No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

Holy crap! That is a serious BASE for serious spacemen. Very nice. Bonus points for having your new exotic parked in the picture! How many millions of units worth of Living Glass does that thing crank out per play session?

I need to build something like that eventually. Still too nomadic though. Spent last night farming nanites by both refining Platinum (too expensive) and Residual Goop (much cheaper, but time consuming). I ran into issues though, as Tritium doesn’t convert to Platinum when placed in a portable refiner. Do you have to use the larger base refiners to be able to select the output product? Also, Residual Goop refines to Viscous Fluids in the portable refiner, which you then need to refine again to receive Living Jelly, which then needs to be refined again to receive Runaway Mould, which finally refines again into nanites. That’s a hell of a lot of time in the refiner (all the goop elements refine 1:1, so you only expend carbon in the process) to get 50 nanites at the end.

Thankfully, the space station agent was very helpful in handing out tasks that rewarded me with between 75-200 nanites. At the end of the night I’d refined/earned enough to put 3 S-Class Pulse Engine upgrades and 1 S-Class Hyperdrive upgrade into my new hauler. I only need a few hundred more nanites to round out the other 2 Hyperdrive upgrades (plus I need to find systems where they are for sale).

While I do that I am going to try and tackle Polo’s next task for me, which is to scan all the flora and fauna on a planet to earn the Milestone.

Why aren’t you using the large refiner? You can avoid the carbon as it doesn’t need fuel.

I’ll let you know next time I complete a Living Glass production cycle. It’s been a little wonky since the plants haven’t been in sync.

I’m guessing he’s refining in a station while mining asteroids. Doesn’t want to go all the way back to base.

So far as I know, even larger refiners only have a single output product choice available.

Just read that it’s possible to farm large quantities of nanites by completing a large number of “exterminate creatures” and “kill sentinals” missions. Basically you visit all the mission agents at stations you’ve been to before and accept any mission that involves killing creatures or sentinals, then once you have a large number of said missions in your queue, complete it and turn them all in.

Because I no longer have a base (it got eaten in the 1.58 update somehow) and have no wish to build one where I am currently located. I’ve been pretty nomadic recently, jumping through black holes and moving towards the center of the galaxy, and I’m too lazy to spend the time it would take to plop down a decent base somewhere and portal back to it all the time just to refine stuff. Besides, carbon and condensed carbon are so super easy to replenish.

I just wondered if the base refiner operated any different in terms of output. Supposedly you can refine Tritium into Platinum at 5:1, but when I put Tritium in my Portable Refinery it tells me it’s going to make Di-hydrogen.

EDIT : Oh, I see why. Apparently Tritium no longer refines to Platinum. Now you need to combine Silver (1) and Gold (1) to create Platinum(1) in a base refinery. Looks like the only way to refine Nanites on the cheap is to buy up tons of Goop and refine it over and over until you get Runaway Mould, which refines to Nanites at 5:1.

I basically did a variation of that last night, taking on two destroy Sentinel tasks, a Raid Depot task, two “Take a Picture” tasks and one Kill Pirate task from a pair of space stations and completing them all in one go, earning over 1000 nanites in the process.

Ah, no wonder I was confused. I thought you’d found a loophole, or that I was misreading the wiki info. Yeah, buying gloop sounds like the easiest/fasted method. I think the quest idea is interesting, but probably would take longer.

More Community Research content, new Quicksilver Synthesis items, and fixes/feature changes. The list of fixes/changes listed on the update page appears to be a mixture of things they’ve already fixed in the 1.59 update and also things they’re still working on:

• Fixing an issue that prevents shared bases from downloading while exploring.
  • Adding new attack behaviours to the Biological Horrors…
  • Enabling terrain tessellation on PS4 (base and Pro) and Xbox One X. New dynamic tessellation enables detailed terrain height maps without sacrificing performance.
  • New, custom options for body shape have been added to the appearance modifier. This gives players far greater control over how they appear in the universe, increasing the diversity and variety of characters for all races
  • Based on feedback from the community, we’ve added the ability for players on PC to set Hotkey Bindings to rapidly access options in the quick menu. This allows players to bind commonly used functions such as switching to third person, using their torch, or entering photo mode to number keys (or those mice that have loads of buttons).

Excellent.

I crudely tested the goop/slime/viscous fluid -> runaway mould -> nanites process out last night. Station terminals seem to keep a stock of 15k Residual Goop on hand, and the price is good. I used three large refiners and it took awhile, but it’s pretty simple and painless.

May as well also mention, in case others here also missed it, that travelers at stations and trading posts will purchase nanites for a decent price. Highest I’ve seen was 50k per 15 nanites, and it looks like their pockets are bottomless. I’m fortunate in that my go-to trading post (for selling products at a good price) happens to have one standing on the platform. (Incidentally, I installed a base computer and a teleporter on the platform.)

I’m no longer selling off mine, though, because I have other good sources of income now and want to save up my nanites, but it’s worth knowing about early on IMO.

I’m having all sorts of issues with quests not showing up. I’m only a few hours in and think the easier method would be reset and start over. Any “starting tips” now that the new version has been out for a bit?

Do you mean they don’t show up at all in your log? (Open the menu – P on the PC – and click on the log tab.)

Or do you just mean the notification thingy that appears in an overlay in the lower right of your screen while playing?

If the latter, you can get quests to show up there again by going to the log, clicking on some other random quest, and then click on the quest you’re interested in again. Quests are very buggy and weird, but this trick works for me each time.

The entire base building questline just disappeared for me. I’d rather just start over than spend any more time trying to figure out how I broke it. I’ve done nothing of value so far, except find a crashed ship.

Been playing a bit recently. My latest favorite trick for dealing with sentinels when you aggro them- just dig a hole, lure it in, run back out, cover the entrance over and go back to doing whatever it was you were doing. Works even on ‘high security’ worlds. No more droids get called, the alarm never escalates, etc.

My guess is you’re playing on a legacy save (a save created before the NEXT update). Probably no way to fix it at this point. I’d start over.

Very creative! Personally, when I agro them, I just start running away. They almost always give up after a bit.

I just read that frigates tend to bring back significant quantities of geodesite and iridesite. I’ve just been selling stuff like that off, but apparently both can be refined 1:250 into platinum.

Also, I did not know that when fleets are out on missions it is possible to go visit them and unload them of goods. I have no idea how that’s done or why, but it’s the recommended thing to do for some reason.

“So you wish to create a fleet of indestructible fury? I will join you. My ship is the best ship. It’s unbelievably powerful!”

::Examine frigate::

Class C 19 attack. Nothing else.

Fuck off.

By High Security worlds, do you mean the ones where the Sentinels will attack you on sight?

Yeah, now that I think about it, I think their agro has the same cooloff on high security worlds (worlds where they are labeled as “frenzied”, etc.). What’s different is that they agro in the first place on sight.

Yeah, they’re either ‘frenzied’ or ‘threatening’. The game had a base-building mission on the Overseer path that needed Gravitino Balls, and the tooltip mentioned that they could usually be found on ‘high-security worlds’. I jumped into a red system nearby, and the planets were all listed as ‘[Redacted] Planet’ or ‘Malfunctioning Planet’ and were super weird. The latter has the Gravitino Balls everywhere, but the the sentinels attacked on sight. So I learned to just bury the first one that came my way and just went about my business. Now whenever I’m just out mining and I catch the interest of one, I deliberately provoke it, bury it, and continue on as normal.