No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

Brilliant! Hmmmm… Does this work on horrors? Dig a cave with two entrances. Then grab whatever and run. They enter cave, you exit and seal exit one. Then run to first opening and seal that one.

Whoa. I’ll have to try that!

I salute you Traveler! o7

Horrors I have tried to enclose in walls via the terrain manipulator seem to be able to climb the walls with ease. But that burying trick might just work. Inspired, love it.

I have done the “plop down a base computer and build four wooden walls around a clutch of eggs” thing and it works pretty well.

Must just be the terrain, then. I ended up sticking with the tried and true “take an egg and flee to the top of a building” method, sometimes grabbing a few eggs from the other side as well before camping and waiting.

Recent bugs I’ve seen:

• Capital ship crew race bug still seems to be in effect. Had a Gek crew, bought a new Korvax ship, and later when I visited it the crew had changed to Gek.
  • Now when frigates report damage and abort missions, half the time when I visit them to conduct repairs they actually have no damage. Sometimes this seems to change again when visiting the capital ship and you have to head back and make the repairs after all, sometimes not.
  • The inventory bug is more extensive than I’d thought. Seems when you fill up a storage container you can (sometimes?) no longer take items out of it because the game thinks your inventory is full. Only fix is to completely empty out your inventory, then take items out of the storage container. Sometimes in the process, clicking on a slot in the storage container magically produces items you didn’t think you had. I think there may still be invisible inventory slots at play here.
  • When your active ship is out of launch fuel, you can’t summon any ships until you refuel that ship. Even if you switch over to another ship that happens to be around, first.

Edit: Oh and a weird one, where random interfaces appear when you initiate warp gate travel. Once, I was shown the fleet mission screen and could even pick missions from it, while still looking at the warp gate in the background.

Edit 2: Oh, and the teleporter seems to also randomly unlock crafting blueprints.

Here is a perfect example of how obtuse NMS can be sometimes:

My most recent Pogo milestones task was to complete “Naturalist” level 1, which simply means discovering all the creatures (fauna) on a single planet. I’m thinking “easy peasy” given that I had already done this on at least two planets I can remember from ages ago. So I take the quest, look for one of those planets in my Discovery log, and upload all the fauna. Nothing happens (except I receive a few nanites for uploading my discovery).

So I think to myself, OK, I know how picky NMS quests can be, so maybe I have to have the quest active and discover the creatures, maybe using old discoveries won’t work? So I land on a planet where I have already found a few critters, spend time discovering the rest while running around completing other tasks, and when I reach 9 of 9 critters located, I flip to the Discoveries page and upload the critters. Nothing happens (except for more nanites).

I am about to get really pissed off when I notice the quest text has changed. It now tells me to “click the silver paw in the Discoveries page”. I’m thinking “what the hell is a silver paw…”, so I open the Discoveries page and lo and behold, at the top of the full list of uploaded creatures there is a paw icon which has turned silver and is now clickable. I do this, and receive the 400 nanite reward for uploading all critters AND the quest text turns over to “Go see Polo again”.

I mean, I know it’s mostly my own fault, but you would think that they would have including a little animation or some text pop-up message that says “Hey stupid, you just spent all that time scanning all the creatures on the whole planet, how about clicking this here paw icon to actually, you know, get credit for it!”. That, or just give you the credit when you upload the final creature(s).

Anyway, I think I am nearing the end of the Polo quests, which will mean my only remaining meta-task will be finding the center of the galaxy and tooling around the galactic hub for a bit before diving through the final black hole to move to the next galaxy beyond Euclid.

Actually, I wouldn’t be surprised if that little paw (and the accompanying tooltip text) were there the whole time. One thing I like about the game is that for a lot of quests, you get credit immediately even if you’ve already done the thing. I ran into this a ton with the base-building lines. Talk to the quest-giver, wait a few moments for the game to catch up, talk to them again to turn it in. The key is to actually read what’s in the quest tooltip (or description in the log) and follow it’s instructions.

I also like that you can get mission credit for multiple missions for song the same thing. The other day I had for missions- kill 8/8/13/30 creatures. I just killed 30, and all four were satisfied. Yes, I’m a monster.

So what’s the deal with unlocking new technology blueprints? I’m not finding any at manufacturing plants or operation centers (granted, rarely find the latter via a signal booster). Do I need to do more main quests?

Also, discovered today that wild plants can be blocked from regrowth. I’m seeing a number of wild solar vine patches still not regrowing after a couple of days. I have vague suspicions as to what could be involved, but no solutions or workarounds yet.

Strange, that is how I unlocked most of mine, got them as rewards for blowing open the doors and shutting down the alarms on Manufacturing Plants and Ops Centers. That was before the most recent patch though, so maybe something broke in the loot tables and they no longer give those rewards? There isn’t any other way of learning new item blueprints that I know of.

So I cobbled together enough nanaites to install the S-Class tech I wanted in my hauler, and am back to over 100 million units as well thanks to trading while I collected the nanites and tech. I still have a couple of milestones to go in the Pogo quest line, and I still would like to reach the galatic hub and core, jump through the black hole there, and emerge in another galaxy. Maybe find a nice planet there and build a proper base this time too.

However that is all going to be put on hold, as Bard’s Tale IV released last night, and I’ve installed my Kickstarter backer copy and will probably spend most of my gaming time on that new adventure in the coming days.

Sorry, I’m getting new product recipes that way (things like Aronium and Dirty Bronze), and should have specified that I was looking for multi-tool, exosuit, freighter, and starship technology blueprints.

Starting to think now that technology blueprints of this nature might only be obtainable through missions and Blueprint Traders. Or maybe the manufacturing facility and operation centers don’t start yielding tech blueprints at my current faction level (mediumish I think) or mission progress (not far on the main quests yet).

Love hearing about the Polo quest line stuff and your quest for the hub. Not quite ready to jump into all that yet.

One thing to be aware of is that each race has different blueprints to unlock at their manufacturing facilities. You can easily get all of one races blueprints if you hit a lot of facilities in their system(s). When you stop getting them, move on to another race’s system and raid their factories instead. You’ll get different blueprints.

I ran into this in my starting Korvax system and had to go to a Gek system to get more blueprints.

Downloading 1.60 on PC.

Ooh thanks for the heads up. A new NWS version for the weekend sounds like just the ticket :) Err NMS ;)

Ah. This is for No Man’s Sky. I’m not sure about No Woman’s Sky. :)

lol thanks! :) Sorry bout typo!

New No Man’s Sky version, new Helium Rain version, new Monster Hunter World patch, and Crosscode final release version.

Busy day in gamedev world.

Ooh, glad I left the game running at home. This should give me a chance to empty my storage containers before updating. (Unless it’s true that only containers on frigates were affected.)

• Replaced storage containers on freighters with purpose-built storage rooms. Materials have been refunded and new blueprints added automatically. Build the new rooms to access stored items.

Yeah, I tried this last night. Still only finding product recipes. I’m positive this is how it’s supposed to work, and that either secure facilities no longer yield tech blueprints for the multi-tool, starship, etc. or that they’re very rare. I’ve read that the Nada + Polo quests are the way to go, here, so I guess I’ll jump into that soon.

Beware, folks. Creatures are now attacking randomly. Keep your head on a swivel.