No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

Patch 1.58 just went up. No official patch notes yet, but it’s supposed to be a big one. Timed community events are now a thing which give “Quicksilver” money.

Patch 1.58

Added user permissions for multiplayer, on a per-save slot basis. Settings for visibility, damage + base editing can be customised to apply to all players, friends only, or no-one.
Improved the terrain edit saving system, reducing the chance of terrain regenerating. Further improvements to this system are in progress.
Improved the visuals of player starship trails.
Added archaeology missions to the available pool of missions from planetary NPCs.
Fixed an issue that could prevent players with very large save games from saving.
Fixed a number of issues that prevented save games from loading.
Fixed an issue that incorrectly synced information in multiplayer.
Fixed a number of issues that could cause mission markers to be attached to the wrong destination.
Fixed a number of issues around the refiner and general inventory systems. Improved the pick and drop system of inventory management.
Fixed an issue that caused visual glitches in clouds at higher resolutions.
Fixed occasional crash in geometry streaming when exiting planet atmosphere.
Fixed issue where cloud shadows would interfere with reflection rendering.
Improved consistency between tessellated and non-tessellated terrains.
Improved performance when leaving planets.
Various memory savings, improving overall stability.
Various performance optimisations.
Fixed an issue that could prevent players from going through black holes.
Fixed an issue where players were able to warp and get stuck on the other side of a portal.
Fixed an issue where players were able to enter their freighter base when it was not loaded in memory.
Fixed an issue where players could start their game in inappropriate systems when starting in multiplayer.
Fixed an issue that could cause vast numbers of Sentinel Drones to spawn.
Fixed an issue that prevented players with pre-NEXT saves from fully upgrading their Exosuit.
Fixed an issue where freighter crew would change race on warp.
Fixed an issue where player ships could spawn on the same landing pad in multiplayer.
Fixed a number of cases where freighter battles were not correctly synced in multiplayer.
Fixed an issue where players were not able to land on other player’s freighters.
Fixed a number of issues affecting the interaction with captains of freighters not owned by the player.
Fixed an issue that caused expedition length, difficulty and rewards to scale incorrectly relative to the power of the player’s fleet.
Fixed an issue that caused players to exit their ships / exocraft while tagging a marker.
Fixed an issue where ships landed on freighters to be labelled ON PLANET.
Fixed an issue that caused player ships to have incorrect information when viewed through the Analysis Visor.
Fixed an issue that could cause Sentinels to appear as undiscovered creatures when viewed through the Analysis Visor.
Fixed the axes used to calculate planet coordinates shown on the Analysis Visor.
Prevented players with freighters from warping other players in multiplayer to systems they would get stuck in.
Fixed an issue where the freighter dock lights were not correctly lit/unlit when a save was loaded on a freighter.
Various text fixes.

I was reading that the frigate missions are way longer now but that they give equally larger rewards.

Here’s mine:

Did the new community quest… it asks you to dig up 25 “gimmicks” that replace salvaged technology on a fixed planet for all players. Ugh, I’m not too fond of digging. Anyway, there’s a new store for cosmetics now and I guess the stuff is decent enough. Who wouldn’t want a bronze statue of a dickblob in their home?

Anyway, since I’m going through photos, here’s some more:

Hey, I’ve been to all those planets!

Anyone having difficulty landing on planets, post patch? Can’t land at all, anywhere, including trading post platforms. Ship won’t even attempt it when I hit E. Only using keyboard and mouse at this point. Remapping key did not fix. Restarting the game did not fix.

Auto-landing in stations works, and I can land on my freighters for making repairs. Just can’t land on planets.

Edit: Somehow fixed it by teleporting to my base, walking over to a nearby trading post to hand in a mission to a Gek, teleporting my ship back to the ground below, and was then able to land to my heart’s content. No idea how that fixed it, other than the fact that all the mission notification features were super wonky as well until after doing this. Shrug

Oh, I was happy to see they tweaked the inventory system and item stacks. Now when you attempt to overflow a stack, it’ll cap out at the maximum rather than reject moving the item outright. Also, when you harvest a resource that you already have in an exosuit cargo slot, that item will now go directly into the cargo slot rather than occupy a slot in your main inventory.

A caveat about the new multiplayer permissions settings: I set mine so only friends could join my game * (and of course had made my game joinable), and at some point I quit out to the “mode select” screen. Didn’t see any Steam friends to join, so I fired up my game again because the game does not let you quit to desktop from the mode select screen. As soon as I was back in my game, I started getting a mess of notifications that “so and so joined your game.” I quit immediately because that was my intention anyway, but watch out. If the “friends only” permission doesn’t work there, who knows where else it doesn’t?

*sorry, my mistake, not “a thing” as they say. Randos can join your game but you can restrict the stuff they do a bit, that’s it.

Although I did notice that sometimes in the search for the hex cores for the community goal, the scanner just seemed to stop detecting buried tech modules until you reloaded. And the HUD would often fail to mark your ship’s location.

It’s like an X-Wing and an Imperial Shuttle did the dirty.

Hallelujah!

So last night I participated in the new “community event”. I talked to Polo, jumped through a portal to a new system, dug up 25 widgets and turned them back in to Polo. The planet the widgets were on was filled with other player’s “bases”, which were mostly just base computers in the open or a single room base plopped down so that said players could recall (teleport) back to the planet easily. The weird part was, I didn’t see a single soul the entire time, and I zipped around the planet pretty extensively exploring and looking for more widgets. So much for the “community” in the community event. I did pop over to another planet in the system though and found a dozen or so communication terminals left by previous explorers, mostly with funny messages on them. That was entertaining. Seems like it’s also a nice way to put down a marker for a point of interest you want to revisit later, as the icon is visible from space.

My reward for doing the event was 2000 golden community bucks. I briefly considered blowing them on the new “mind blown” emote, but who would ever see it? Instead I will likely save up for the nice looking helmet graphic, or maybe some icons for my base. The statues are just silly, especially given they come in three different colors/materials. I hope they plan to add a lot more stuff than what’s there now.

And now, some screenshots!

Back in my own system, how often do you hit the trifecta of a Manufacturing Plant, Ancient Ruin and Crashed Freighter all within 100 yards of one another? SCORE! Not pictured, the Trading Post and Minor Settlement that were both just over the hill out of camera range.

The portal planet that Polo directed me to for the Community Quest was filled with these crazy space bubbles! This was taken as I was flying, and you can see the portal itself down below near the middle of the picture. I will explore further assuming the same portal returns me there when I’m done in the Community Quest system.

TIL. Thanks.

It was night time the first time I landed on a planet with space bubbles, which had an even more surreal effect. Something about the way the lighting and the shaders worked at night made it so the bubbles were completely invisible/transparent except for the soft highlight effect. I couldn’t tell they were bubbles at all until the sun came up later, they just started out as all these weird blurry little white floating things. I should’ve taken some screenshots.

Thats awesome, some of the worlds are truly jaw dropping.

Anyone else noticing the thing I mentioned where the scanner seems to stop working until you reload, at least on this community goal mission? And the ship icon in the HUD going away?

Found this in a nms subreddit. Hope it helps somebody.

I love this stuff…till I realize how much of a grind it is to get all this stuff with the inventory mgmt … ugh.

Hmm, I can’t reproduce that now all of a sudden. Not, at least, with one substance.

Also noticed that when I mine Di-hydrogen now, it doesn’t appear anywhere in my inventory.

Same here, even if I just accidentally collect a unit of it by smashing into it doing a melee+jetpack jump.

Also noticed that when I dig up buried modules now, sometimes they’re Hex Cores (that is as intended) but when they aren’t and are still plain old salvaged tech modules, they don’t show up in the inventory.

BTW, are Rocket Boots worth it? And why do my base dudes keep “rewarding” me with a crappy B-class life support upgrade when I already have a much better one installed? Also, I can’t access my storage container stuff in the general inventory screen anymore like before.

I think the “missing” resources are still actually getting collected; they’re just not visible. My missing Di-hydrogen showed up again later, and I was then able to mine for and collect it again. Now it’s happening with Sodium. And I noticed that I can see the missing Sodium stack when I use a Refiner.

Edit: Aha, I’m also noticing that expanding the exosuit inventory seems to be bugged. The newly created slots are not showing up. Wonder if that’s related.

Yeah, it seems there’s a new bug that lets you collect “invisible” resources.

Rocket Boots seem redundant if you have S-Class jetpack (Life Support) upgrades that extend your air time. I skipped them.

The quest rewards for Polo and the base employees seem to be bugged. It’s like the loot tables are stuck on B-Class Life Support and C-Class Ship Shield Modules, as that’s all I’ve received for weeks now. I simply fly up to the space station and sell them to the upgrade vendors for nanites.

So last night, while searching for more Hex Cores, I found a ghost trading post. I’ve never seen one with no aliens and no ships before. The terminal still worked, but it had hardly anything stocked. Weird.