No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

anyone playing this on X? Thinking of firing it back up and not sure I feel like playing 100% solo again

No Man’s Sky has crossplay now between PS4, Xbox and PC, so you shouldn’t have problems finding people to play with. ;)

Crossplay existing does not always make it smooth, from voice chat to party formation issues it can be rough depending on game. XBSeX crashed on this 3 times yesterday so probably waiting for a patch

If you are intending to group up, @Harkonis, it’s best to complete most/all of the Artemis Path first, as there are issues that can break story missions while in multiplayer mode/grouped. Or at the very least, play alone until everyone has unlocked the Anomaly, and then put aside the story and base-related missions while you play together.

damn, every time I’m away for too long from this game though, I feel like I have to start over again.
I log in after maybe half a year and stare at my base and wonder what I was doing there or what my next move was. This time, the planet I was on was sort of… red all over. I thought something was wrong with my picture settings and kept fiddeling with them, but it seems the planet had just changed. There were new animals and plants there as well, and I ended up feeling kind of stumped an just got back out again.

Yeah, they changed a few things in planet generation a couple updates back. My main base planet in Euclid got a lot prettier when that happened, in fact.

none of the planets I had bases on have any wildlife at all anymore. Spent hours trying to find some for companion update. Will have to go to new planets next time I fire it up

Ah, that explains it.

Is there anyone who has dug out an entire ancient building? I remember starting that (painfully long) process on that exact planet. I figured I wanted to see what it would look like in its entirety. When I came back now, that building was gone =/

Is that a new thing from the past year?

Hmm i don’t think so, the ancient ruins have been around for at least 2-3 years, sinve I started playing. It’s the old buildings where you find the Graviton balls (Gravity?)

There’s so much to do I haven’t had the urge to dig up an ancient ruin. Who knows though, maybe there’s something cool there if you do it!

I just wish the new stuff they’ve been adding led to some kind of increasing challenge or new revelation quest sequence or whatever. I’m just not enough into the game to care about fluff and frippery features.

Quite a few of them did. A couple updates back, in the same update that did some tweakings to the planet generation algorithm, they added these big populated structures that give more insight into the general “lore” of the universe.

The same applies to the Artemis path, which they added well after release. The bioship also has a few lore elements of its own. It’s pretty cool.

Started over with a new game after at least a year without playing this, and I’ve never gone too far past a dozen or so hours on any of my previous games.

So this is, again, a lot of new stuff to me. The last time I played, the Anomaly was basically a regular space station except with Nada and Polo, now it’s apparently a bustling multiplayer hub of some kind!

Can someone give me things without any action on my part? When I look around at other human players, the main and only interaction I see is to hold square to offer to group up, which I have not attempted.

Sometimes I see what I assume is like a local text chat/log pop up.

At some point I noticed something in another language but the value 9,999 show up a couple of times in that on screen chat log. I didn’t pay any attention to it. Then later on I was looking at my inventory, and I had two slots of 9,999 Activated Cadmium that I absolutely didn’t get myself. So did someone gift me that and I just didn’t realize it?

They sure did. Rich players like to hang out at the Anomaly giving stuff out to newer players. It’s one of the few things late game money is good for. You can use the transfer function to send something to a nearby player, much like you can send stuff to external inventories. Unsolicited gifting is pretty commonplace in the Anomaly, and most players seem to appreciate it. (Personally, I usually just delete stuff when it shows up like that, to avoid shortening play time in a newer save.)

If that gift was appreciated and you want more, you could hang out in front of the big mission terminal or the quicksilver kiosk near it, and just go afk for a while. Players will often interpret that as a hint, and give you various things like valuable products, or void eggs.

I started playing this again recently. It is a lovely, lovely game. I’ve been really enjoying it.
Here’s my modest base :)

What is wrong with these people? Its like they don’t understand capitalism at all!

Honestly, this is a seriously impressive “update”. I airqoute update because this is …again…something that would be an expansion for pretty much any other game.

Yes, agreed. After that “eventful” original release, Hello Games not only updated the game until it matched their pre-release hype, as they went above and beyond. NMS today is what most games would be after a sequel or two.

I can’t wait to start an expedition today. I love this game. ;)

What a packed update. Looks great. I wonder if the exploration emphasis (and Explorer design tweak) means they’ll be doing additional themed updates relating to each of the other starship classes.