No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

Let me add this too:

I love Subnautica. But when some terrifying monster destroyed my sub, I didn’t feel like doing the work to recover/rebuild it. I haven’t gone back since.

In NMS I’ve lost several fights, and getting my shit back is just a couple seconds of traveling back, and then I’m good to go.

I’m not saying NMS’ way is better. Some people like the sense of danger and potential loss such as in Subnautica. I’m just merely pointing out this as a big difference between these 2.

I have a 1050Ti 4GB and it runs good at 1920x1200. Then again, it ran just fine on my old GTX 670 too. The initial load of the game that loads all the shaders up into the shader cache file runs slow but it loads quickly after that first time.

Cool, thanks guys.

Yeah, it’s that exploration of the unknown that I was talking about. Subnautica (on the Xbox, so I’m waiting for ‘final’ release, but I’ve played through the first 2/3 or so) was probably the best exploration-focused game I’ve played. And sure, that was tempered with sheer terror at times (you have to have something more than just explain, after all), but really, every zone I went to eventually became fairly ‘chill’. You’d figure out how the fauna there worked, and be able to exploit that.

Anyway, thanks x

VR support is strongly hinted at. This game on the Rift would be amazing!

Nevermind this W/ARE logo looks like “VR”, it also seems to be part of the Waking Titan AR thing they’re still doing:
http://www.ware-tech.cloud/

There was also a now-deleted pic of SM’s phone which displayed 6d, 6f, 72, 70, 68, 65, 75, 73, hex for the letters ‘Morpheus’ (the PSVR’s working name).

Haven’t followed NMS news in a while. Has it been revealed what those cards sent in the mail are for?

So for this new content what do you all thing they’re adding?

I don’t follow the ARG but I’m fairly sure people are still receiving them, and they have no use yet.

• Big variety pack - more terrains, flora, fauna
  • Better fauna AI behaviours
  • More weather
  • Improved LoD/terrain draw distance on PC
  • VR support

Ok, so those are things I’m hoping for. ;)
In reality, I think it may have a heavy multiplayer focus unfortunately.

I’d like to see the fauna act like they did in some of the preview videos.

Yeah, I subscribe to the fear it’s a multi-player enhancement. Still, better fauna would sure be nice and I’d hope wouldn’t be too much of an ask.

I’d also like more story stuff and more stuff to outfit your ship/base. And more enemies and better combat.
Unfortunately as was mentioned above, I’m afraid it might just be VR and multiplayer stuff, both of which do nothing for me :(

Same here, but I do like where the game is at now so I cannot begrudge them if they go that route.

There was that bit about being able to go out of your ship in outer space and explore space wrecks that’s been talked about for a long time. I think there were some images of cut content related to that.

That would be nice.

You mean there’s actually stuff to find in NMS now?

I’m seriously asking.

Yes, there is, and there was since the original release. Of course, recent updates improved the way you use/find materials and expanded on how you would use those materials (for instance, with the ability to build bases and vehicles now). There’s plenty to find and do in the game now, at least for me. YMMV.

Endless language pillars aren’t what I mean. I mean something actually interesting that rewards you for exploring.

Strange, alien vistas that look like amazing pulp sci-fi covers. Ship derelicts. Rare materials (some of which can only be harvested by using the new land vehicles). Strange wildlife. Abandoned bases (some of which you can make your own). Aliens with skills that you can hire for your base. New equipment and upgrades. Language pillars.

There’s plenty to find. Plenty of people will find any number of those things rewarding. Some won’t. I don’t know what you find rewarding. Speaking of myself, NMS had me on the “amazing pulp sci-fi covers brought to life” part already, because those are interesting enough for me to want to explore. It doesn’t seem to be your case, though. So, as I said, YMMV.

The ARG is still going on, and it’s as complicated and impenetrable as always.

Now it’s something about a company that makes VR Goggles to play in your dreams. There seemed to be two prizes of 1 000 $ up for grabs, and whatever the dev kit for those goggles is supposed to be:

http://ware-tech.cloud/

Maybe the game is going to be VR compatible now? Seems likely.

Any more info about that big update?