so it would just show the entire terrain with all the landmarks/waypoints you’ve found? Why do you really want to revisit those anyway? For important things, drop a beacon.

You can also tag structures with the Visor if you’re staying on the one planet for a while and want to find something again, though these aren’t persistent.

I got very lucky last night and found both the economy scanner and conflict scanner ship upgrades in consecutive Gek systems I visited. I really don’t have the slots to put them in my new exotic ship so I installed them on my hauler instead. Fortunately, if you have them installed in one of your ships then the extra information is automatically also shown on your freighter’s star map too. So, I can hang out there on the bridge when I’m planning which systems to visit next.

I also got the tau pulse drive upgrade from a mission board reward in the second system. That’s really handy for my hauler because of the extra maneuverability. And, when I was doing that mission, I found an A class experimental multi-tool with 23 slots at a trading post on the desolate world where I was killing stuff for the bounty. Talk about having a bunch of good luck all at once.

I’m still playing daily and very much enjoying the game. I’m just taking my time and doing whatever I feel like doing at the moment.

I’m doing the same. I am treating this like a slow burn game where I explore a little bit every few nights. I’m in no rush to reach a defined goal but I am just enjoying the pure discovery and exploration. I can see this game lasting a long time for me.

Looks like a new update is just out in the experimental beta branch. A whole lot of nice QoL changes in this one and some much needed fixes. Plus, it appears I can finally look around my ship’s cockpit.

Changes currently live (08/09/2017)

In this patch, we’ve changed the way PC mouse and keyboard ship controls work in line with player feedback.

These changes move ship controls to be cursor based, meaning you’ll be able to direct your ship easily using your mouse, rather than using the WASD keys. PC mouse and keyboard players will also be able to look around their cockpit using the mouse while holding the ALT key.

In testing, these changes improve space flight and combat, however it may take some adjustment time for existing mouse and keyboard players.

Tweaks & changes
• Allowed economy Scanner to be used from the Quick Menu to locate an outpost
• Improved prices trade outposts offer for trade goods
• Added ability to hold backspace to delete text in text entry fields
• Improved pagination of tech and product build windows
• Improved pricing of freighters and freighter trade-in values
• Added economy information to the galactic map for systems the player has already visited
• Added a quick menu option to scan for outposts using an economy scanner
• Increased tech fragment rewards for tech debris
• Added a penalty to standing for killing civilian ships
• Updated and improved terrain editing effects
• Changed farmer missions to count plants grown anywhere towards requirements, including outside of player bases
• Improved rewards given from factory and harvester buildings to avoid awarding known recipes
• Improved fog and weather effects in low flight mode
• Reduced FPS when the game is not in focus
• Added categories to the item transfer window
• Added a new send window to aid in transferring items
• Improved planet temperature ranges
• Improved storms on lush planets
• Improved price comparison text on the ship purchase screen
• Added “Upload All” button on the discovery page
• Improved trade product pricing
• Improved price modifiers for different economy types

Bug Fixes
• Restored missing Atlas Seed blueprints to affected players
• Fixed an issue that caused players to skip certain Atlas Stations
• Reduced chance of multiple missions sending you to the same destination
• Fixed landing of S-class ships
• Fixed an issue in displaying temperature modifiers on hot planets
• Fixed an issue with a particular Factory Raid mission which would prevent completion
• Prevented failed timed missions remaining on the mission board indefinitely
• Fixed issue where certain missions would incorrectly show markers in the galactic map
• Fixed issue where planets on a player’s freighter would break whenever the freighter was moved
• Fixed an exploit with teleporting between systems to trade
• Prevented gas harvesters being constructed on planets with no atmosphere to harvest
• Fixed number visibility when moving inventory items
• Fixed an issue where player could not build item stacks in creative mode
• Fixed issue where the economy description on the galactic map had untranslated text
• Fixed issue where units would function incorrectly for players with more than the maximum amount
• Fixed issues where maintenance components would require different repairs after rebooting the game
• Fixed an issue where delivery missions were occasionally failing to register as complete
• Prevented bounty missions failing if you choose not to attempt them immediately
• Prevented terrain editing effects showing while you are in your vehicle

The experimental version can be accessed using this access code: 3xperimental

Are those simply rare and hard to find items? Been looking forever for the economy scanner but no luck so far.

That patch looks great.

Holy crap!

Finally! This game is just getting better and better.

Hell yeah! Also intested in:

Restored missing Atlas Seed blueprints to affected players
Fixed an issue that caused players to skip certain Atlas Stations
Fixed issue where certain missions would incorrectly show markers in the galactic map

as these were all affecting me. And:

Added a new send window to aid in transferring items

Excellent, as transferring to suit high capacity slots was a bit of a pain (the quick change hotkeys didn’t work when transferring) and this helps.

They can be. It’s how bad or good the RNG is to you. Some folks find them right away, others struggle. It sure took me a while, that’s for sure.

I still haven’t found a plasma launcher. I have a ton of the upgrades for it but not the actual launcher blueprint itself. I guess I’ll be visiting a lot of Vy’keen stations next.

Man, it sure was.