No Man's Sky - Exploring a 60s-Scifi-cover themed universe (post-release thread)

Unless you’re posting some anti-vaccine garbage or racist or sexist sentiments, there’s not much here that gets called out as “wrong” or against the forum. These are all casual discussions and saying you didn’t enjoy your experience in a No Man’s Sky expedition is no more wrong than saying you did enjoy it.

Except for all the creeps that support pineapple on pizza. They are wrong.

I’ve had deeply unpopular opinions about games and movies and tv shows but really the only place you get crucified for a different opinion is P&R. Maybe you are reading the tone of the responses different from the way they’ve been intended.

I liked Supernatural, even the ending. And I’ve never watched Gilmore Girls. As Telefrog said, stay away from P&R type opinions outside of P&R and no one is really judging you. We’re all random old people on the internets masquerading as Muppets and various other figures pining for the days of the internet being an underground for tech heads only - we grew up on crap stuff.

I was going to say you’re wrong in saying that, but for some reason I don’t think that would help. ;)

I agree. It’s stupid.

I’m with you on those.

Please stay. I’m definitely an odder fit for this board, and by some standards as a gamer at all. I need the company. ;)

Sometimes I take recharge breaks though. In these times, a good idea from anything, for anything. Times are rough outside games.

I haven’t been able to stick this expedition either. Even the lure of the tech is meh since the actual ship ends up being a model I dislike in a color I dislike. Deep red double wing, and my preference in exotics is lighter colored guppies. I restarted many times, and the same model always.

I haven’t been able to stick the last update due to bugs. That will sort itself out eventually. And I’m sure I have fun left in this game, even if it is mostly showing it to family that hasn’t seen it yet. Yeah, the systems are shallow, but to those newly retired and new to games, or new to the genre, or people my age slowing down … that ends up being a plus. I’ll keep playing it intensely in short spurts. But my next spurt will be after some more bug fixes, or maybe when someone I know is a good fit to check it out.

I feel like I often agree with your take more than I disagree. Other times I’m just jealous of you. I wish I liked the end of Battlestar Galactica too! How come you get to enjoy it and I don’t? Damn it. I need your brain.

I’m very late to the NMS party, but here’s my recently acquired “SW-8 Resurgent Interest”:

S class, max size captial freighter with 34+9 slots. It’s absolutely huge. The frigate in front of it almost disappears.

Very impressed with what Hello Games has done with the game. It is very different to what I played at launch.

Nice! :)
That looks awesome.

No big update for now. Just a new Expedition.

The patch unbroke my settlement :-o

Ooo! So basically a Dune tie/cash-in. :)

I enjoyed the previous one quite a bit, I’d love another this soon. It’s out today, with a patch and mini-update. Apparently this is the first expedition with a dedicated narrative. Seems we’re stuck on one planet for much of it again. Here’s the spiel:

In Expedition Four: Emergence, travelers will find themselves stranded on planet Wasan, a barren world ravaged by dust storms and infested with Titan Worms. It is up to you to locate the Titan Worm impact sites, destroy the wretched Hungering Tendrils, and collect the Vile Spawn that lingers behind. The vessels of the many mouths must be purged.

Hunt the titanic sandworms and their larvae, cleanse planets of cursed dust, uncover the history of a dark cult, and confront the Atlas with evidence of this indelible stain upon the universe.

Exclusive rewards for this expedition include the many-toothed feasting casque, your very own sandworm companion, a gooey jetpack trail and firework, an eerie titanic skull to add macabre decor to bases, and more!

Woohoo. Finished expedition 4 and received a flying “Dune” sand worm as a pet. Took about 6 hours of gameplay.

I picked this up for half off on Steam. Still noodling around with the more or less scripted tutorial stuff (second planet I think, just beginning to learn how to build stuff). Pretty darn intriguing if nothing else.

I get tempted each time it goes on sale. I am not really into crafting or even the part gathering sort of exploration stuff. I mostly want combat in my games. And yet… The wild open universe to stumble around in while in VR is the tempting part for me. I played it a bit on PSVR and the blurry element was a big turn off. However, seeing giant mushrooms towering over me, sheltering in a snow cave among glowing fauna during a storm, or feeling that woozy rush as I circled around the planet looking to land were all pretty stand out experiences. I am thinking playing it on PC with the Reverb G2 that I have would be pretty cool as an experience. Maybe.

I’d hate to put you off an excellent game, but to be honest:

…there’s a LOT of this in NMS. So be aware of that.

I like crafting, exploration, all that. Inventory management, not so much, but it goes with the territory. I do like the crazy adrenaline rush of trying to find sodium for your hazard suit or oxygen for life support as a storm is closing in and it’s -90 C.

My favorite is running around like a crazy person while harvesting storm crystals in the middle of a lightning storm, jetpacking from peak to peak until I’m almost out of sodium, then digging a hole and waiting for the storm to pass. The second rush comes after heading back to the market terminal and watching the credits roll in from selling the crystals for major bank.

Good times.

It is very cool. At half resolution. And it’s still impossible to get running flawlessly.

I wouldn’t play it any other way though!

Sounds like a low risk purchase, especially if you get it on sale or via GamePass. I don’t think the crafting/gathering consideration would be a deal-breaker for you, as you could just jump into Creative Mode which mitigates most of that stuff for folks who don’t enjoy it. Although now that I say that, starting off in Normal and dipping your toes in there might actually be a better early experience depending.