No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

The station teleport only works w/in a galaxy. I think the only way to get back would be if I had a ‘star gate’ or ‘portal’ address and the glyphs necessary. I think I’m up to 10 or 11 out of 16 glyphs now.

So I think I’m just going to take the opportunity to keep on keeping on. Timing was good; I had placed all my important stuff in the new roomy hauler so I don’t need to look back for anything really.

Back in the game now that I’m back from vacation. Picked up where I left off, trying to get a farming operation up and running at my base. Had to jump several systems away to find the nearest “Scorched” planet for Solanium to give to the Overseer. That led to a couple of new space stations, which meant new missions, which meant new planets to explore, and the system with the Scorched planet has an Anomaly as well, so I’m crossing my fingers that I’ll get a nice blueprint or maybe even an Atlas Pass v.2 when I visit it.

In the meantime, I have been restocking my common resources and gathering so many new exotic resources that I needed to build another storage unit back at the base. I have four now, and the new one is already full again. I also need to find a Gek system so I can recruit a farmer. Some more inventory slots in my Exosuit would be nice as well, and it’s probably time to start thinking about raising a few million more units to purchase or repair a better ship for myself. I was hoping farming would help with that. So much to do!

So at the Anomaly I received the blueprint for the Exosuit upgrade to let me stay underwater for extended periods of time. Not as nice as an Atlas Pass v.2, but not bad either.

Recruited the Gek for farming and completed the circuit board for the Overseer. Now the Overseer wants me to build a trade terminal in my base, which is cool, but holy shit is it going to cost me a lot in resources. 5 Circuit Boards and 5 Voltaic Cells. That’s 1000 Star Bulbs, 500 Cactus Flesh, 1000 Solanium, 500 Frost Crystals and 250 Marrow Bulbs. Ouch.

Of course I could farm some of that stuff, and my Farmer now wants me to get started on such a project by growing my own Coprite (fertilizer). Of course to grow it, I need some, so I jetted off to another planet with docile miniature T-Rexes and started feeding them. They all got so happy and ran around excitedly, then would run up and bow to me like they wanted to be petted. Adorable. Then they began pooping everywhere. Not so adorable, but at least I have a couple hundred Coprite now.

My bank account is steadily growing, I’m at 7mil units banked now, with a ship worth another 2.8mil. Problem is, the only ships I’ve seen that are significant upgrades to mine are priced in the 15mil+ range, so I need to keep earning. I may have the same problem with my multi-tool, as the Class A pistol I have (8 slots) has such nice bonuses to mining that I haven’t been able to find anything that exceeds it. I really want a rifle for the extra slots, but I don’t want to give up the nearly 60% boost in mining my current tool has. Wish I could find a Class B or better rifle somewhere…

I’ve made zero progress on moving towards the center of the universe, instead content to zip around nearby systems exploring, building and improving. I still don’t have a terrain manipulator, so have yet to uncover the mysteries (and loot) of any crashed freighters. I still have a ton of work to do to get a farming operation up and running, which I gather is the easier path to the kind of riches I will need for the really good ships and a freighter of my own. Still haven’t built a vehicle bay either, or played with Exocraft at all. 40 hours play time on this game, and still so many things to do and see!!

Pretty awesome hey. And don’t forget ‘survival mode’. And then in a few weeks there’ll (hopefully) be a bunch of new stuff to check out too!

And then you’ll face the perennial decision on whether to start a new game or not… ;)

I booted this game up again, it really is a good time, well worth the price of entry.

That said…

Dammit what a truly terrible UI & control system, in particular inventory management but across the board that “wait for a circle to fill up before I register a click” nonsense really is irritating. I kinda wish they had focused on fixing their GUI flows first rather than multiplayer.

Don’t know what platform you’re playing on but I gather that there is a mod that fixes that nonsense you describe.

Ha! I’ve been playing so much lately that the other night when I was really tired I actually left-clicked and held on a Windows app icon waiting for the circle to fill so the application would load.

I’ve pushed both the Artemis and Atlas quests along a bit, and have reached the point in my base building where I have several hydroponics tables growing several plants and am expected to start building an exocraft and other large base improvements. The Artemis and Atlas quests have taken me closer to the Core though, and it’s kind of a pain in the ass to space station port back to my base for dropping off stuff and doing the improvements, plus I would really like to start doing some large scale farming at my base as well, so I’m thinking it might be time to jump a couple more systems closer to the core and set up shop on a new world, preferably one without any sort of environmental penalty (heat/cold/radiation/etc). I’ve seen some pretty amazing looking bases on Youtube and other places, and I’m eager to take a crack at something similar myself.

oooh! I will look into it thanks, yeah I am on PC.

@SlainteMhath lol , yeah its a weird thing.
I pretty passed on the quests after I got my Atlas pass wor whetever its called., I am just enjoying chillin and exploring now. Which would be a lot easier if the galaxy map didnt also have a very strange GUI methodology.

but ending on a positive note just warping into a new system then going to check out the worlds really is great.

Looking forward to this release on the Xbox later in the month. Has there been any news about what’s actually in the new expansion?

Beyond some scant details on the new multiplayer functionality, not really.

There was an audio file released which seemed to indicate new creature sounds, so hopefully a big fauna update… :)

There are rumours of an imminent trailer though, which if true may shed some light.

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1016470306213335042

No guarantees they’ll actually show anything new, but there’s a chance!

Inside Xbox is usually used to show new things, so since No Man’s Sky is a highlight, I do expect we’ll see new stuff there.

They didn’t show anything new. :)

well.

oops.

I still can’t dogfight for shit in this game. If I get into it with more than one ship, or just one ship that is a 3 star, I get my ass handed to me even after upgrading my weapons and my shields. It would probably help if I switched to a different ship, the little 23-slot B-class explorer I’m flying is not really suited to combat. Although when I do switch, it will be to an A or S class hauler with a lot more cargo room, so probably not suited for combat either. At least if I can find one with more technology slots I can build out more complex and powerful weapons and shields.

Most of the past couple of nights have been devoted to progressing further into the Artemis/Travelers storyline and restocking after building/repairing things. I added the Terrain Manipulator to my multi-tool and have now looted three crashed freighters. I’ve decided it’s a total waste of time. The time and resources you use up digging holes in the ground, uncovering the storage lockers, then repairing them so you can get them open, totally is not worth the 150 or so nanites and 100K units in total you get as your reward.

I’ve discovered a few more systems, but so far nothing really prosperous where I’d be likely to run into aliens flying A-class or S-class ships (or maybe get lucky and find a crashed one). I need to get a small farming operation up and running so I can earn several million more units for the day I do run across such a ship, or an A/S class rifle with a bunch of slots.

So I was really turned off by this game at release. I won’t go into all the reasons, they were pretty well-documented by people in this thread so no need to rehash it.

The talk of a multiplayer update has piqued my interest in the game again, as I’m always on a lookout for a space game I can play with my nephew. Is there a list of bullet points covering the major features/changes since 1.0?

There probably is a neat bullet point list of all the added features somewhere.

Alternatively, they released a video yesterday showing 11 things that changed since launch:

There’s also a page summarising each of the major updates:

Timely video! Thanks for that, I’ll take a peek once I’m home from the office.

Bitch and ye shall receive! Less than a day after grousing about not being able to find a decent A or S class multi-tool, I stopped at a random outpost on a planet to sell stuff from my full inventory and therein discovered a beautiful A-class rifle with 24 pristine tech slots and large damage bonus for about 2.5 mil units, or around 2 mil after trade in of my A-class pistol. It’s magnificent, all 24 slots arrayed in three neat rows of eight, making configuration for maximum bonuses a breeze. I broke down all the enhancements on my pistol before trade-in, then rebuilt those plus half a dozen more I’d learned but not had the space to implement previously. My new rifle is perfect, mining, killing and scanning at an efficiency far beyond anything I’d experienced with the pistol.

I also finished all the little Gek farmer’s quests at my base, and now have a base overrun with hydroponic planters in literally every available corner. On the bright side, every hour or so I can pop in and easily collect rare resources, but on the flip side it highlights just how much I need a new base in a new system so I can lay out rooms specifically for farming (probably do glass bio domes around a central structure). I also don’t really want to build the Exocraft Bay (the Overseer’s current project) until I move to a planet where an Exocraft would be far more useful.

On a weird and annoying note, I took a Merchant’s Guild quest to deliver some goods, however the system where the goods are supposed to be delivered does not seem to be selectable on the galaxy map. I can see the icon for the quest, but I can’t get the cursor to fall there so I can zoom in to the system and warp. I tried warping to a system nearby on the map, but then when I look at the map form that system the icon no longer appears! I’m thinking it’s either way too far away, or bugged. I may just abandon the quest at the next space station.

Some of the quests do appear to be messed up. There’s a missing person type where you find a guy to bribe at a trade base, the quest advances, but you’re not told where the missing person actually is. Much easier to just hunt predators… At the moment for the artemis series I’m supposed to return to the weapon officer, but I’ve finished his quest series already. When I get back my only choice is to leave or bow to him and leave. Fortunately it doesn’t block the rest of the quests.