No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

I had that happen to me as well with both the Scientist and Weapon Officer. I found that if I walked away, changed the active quest to something else, then changed it back to the quest for that NPC, about 5 seconds later the quest would update with “Return to NPC” and the quest dialog options would then appear when I clicked on him.

I abandoned the delivery quest. I think it may have given me a destination that was so far away it wasn’t even selectable on the star charts. I took a hit with the Merchant’s Guild, which is easily fixable with another mission, and on the bright side I sold the stuff I was supposed to deliver for around 70K units. =)

SM -

Re: dogfighting; I’ve found that the best defense is a good offense. I’ve upgraded my laser beam apparatus and I’m pretty deadly now. Not being maneuverable I do what someone upthread suggested and mostly remain stationary and just turn, aim and shoot. Also, if it needs to be said, always have lots of yellow isotopes and keep your shields up in between strafing runs by the pirates.

Re: units; check for things you can craft out of recipes you know; are there any which will net 500,000 or 1M units? And do you know how to find/grow/craft all of the things needed to complete them? If so I’d suggest you do the math and grow what you can grow in the proportionate amounts and come up with a farming routine which will net you a few easy million each cycle.

There are also occasionally some missions whose rewards are worth millions. Hard to know which are which, however, until you’ve taken a bunch, as the obscure techno-doohickeys all sound pretty much the same. Predator missions are worth at least 200,000 units apiece, however, so if you find a planet with a convenient abundance of predators you can pick up 3 or 4 such missions at various hubs and then clear them all up by killing a couple of bugs…

Cool, thanks for the advice guys! I definitely want to do a farming setup, but probably not until I move my base to a more farming friendly planet (which is hopefully soon). I also noticed that, as you say, some missions at the mission broker are worth rewards in the low 6 digits, which is nice. I still make far more mining Emeril and Gold though. I also need to find a decent trade route once my base is relocated, as you can make some decent money running a three system route if you find some systems with high level economies.

Over the weekend I mostly finished the Artemis quest line.

I am now at the point where I know the universe is a simulation and the Atlas is shutting down. I’m supposed to find the core and do something to abort the shutdown. This now parallels where I am on the Atlas Path quest, which is pretty much find the core by following the path through the Atlas stations.

So for now I need to restock a bit, build a couple of the upgrades I just received blueprints for, and then start following the Atlas Path and hope I stumble onto a really nice system/planet/economy so I can relocate my base and start farming and trading.

I could be wrong, but I think going to the core and following the atlas path are distinct choices that don’t lead to the same place.

Countdown to the final element of the ARG is happening, just under 9.5 hours remaining:

https://m.twitch.tv/wakingtitan

What will it be? Possibly a trailer with details on NEXT? ;)

Third-person view
Multiplayer co-op or vs
Revamp graphics

Works for me. I’ll see you there (if you’re a member of the glorious PCMR)

Same here. Left click and hold? Who the hell does that?

Huh, how does that stuff work? Is it just open PvP, or do you have to choose to see other players, or what?

Wow!
Improved graphics.
3rd Person View.
Expanded Base Building including multiplayer colonies.
The option to construct your own fleet of ships (frigates) to command from your freighter’s bridge and send out to explore the universe.

One thing that worries me though : “You can help friends to stay alive, or prey on others to survive.”

This game could be ruined very quickly by griefing douchebags who live to ruin other people’s fun.

That said, I would love to team up with other QT3 players and start over, exploring the universe and building stuff as a team.

I honestly like the idea of an open PvP universe.

I mean, the game is so immense, that there’s plenty of room for everyone. And it opens the idea of communities policing themselves.

Here’s the full list of ‘a few things you might notice from the trailer’, from the NMS site:

Multiplayer

• Team up a small team of friends and explore the universe together, or be joined by random travelers.
  • You can help friends to stay alive, or prey on others to survive.
  • Tiny shelters or complex colonies that you build as a team are shared for all players.
  • Fight as a pirate or a wingman in epic space battles with friends and enemies.
  • Race exocraft across weird alien terrains, creating race tracks and trails to share online.
  • Character customisation allows you to personalise your appearance.

Visual Overhaul

• The game is fully playable in third or first person, both on-foot and in ship.
  • Planetary rings and improved space visuals make space more beautiful than ever.
  • Dramatically improved planetary terrain generation, ground textures, water and clouds bring the environment to life.
  • Significantly more detail added to ships, NPCs and buildings.

Unlimited Base Building

• Bases can now be built anywhere on any planet.
  • Dramatically increased base building complexity and size limits.
  • Hundreds of new base parts.
  • Own multiple bases.

Command Freighters

• Assemble and upgrade a fleet of frigates and command them from the bridge of your freighter.
  • Send your fleet out to into the universe, or deploy them to help you as you explore a specific system.
  • Improved freighter base building allows a truly custom capital ship.
  • Invite your friends aboard and take on challenging multiplayer missions from the Galactic Commision Station on your bridge.

I want details on how the MP is implemented. Is it wide open with pre-formed parties, or can I restrict it to those people on a friends list?

Anyone noticed how this last trailer is essentially a remake of the very first one?

Comparison on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/8zmo0u/how_this_game_has_changed_3/

Yeah, when Telefrog first linked it I thought it was some fan spoof. So I spent the first little bit waiting for a punchline or whatever before realizing it was an official video.

Does that trailer show an underwater base, so you can build those like you can in Subnautica?

Yep, you can now build bases anywhere on any planet, and multiple of them.

Niiiice. I’ll be revisiting this game for sure.

I haven’t touched this game since about two weeks after it first came out, and those trailers made me recall that of the 20-odd planets I visited, I never once encountered a single body of water, or any other liquid sea/lake/river. Several of them had lots of flora/fauna, but were otherwise just a bunch of random, drab hills and shallow valleys, with the odd cave or two, and occasionally some repeating rock formations. No rivers or lakes, or mountain ranges, or even slightly different biomes on the same planet, and I was very quickly bored silly.

Has the game changed much in terms of geographical generation since then?