No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

There are also ghost space stations. The theory is that they are from older iterations of the game and are there as a bug.

Wait, you can get nanites for those modules? I wish I’d known that. I also found a ghost trading post on my Hex Core planet (I suspect there must be at least a few of those planets, right?), and the space station was pretty freaky too.

So that was strange. Read strange as fucked up. I log in today to a red screen and an explosion. Then the ‘You’re Dead’ screen. Respawn in the nearby space station next to my ship, no exosuit inventory. Problem is I logged out on my freighter right after a save.

The latest autosave is today, right after death. Thanks Hello Games! Latest manual save is 8/25. So I’m out whatever I was carrying. Wonderful.

I hop into my ship and head back to the freighter. Lo and behold, my grave marker is floating in space next to the freighter! Is there any way to get my stuff back? Yep, I fly to the marker and my stuff is in my ship. Well, after a few inventory moves and flying back and forth.

So what happened? I think I somehow logged in just outside of my freighter? In my ship? And crashed? I have no idea. I made a backup of my save folder right away. This was annoying.

Yup, three exosuit capacity upgrades, and the new slots are simply not showing up. Affects main suit slots only, I think.

Holy bleeding fucknuggets. It happened again. I’m suddenly logging in under my ship! It immediately pushes me through the floor of my freighter and into space. Then my life support goes south and I die. How do I fix this?

Manual save game. :( Sadly thats what i had to do when I got in a death loop.

Yeah. Second time I exited to DT fast. Reloaded. As soon as I got in I slid to the left, real fast. I got lucky. Finally did what I should have done long ago and made the save device. I’m going to make save file backups regularly as well. Can’t be too careful, the game does have rough edges.

Concrete evidence of the missing exosuit slot. Top screenshot is of a transfer-to-storage screen, showing the slot as it should be (lower left in suit inventory). Bottom screenshot is of my exosuit inventory, with the missing slot.

I’m going to make save file backups regularly as well

Good idea I am gonna do the same.

Yeah as you and @barstein pointed out the game has got pretty buggy this update. Hopefully they will fix it asap.

Maybe I have been playing too much (and I have been having a blast) but the planets are getting pretty samey as well. Maybe I am just unlucky though.

25 hours in and I have yet to find one of those paradise planets. OTOH I tend to spend a lot of time in each system before warping. Not a problem. I’m taking this slowly. Savoring it, if you will.

Edit: And my last log in I appeared on top of the wing instead of under it. It may have been that I didn’t just exit ship and log. I walked far away and then exited.

Thats the right way to play for sure. I forgot I found a moon with what can only be described as “glitter” in the air last week. It was lovely.

Yeah, inventory slot weirdness is endemic in this latest build. I was at a trade terminal and it said I had two antimatter containment dealies in my exosuit, but I’d quit out of the interface and look in my inventory and they wouldn’t be there. So I went back in and sold them since I obviously couldn’t access them anyway, heh.

How to reliably recover all hidden items from invisible inventory slots:

1. Clear a bunch of slots in your inventory.
  2. Go to a refinery & filter by your inventory.
  3. Look for items that you know you can’t see in your inventory. (Note that storage containers only see the first invisible slot, not all of them.)
  4. Drag them into the craft slot to the left and then move them back into your inventory (or into your ship inventory, if you lack the room).

This will clear all the invisibile slots out. Stuff only goes into them when the rest of your inventory is full.

That’s great. But the problem is, when will it be fixed? And when it is, what else will break. I may be bitter. :) All or most of the recent changes are not explained anywhere. So we are not only exploring space. We are also exploring the code, somehow.

Dunno. They’re a tiny team, so it’ll probably be a while.

I’m currently trying to find a new system/planet for a more permanent base. I’m thinking a Prosperous Gek system with the right kind of planets (including one Paradise planet, I guess.)

I don’t really have a good grasp yet on all that goes into what makes up the different kinds of systems. I mean, I know there are important differences between the high wealth system types (Advanced, Prosperous, Wealthy, etc.) but identifying the differences has been a challenge.

Right now I’m on a planet that has a crapload of rocks that give ferrite powder and uranium. I spend a lot of time shooting rocks. Because uranium.

I’ve played the game close to 70 hours and have yet to find a Gek-run system. It’s mostly been Korvax systems with one or two Vy’keen ones. Of course I’ve only been to a total of maybe 8 systems, so…
BTW I worked on the Artemis quest line and got to the part where you end up going through the Portal, apparently never to return.
Luckily, I had the presence of mind to do a manual save before that. I wasn’t quite ready to make that leap.

Affected my cargo, was able to recreate bug dragging items to cargo from the refiner output.

I handed HG a save with the steps to replicate this off the experimental branch maybe a day or so before they put it all live anyway. No clue.

The steps to recover items from the invisible slots are good, and one way to get the invisible slots to show up again, if you haven’t maxed inventory is to upgrade that inventory. My next pod find made them come back.

Haven’t gone to the event yet, between me being busy and the connection needed being down, no chance.

Is anyone else getting units on mouse over with the scanner of previously scanned things? Not a scan, with a scan bar like on a new thing, just a mouseover.

I find them about the expected 1/3 of the time. Odds of not finding a Gek in 8 systems is (2/3)^8 = uh 4%. So it’s not entirely unreasonable, just unlikely. But you ought to be able to select random nearby systems in free-movement mode until you find a Gek one. But wow, you’ve spent a lot of time in just a few systems.

Re your spoiler, you can always teleport back afterwards from the local station in the system with the portal exit.

Just upgraded a ship, forgot to dismantle the stuff in the Technology area, grr, so rebuilding a bunch of stuff I don’t have materials for yet.

Does the Indium Drive supersede all other drives? E.g. it can get you to any type of system, right?